The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roland Blues Cube Artist - 80W 1x12" Guitar Combo Amp
Richard Keller

Deer Creek, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 7:50 am    

Has anyone used a Roland Blues Cube Artist - 80W 1x12" Guitar Combo Amp for pedal steel?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BCArtist

https://www.roland.com/us/products/blues_cube_artist/

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 2:42 pm    

I use the Blues Cube 'Hot' for small rooms. After I replaced the stock speaker with an Eminence 'Cannabis Rex' it made a very credible steel amp. Sounds as good if not better than my Nashville 112 IMO...Note: I chose the "Hot' model because it is the only single channel unit in the series so there is no overdrive circuit to clutter up the signal path. This is one Loud little unit!

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 2:46 pm    

I had a Blues Cube Artist 80 for a short time and traded it in. I found that the amp is what it says "Blues Cube" and breaks up way to easy for pedal steel. Perhaps using it with a lap steel for a dirty blues sound would be OK. It is a well built amp designed for blues guitar players. This is just my opinion.

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 11:33 am    

I've used the 60 watt and 80 watt versions for some 10 years. The Cube 80 is starting to show some wear but it's a great amp. The tone, with the effects I use is outstanding. Not to everyone's taste, obviously. Only downside is the low notes on my S12U can get a little muddy on loud stages. I have a Steelaire Quilter for larger venues but it's tone is no better than the Cube.

Alan Cannell

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 12:21 pm     Roland Cubes

I agree with Morton that the Blues Cube does not suit Steel , the Roland Cube 80 is a completely different amp and is in my opinion better for Steel.
I thought the Blues Cube Artist was going to be ideal for Steel & Lead Guitar but I was disappointed.
A friend of mine has the Hot version and he likes it for Guitar but it does not have the headroom for Steel.

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 9:33 pm     Blues Cube/Cube 80

OK, I get the distinction. I have the Cube 80 (not the Blues Cube) and I notice several forum members use it also. Used it tonight with a 10-piece band--no issues at all. The guitar player uses the newer version. Loud enough for me. We use the line out with an adaptor to the house system. Works great.