The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WSHelper.exe
Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 8:21 am    

Does anyone know about this? Should it be deleted or what? Associated with this is CBSCreateVC.dll; CBSProductsingo.dll; and DAQ Exp.dll

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 5:40 pm    

That file belongs to a program called Wondershare. It is sometimes bundled with certain freeware programs, like DVD creators and file converters. I found some information about the executable here. A page full of discussions are here.

After reading a thread about getting rid of Wondershare and its WsHelper.exe file, I concluded that it is definitely a PUP and should probably be removed in full. This can be messy as the authors went out of their way to keep the file on your computer and have it launch with Windows.

Hint: You will probably need to use MSConfig to stop it from launching with Windows startup.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 6:35 am    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
After reading a thread about getting rid of Wondershare and its WsHelper.exe file, I concluded that it is definitely a PUP and should probably be removed in full. This can be messy as the authors went out of their way to keep the file on your computer and have it launch with Windows.

Hint: You will probably need to use MSConfig to stop it from launching with Windows startup.

I prefer not to allow PUPs and similar to stay on my system, even if I could just prevent them from auto-starting. Eventually, they accumulate on the drive(s) and occupy space needlessly.

Sometimes they can be uninstalled the conventional way through Programs and Features. If that's not possible, I can use jv16 Power Tools to find and uninstall programs or uninstalled leftovers from sloppy or incomplete uninstalls. Maybe it's just me, but I'm particular about that sort of thing.

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 3:58 pm    

Thanks for the help and reply's.