The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  D10 or UNIVERSAL
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 2:44 pm    

I've been playing a U-12 with 7+5 for about a dozen years. I use the Newman tuning, but, I added the first and second string raises, plus a sixth string lower on my LKR knee lever.
I don't play jazz or popular music. I play mostly country and Western swing. And, this tuning suits me perfectly. The transition from going to E-9th to B-6th is as simple as laying on my RKR knee lever and vice versa. It's no big deal holding that knee lever in, either. Even if you wanted play it like an extended E9th, the lower strings are an octave lower than strings 5,6 and 8. Many guitar riffs can be gotten there.
I play it like one tuning, because I switch back and forth a lot, at times.
I've played E9th for many years and wanted to delve into the 6th playing. But, I'm really uncomfortable with a D-10. I have short arms and short legs and a D-10 doesn't work that well for me. Of course there's the obvious statement, that, you don't have a D string. Well, you can raise the 9th string B to a D with a knee lever and there, you have it. I use it a lot.
On the other hand, if you're a big C-6th player with a lot of changes. I don't know if you can get all of that on a single body. Not being a steel builder, I don't know the disadvantages of the narrower body. But, I can see where that, would be a drawback. But, all the basic 6th playing can be done on a U-12. I did it on an S-10 for years, but, without the lower strings. Now, I have pretty close to the next best thing.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 4:44 am    

John, this is very good on your ability. I wish I was close to you, and take some lessons. I have started with the U-12, just recently, and love. I am looking to get another, which has the lever on the left knee for the changes they just started putting on guitars. I was wondering how it works. Does it get in the way, or does it fold up out of the way. I don't play out, no place around here to play any more. Thanks.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 5:08 am    

Tom Quinn wrote:
The twelves have true believers but you don't see them much on bandstands with hot groups. I'd look at what the great players use and go there. For me it is most definitely a D10...

I'm glad Emmons and Day didn't feel this way. We would all still be playing nonpedal steel. Laughing

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 6:55 am    

bob. probably true, and if they thought the way you are, we'd still be driving Model A's.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 7:21 am    

Sorry bob, I took your answer wrong. Yes, I agree with you. I agree there are more playing the D-10, and there are more lessons for each of the tunings, but when you really look at the U-12 for what it gives, you lose nothing. Everything is still there. You can use the same lessons for the same tuning. Yes, it impresses people when you walk in, start setting up these two necks, and everyone is AH'd, but the end is the music. It is all about what do I like and enjoy playing. I would say that 80% of my friends who play steel, don't even play the C6th side, but still have it, but still tune by ear, and swear by all of it. People are a product of change, it's all about do they want too. Just play and get what YOU want.

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 7:58 am    

Jim, no problem. Buddy Emmons saw the value in a single neck tuning. He was the king of the D10, yet he continued to exsplore the single tuning ideal from both an E and C prospective. I guess what I was trying to say in my other post was If buddy said I'm just going to play what the pros are playing. He would have stuck with the non pedal steel and there may not have been a pedal steel. I'm a big advocate of a single neck tuning.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 10:37 am    

Yes, that is what I understood after I made the other stupid post. Yes, I sure agree. How far are you from Opp, Al?

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 5:51 pm    

When I had a single neck 10 string and was thinking about moving up I decided on a 12 string Uniiversal. I also figured if I got a D-10, the C6 neck would become an arm rest. It took a while to get to the B6 side of the guitar. Glad I went the 12 string route.

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 2:33 pm    

Jim Reynolds wrote:
Yes, that is what I understood after I made the other stupid post. Yes, I sure agree. How far are you from Opp, Al?

Jim, about 350 miles. I'm in North east Alabama.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 8:20 pm    

bob drawbaugh wrote:
Tom Quinn wrote:
The twelves have true believers but you don't see them much on bandstands with hot groups. I'd look at what the great players use and go there. For me it is most definitely a D10...

I'm glad Emmons and Day didn't feel this way. We would all still be playing nonpedal steel. Laughing

Twelve strings had their day about 40 years ago. I remember Buddy's basket-weave Emmons. Watching anything and everything with a pedal steel in it, I don't see 12 strings on the bandstands. Doesn't mean they aren't around, just don't see them. Same as keyless guitars.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2017 3:26 am    

12 string players drive more Fords than Chevys.
Therefore they are absolutely.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2017 7:54 am    

I've been playing U12 for a few years now. Just recently got a used Ford Ranger. Hmmm.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2017 8:18 am    

I don't know about that!
I have a Chevy Silverado and a C6 Corvette.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 15 Apr 2017 9:27 am    

John De Maille wrote:
I don't know about that!
I have a Chevy Silverado and a C6 Corvette.

2006 Z06 coupe in that canary yellow. My dream car. Best looking era of Vettes ever...

[/img]

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2017 10:08 am    

Mark, I sure love your answer. It is crazy how one question has raise so much conversation.