The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best tone I've ever heard !
Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 9:50 am    

Here is the elusive tone I have been chasing for a long time. Not sure who is playing, but the name I recognize from the forum, Steve Palousek is on the video; Maybe it's him. Phenominal playing, and the ABSOLUTE best tone & touch I have ever heard! I would love to know exactly what kind of guitar, amp, picks strings & bar, & effects were used to make this. OH YEA...and a vid showing hands, knees, & feet. Am I asking too much? Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/COzWhtoZOLg

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 10:20 am    

Rich - you will find some info here.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=179431&highlight=
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 10:24 am    

Yes it's Steve. And to borrow a quote from his website. (It's the Ear. Not the gear that make the difference.) You can google him.
You have good taste.

b.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 10:56 am    

Thanks guys, for the info. My LeGrande D-10 & my Renown 1-15" (which is basically the same amp as a NV400) sound good, but they don't sound like THAT! His touch is just staggeringly beautiful. I haven't practiced in a long time; my steel only coming out for gigs, but this has given me the inspiration to pull out the LeGrande & start chasing TOUCH now this week. Thank you all!

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 11:18 am    

Rich. I have an album I believe is called the National Swing Band of Texas, Or something simular, which featured Curtis Potter, and many of the best swing musicians in the country, including Steve P. I would have bet my first born that it was Buddy Emmons on steel, until Curtis introduced Steve.

Not to take away from Steve's own creativity or talent, but listening to this is as close to listening to Emmons as anyone will EVER get! Steve HAS IT down. LP

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 11:42 am    

Here is a track from Steve's superb album. His tone on his version of Night Life is outstanding. I have sat in front of him in the past 2 years at the Dallas steel show in the Telonics room. Steve really digs into the strings when he plays. That's what gives him the sustain that he gets. It's a full bodied tone - not thin or metalic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PETTnjeYlZo
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Last edited by Ken Byng on 22 Jan 2017 11:51 am; edited 2 times in total

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 11:47 am    

Here's a personal favorite, Rich...a full album of Steve's honkytonk steel backing Gary Stewart, Live at Billy Bob's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH9N_zMQebo

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 12:38 pm    

Lonnie Portwood wrote:
listening to this is as close to listening to Emmons as anyone will EVER get!

When I pick myself up and start listening analytically, I hear a beautifully tuned guitar played with perfect intonation, and a right hand which is both clean and capable of voicing the music by applying different touches to different strings at the same time - all Emmons qualities, so yes it is that close!

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 4:12 pm    

Thanks guys, for posting these. YEA; he is in a league with Buddy; gonna start working on my touch now.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 4:31 pm    

Steve really is one of the best I've ever heard. And he is another one of those absolute elite players who I believe started out on the instrument as a child. In my opinion there is nothing that can quite replace that leg up. They transcend the physical challenges in a unique way. All of the players who impress me the most have that in common, they learned to play before they were adults. For those of us who didn't we can study and practice and some of us can get to be very good, but we will never quite match these dudes who cut their teeth on the instrument.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2017 2:26 am    

No doubt Steve is one of the biggest Emmons fans ever. I saw him play in St. Louis in 1986 for the first time and he was good then and even better today. I hear Steve play things that no one else plays. I asked him at the Oklahoma show in 2016 if I could video his set. He told me something that really surprised me. He said when people ask him that "I encourage them to do so". That sounds like a man with a lot of confidence. And to add to his playing comes a man with a great personality who is willing to help others. I can sit and watch him for hours at a time. That link above has some of the best tone ever on steel guitar. He has his own studio and does all his mixing. Pretty talented guy for sure.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2017 3:43 am    

Also check out Gary Stewart Live at Billy Bobs, Steve's playing and tone are right at the top of the heap.

If there are 10 recordings/performances on the list of #1's , this is one of them.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 11:57 am    

Yes, Steve's last album, Let The Games Begin, is one the best steel guitar album I have ever heard. His tone and execution is just superb. I've known Steve for many years now and he never ceases to amaze me with his playing. I believe Steve plays a Rittenberry now but has always played Emmons in the past. I also heard that on some of the album, he used a Walker Stereo Steel then straight into mixer.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 12:38 pm    

That's some sweet tone, outstanding playing. I'll get there in the next 100 years.

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 12:39 pm    

Kinda makes your ears tingle, your teeth chatter and your eyes tear.

Did Steve ever play with Ray price?????

Rex Mayfield

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 1:29 pm    

I saw a you tube video just yesterday featuring Steve and Bobby Flores on an instrumental version of Faded Love. Sorry, I don't have the link.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 6:23 pm    

Quote:
Did Steve ever play with Ray price?????

Yes, Steve did play with Ray Price. He has a beautiful ( but short) solo in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzjuQAkFRZI
Nice, nice!

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 7:52 pm    

A few weeks ago, I was watching a show called Opry Encore on RFD-TV, and Steve was on there playing steel with Ray. The Opry show he was on was filmed sometime in the 90s. Steve was playing an Emmons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 8:21 pm    

Really enjoyed all the links you guys posted, especially "The Other Woman"
That tone is just to DIE for!

Fernando Esparza

San Antonio Texas
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2017 10:01 am     Re: Best tone I've ever heard !

Rich Upright wrote:
Here is the elusive tone I have been chasing for a long time. Not sure who is playing, but the name I recognize from the forum, Steve Palousek is on the video; Maybe it's him. Phenominal playing, and the ABSOLUTE best tone & touch I have ever heard! I would love to know exactly what kind of guitar, amp, picks strings & bar, & effects were used to make this. OH YEA...and a vid showing hands, knees, & feet. Am I asking too much? Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/COzWhtoZOLg

Also sounds a lot like Bobby Dardeman and there are a few pictures of him in this video.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2017 4:49 pm    

IT IS ALL IN THE HANDS, J.R.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2017 8:16 am    

Steve has played a Rittenberry for the last few years. I always make it a point to see him at the Texas jamboree. I think his tone is the best on the show. I'm pretty sure he plays through a Walker Stereo Steel there.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2017 4:37 pm    

Steve has been know to use a Sarno V8 that Brad modified with some "in between" tone controls. Don't know when and where he uses it.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2017 9:58 am    

I know I've posted my Steve Palousek story before, but I'll share again. I was playing steel with a country band in Granger, TX, not far from where Steve lives, and our regular guitar player couldn't do the gig for some reason.

The bandleader told me he had it covered, so when I show up it turns out he hired Steve to play guitar. He's also a good guitar player btw.. So I had to play the entire gig with Steve standing back and to my left watching (and hearing) every thing I did.

It's funny now, but it wasn't then. I'm not sure who suffered more, me or him.. LOL.. I'm sure he felt like knocking me off my seat and taking over more than once. He was a super nice guy though, we visited a bit on breaks and talked steel guitar. He couldn't have been nicer about the whole deal.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2017 11:42 am    

I totally agree with everyone...I saw Steve at the Phoenix show and always make a point to see him in Texas...his version of Swingin Doors on his Let the games begin, to me, is the epitomy of how a country steel guitar should sound ! Wonderful playing !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp