The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Little Roy Wiggins - Memory Time book
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 4:15 pm    

Over the holidays, I was working with my wife (she's a beginner) on a piano/steel duet of "Silent Night". I was looking for a way to spice up the simple melody and came across THIS version by Jim Baker. I love the trill that Jim frequently used on that track and after a bit of SGF research, I learned that this is the signature "ting-a-ling" of Little Roy Riggins. It's easy to figure out the notes and slants, but I'm actually challenged by the timing and getting the feel of it down. I was thinking this Wiggins book might have plenty of examples of this style of trill in it that I could use as exercises and that maybe the book explains the technique in a bit more detail. I found three sample pages on Amazon but there were no trills.

Does anyone who owns this book care to comment on the contents? Maybe you have an old copy you'd like to sell?

If not, any tips for getting the feel of the technique?

Thanks!

Jordan Beyer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 5:49 pm    

Check your pm James

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 7:02 pm    

This isn't Silent Night, but it's a good visual example of the "ting-a-ling" style. Watch the second verse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGmHedfrA0w

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 6:24 am    

Almost every song in the book has "TL---" over at least one measure. TL is described in the Sign and Symbols table as "Ting-a-Ling. This effect is executed by the rapid alternating picking of the thumb and finger (either finger) on the strings indicated (starting with the thumb)"

Jason Cady

New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2017 12:34 pm    

I learned one of the tunes in the book. The "ting-a-lings" are normally called tremolos by all other musicians. On the piece that I learned Wiggins alternates between the two notes as triplets (same thing Shot Jackson did a lot on dobro). I learned it by slowing down the audio and practicing with it, plus following the tab.

It's a good book, I recommend it.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2017 1:29 pm    

Little Roy was my Hero and the reason I took up steel. I used to buy Eddy Arnold records just to listen to Roy. I had one of his instruction books at one time (I had a D6 Oahu steel at the time).

I got to work for my hero in the early 70's at his "Music City" music store on Lower Broadway in Nashville (across the street from Tootsie's). He said people asked him which finger he used with his ting a ling and he said he never thought about it, just did it. A side note on the ting a ling, he said he copied it off of the Dobro players he heard on the Opry. Little Roy was a "native" - born in Nashville.

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2017 2:20 pm    

Have always done some of the ting-a-ling on the Dobro, copying Oswald and others, and it seemed to transfer easily enough to electric steel. The recording that comes with the Memory Time book provides lots of examples of how it should sound. I tend to use thumb and middle if I'm on high strings, and thumb and index if I'm on interior or low strings.