The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to tell if K130 cone is original
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2017 6:41 pm    

I recently bought a JBL K130 on ebay. Is there way to tell by looking at the cone if it's original? The speaker looks and sounds excellent. The cone looks like what I would expect for a speaker that old, but still in great shape. Not shiny like a new re-cone job.

Is there an easy way to know for sure?

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2017 8:58 pm    

Might be a cone code stamped on the back of the cone.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2017 11:04 pm    

Look for the number 21057 stamped on the back side of the cone. If it's there it's either an original or a JBL recone with all the correct components.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 26 Jan 2017 8:18 am    

Look at where the spider meets the edge of the frame, if there is any glue showing, it is probably a re-cone.

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2017 7:05 am    

21057, it's a keeper!

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2017 3:27 pm    

Tommy, a word of caution. Just because it's original don't mean it's a great speaker. I was once told by someone in the community that knows what he's talking about, that "there is no great ones still out there". Age has played it's part on them. I've bought about 6 of the K130's that were original and had to get them all reconned.

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2017 6:01 pm    

Dave, thanks for the advice. I guess I'll know it's time for a recone when it stops sounding great like it does now.

Ron la Villa

England, UK
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2022 7:49 am    

Is there any way a JBL K130 cone can be original without the number stamped inside the cone?

Jeffrey Maxwell

Amarillo, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2022 9:01 am     K130

Ron,
Are there any numbers stamped on the cone? Probably not the original cone without the 21057 number, but
it might be an actual JBL recone kit in it however. JBL was supplying E130 kits for that speaker up until
they discontinued kits for the older speakers. I installed lots of them-I used to do service for JBL.

Jeff

Ron la Villa

England, UK
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2022 9:10 am    

Thanks so much for getting back to me Jeffrey no there are no visible numbers apparently on the inside of the cone whatsovere

The seller tells me that when he holds it up to the light you can see the light come through where the cone meets which apparently is how they're supposed to be but I honestly don't know..This is for a Sho Bud amplifier which I originally had JBL D130s,so I'm trying to get it as close to spec as possible being fully aware that a JBL K130 from age might not have much life left in it.

Last edited by Ron la Villa on 12 Nov 2022 3:59 am; edited 2 times in total

Ron la Villa

England, UK
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2022 9:12 am    

Ron la Villa

England, UK
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2022 9:14 am    

Ron la Villa

England, UK
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2022 9:18 am    

I hear that if it is not the original speaker or an original JBL recone that it's not really Worth having redone by anyone else.

Last edited by Ron la Villa on 12 Nov 2022 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Jeffrey Maxwell

Amarillo, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2022 12:12 pm     k130

I would say that is definitely not the original cone.
It looks like an aftermarket cone--not from JBL.
Gaskets are wrong color and wrong material for JBL parts.
The surround(outer edge of cone) looks wrong also. It should look like this picture

Ron la Villa

England, UK
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2022 1:39 pm    

I thought it wasn't right and gave it a swerve,thank you so much for confirming!Really invaluable advice I really appreciate it thanks again!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2022 5:12 pm    

When you see a speaker with a gasket is that is "pieced" (usually 4 pieces) that's a good sign that it's had a re-cone. That's not necessarily a bad thing because sometimes a speaker that's been re-coned can sound better than an original one with a cone that's old and dry. For a musician, if it sounds good, it is good. Only collectors care about maximum vintage value because they're super-picky. And yes, they can tell if a speaker's ever been removed or replaced, even if it was replaced with an identical original speaker! Winking

Ron la Villa

England, UK
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2022 8:31 pm    

Thats a very useful tip for spotting a recone, thanks. And I agree, especially with something that old that a recone would be welcome if it sounded good or preserved the character of the speaker,(and amp) .In this particular case however I'd been told by every source I've contacted that if it wasn't reconed with a long discontinued jbl recone kit the differences in voice coil and material would wind up sounding nothing like a K130 and, as this is for a Sho Bud single channel restoration that originally had a D130,I may as well try to just get a new speaker. I'm in the UK so a Weber isn't an option unfortunately and the Eminence EPS-15c's are out of production, so finding a speaker that will fit the bill is going to be tough, (when I found this Sho Bud it had an Eminence ME15 300 in it).
Great tips on this forum, I'm genuinely grateful to the members.

Jeffrey Maxwell

Amarillo, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2022 6:33 am     Jbl D130

Ron,
Too bad we're not located closer. I have a few of the JBL D130F speakers I am working on. One of them would be perfect for the Sho Bud amp.
Good luck finding a speaker.

Jeff

Ron la Villa

England, UK
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2022 8:18 am    

Thank you so much Jeff for your' invaluable advice, and really wish I could benefit from your expertise and just buy the real deal from you, maybe if tour dates take me through in the future-I'll make this Cain as good as I can get it -Eminemce Travis Troy and Paul Franklin PF350 look like the only reasonable alternatives-

Dan Murphy

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2022 7:58 am     JBL Recone kits

Hey guys, for what it's worth I just reconed both my D130s.I bought the kits from Soundspeaker.com The kits are completely disassembled. You have to build the kit. The correct materials and voice coil built to JBL specs' This was my first attempt at speaker recone.It was tedious, but it worked great! I put them in a pair of Peavey bandits and get comps all the time on the tone. Cool Check them out! they have videos of how to step by step! The kits are correct down to the gasket material, and you can get either a cloth or paper surround.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2022 8:13 am    

Dan, how long ago did you buy kits? Website is dead and for sale. Thanks

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2022 8:26 am    

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/jbl-speaker-recone-kits.html

Far as I know, this Fla. company is still active. They offer DIY kits for many brands.

Anyone not interested or able for a DIY job and seeking an in house speaker recone would be wise to contact forum member Jeffrey Maxwell though. His work is excellent and his prices are fair.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 4 Dec 2022 8:48 am; edited 2 times in total

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2022 8:45 am    

Jerry thanks, I was just at their website and it's active. Never tried reconing a speaker but I have 2 D120F out of my 135w twin that needs it. Good winter project.