The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Other than Steel Guitars and music, what do we like to do ?
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 4:06 am    

Not taking away any love for Steel guitars, music or the enjoyment we get by sliding the bar, what else do we , as players, owners, whatever, what do we like to do with our NON Steel guitar time ?

I guess I'll go first ( what a shock)

I really like working with Tools, Power Tools, getting involved with home, inside or outside "fix it up" projects. I own lots of tools, evidently I am a tool collector as well.

I purchase and drag home old Wheel Horse tractors. I get them running sometimes restore them. I currently "ONLY" own 3

I also am an avid target shooter, a member of a very large private gun club/range, not open to the public. I'm not a hunter but do not oppose hunting. I'm not a great target shooter but not bad. I can hold my own at 100 yards with the 22LR's or the .223, somewhere within a 3" grouping. Oh yeh, with Optics.

and you ?

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 6:11 am    

Since I retired and moved to Florida my second occupation is as a "Beach Observer". Devil

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 6:25 am    

Home theaters (latest is a 4K setup) and Jeep Wranglers. Just got a 2016 Rubicon and working on my 25th mod, a power dome hood!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 7:40 am     Hobbies, same as work to me...

Always all in...

Music(Dabbled with anything with strings), Wild Management(Bow Hunting), Gardening(Raised Beds)

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 8:06 am    

All kinds of music, especially country, folk and bluegrass. And then - just waiting for spring and a nice warm day...

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 9:18 am    

Corvette lover here, we have a '92, and also restoring a 1966 Chevy truck.

Writing a couple books about all the strange and interesting things during my railroad career (such as the time a carload of live pigs escaped and went running through the freight yard. )

We have 13 acres in the country we go to from time to time. Like Tony I support hunting but don't hunt, myself. I DO perforate my share of tin cans and cardboard boxes with a .22 or shotgun.

Some travel (been to 24 states in that Corvette), lots of hammer-and-nails stuff around the house, and occasional nights out to 2-step or just listen to good music with the woman who has put up with me for 35 years.

Len Ryder

Penticton B.C.
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 9:27 am    

At my age just staying vertical means a good day (Smile (-Smile

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 12:30 pm    

repairing stuff, making stuff, growing stuff,chemistry,physics,most sciences in general, computers (fixing, building, overclocking),music ,all types,guitar,bass,psg,etc. We have a saying here in the hinterlands ,about any and everything, "if u didn't bring it with u, then you better be able to make it. Mr. Green

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 1:08 pm    

I'm a huge fan of classic cars, so researching my favorite classic car, the '57 Chevrolet Bel-Air is one of my interests in addition to playing steel guitar. I also love to ride in the car, whether it's a trip to Gatlinburg and Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, or anywhere, I love riding in the car. I also have a truck simulator that I love to play around with on my computer-I love eighteen wheelers too. I also love trains-I go to the office where my mom and dad work some and watch trains go by, and I love the beach and mountains. Sometimes I get ideas for songs to learn on steel while listening to the 90s country station in the truck simulator and I've got a cat.

Last edited by Brett Day on 21 Jan 2017 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 1:08 pm    

Retired builder, contractor, inspector. I need a job so I can get some rest.
We go rving to bluegrass festivals, and site seeing when I'm not busy on a home project.

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 1:36 pm    

Classic Cars -
My Collection
1969 Camaro RS Convertible Frame Off 327 TH350

1962 Chevy Impala Convertible 327 Powerglide

Keenan Friday

Magnolia, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 6:30 pm    

Traveling sight seeing
Canoeing, boating fishing, being on water general
Reading, news, learning more about subjects, strange things in world phenomenons

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 7:51 pm    

there are many things that I enjoy doing. I really enjoy riding my horse, Denver. He's a 9 yr old gelding and I got him when he was 3 1/2. He's a quarter horse, and I trained him to do a few simple tricks. I also really like antique guns, farm tools, old homestead items, and things like that. I enjoy shooting and hunting. I like lever actions and revolvers and have a good collection of Ruger revolvers. I like to hunt and train Bluetick coonhounds. Me and my Daddy built an authentic log cabin in the woods on my land. On a good cold night, I'll light the coal oil lamps, build a fire in the wood heater, and listen to the coonhounds run a coon. Or maybe just sit by the heater and pick a few on the old flat-top. It's very relaxing. I also like to tinker with mechanical things. I have a 1955 chevy truck, and a 1971 Dodge Demon that both need restoring. I also have a 1948 Willys jeep that's road ready. Me, the wife and our two youngest children, will pack a pic-nic basket and the flat-top, and head for the woods. That old Willys will take us anywhere we need to go. Between all of these things, the steel guitar, and owning/operating a poultry farm, there ain't hardly enough hours in a day.
Smile

Mitch

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 8:53 pm    

I play just about every string instrument that doesn't have a bow; steel (pedal, lap, Hawaiian and dobro) take up about 25% of my "music time"

I'm retired but do a lot of amp and guitar tech work - everything from setups to major tube amp rebuilds to refinishing, including relics.

I do a lot of photography.

Used to surf - had to give it up 3 years ago due to chronic pain issues.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 9:06 pm     What else do you do?

Playing my steels, pedal and non-pedal, resophonics, ukuleles, and collecting LP albums. My other lifelong passion has been model railroading, large scale and riding scale as well. We have a backyard railroad we ride on and have train parties with friends and neighbors, cooking brats on a fire pit, and riding the rails. When the weather is bad, we go downstairs and run trains.

Very Happy Very Happy

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 9:17 pm    

I'm a gun collector and an avid shooter and hunter. I also like to tool around in my 07' Corvette coupe. Driving around on all the twisting mountain roads around here is a blast.
I'm also a model train aficionado. After relocating to our house in the mountains, I haven't had time to do a layout yet, but, that'll come soon.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 5:06 am    

Ham Radio, Christian Builders (ramps and handicap bars), TN Baptist Disaster Relief.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 6:30 am    

Since I was in my teens, I've always loved fly fishing and fly tying. For the last five years or so I've operated a small wholesale fly tying materials business in my spare time centered around flies for salmon and steelhead.

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 6:36 am     whatdo you do

I like long walks on the beach, romantic champagne dinners, and long soulful talkslate into the night.
widcj@hotmail.com

Matthew Begay

Quantico, VA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 7:56 am     What Else Do I Like To Do?

I'm 19 years old. Although I listen to the countriest of tunes from Bob Wills, Buck Owens, Lefty Frizzell, and Ernest Tubb all the way up to Easton Corbin and Jon Pardi, I listen to a lot of rap, some metal, and some pop. I'm sorry but I like to be a versatile guy. I'm also enrolled in a nationally accredited pharmacy technician program at my college, I enjoy spending time with friends and looking at memes. I play video games quite often and I love to lift at the gym whenever I have time.

Now that I have recently acquired a D-10, I'm giving up some activities and time to learn the C6th and still brush up on the E9th.

Robert Murphy

West Virginia
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 9:25 am    

I play dozens of instruments and do repairs. Recently taken up .22 pistol target shooting. Then there's this my new love.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 9:42 am    

Here is the only possesion I love as much as my steels & guitars:

Last edited by Rich Upright on 22 Jan 2017 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Randy Owens

West Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 9:43 am    

My non-musical time is spent in a variety of ways. Like some of the other members here, I am an amateur radio operator. Part of the reason that PSG has intrigued me is the electronics aspect of it. Anne and I also put out a garden every year raising mostly sweet corn. I have an old Allis Chalmers tractor that I plow and disc it with. We eat what we can and give away most of the rest.

Corvettes are also one of our real joys. We go for little road trips in the '69 convertible on nice days and in an '87 coupe on really hot days. When I'm not doing one of those things, I like bicycling and enjoy back road trips to some of the towns around the area.

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 11:01 am     hobby

well my other hobby is rc model plane building/flying

I like the larger kind with the 72 inch wingspan

course around here as per bands the hobby is

slim at best as far as friends go and no fly fields to speak of....

mike

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2017 11:33 pm     My Other Life.

I just came back from my yearly trek to Scottsdale for The Barrett Jackson car auction and a run up to The Grand Canyon. Fun trip, go by myself and love the drive out I40, old Route 66, and all of the stops along the way. Heavy snow going to, and at the canyon prevented seeing any of the canyon depth, but the snow was deep and fantastic. Real scarey, slick and snow packed roads between Flagstaff and the Canyon, but worth the trip. The rest of my life, I spend messing with my old '93 Jeep Wrangler, building amp cabs., tinkering in my shop, pickin' on the weekends, or settin' around doing nothing.