The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Can anyone tell me about the Nashville 400 MODS?
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2017 12:19 pm    

I just bought a super clean Nashville 400 from a local format. I must say that its the cleanest NV400 I ever encountered. The Gentleman that sold it to me said it has been modified by a Mr. Henry Cassel of the Harrisburg PA area. The mod was supposedly either a Ken Fox Mod or a John Le May Mod.
Can anyone explain what was done to this amp? Capacitors?
Thanks

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2017 12:31 pm    

Hard to tell without looking at the actual electronics. Both change out components and no way to tell externally.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2017 1:06 pm    

Seems like I received 6 I.C. chips which are simply exchanged with the ones in the amp. There are no capacitor changes.

The mod made a really nice difference in mine. I took it to a friends gig and we sat them side by side and he was very impressed by how much fuller the sound was compared to his. Lows were better mids not so hollow and the highs weren't as shrill.

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2017 1:54 pm    

Right the first thing i noticed while playing this new modded amp is how much "rounder" it sounds. The highs are tamed but still pleasant. I personally like a higher bakersfield tone and This still achieves that but with added improvement. Albeit Not at the same EQ positions.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2017 5:08 pm    

Both the Lemay and Peavey mods change IC's, resistors and capacitors. The Ken Fox "intense" mod goes further and changes more components.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 9:11 am    

Dick Wood wrote:
Seems like I received 6 I.C. chips which are simply exchanged with the ones in the amp. There are no capacitor changes.

The mod made a really nice difference in mine. I took it to a friends gig and we sat them side by side and he was very impressed by how much fuller the sound was compared to his. Lows were better mids not so hollow and the highs weren't as shrill.

I sent my chassis to Ken for the update, and he sent back a bag with several other parts, like resistors and capacitors, that he replaced. I know he sells the chips now, but I thought the early kits had other components and instructions (schematic?) along with the chips. Ken sent me copies of the NV400 schematic, and it had components circled and new values written in.

Kyle Strauser

Crawfordsville, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 1:18 pm     Fox Mod

I put the Fox mod in my Nashville. Made a big difference in tone. It's much fuller and clean! Also replaced my reverb tank at the same time to a MOD reverb tank. Also excellent.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 2:05 pm    

Just to clear things up a bit. I quit doing the intense mod back at the end of 2012. It was only done in my shop (around 34 parts replaced). I never sold that mod as a kit, as I felt I would have been overwhelmed with people needing support for the install.

After that I modded a few N112 amps with just the audio IC chips. That was so successful that it lead to more chip only kits for other amps.

Even with just the chips a few have had difficulty installing the kit. Very few but still a problem for some folks.

All kits come with very detailed installation instructions, but some people have failed to read and follow the directions.

Most all the older amps are very forgiving when chips are installed backwards, legs bent under, legs of chips shorted together, etc. Not a Nashville 112. It can easily damage the 22 ohm fuse resistors. Been there and repaired it for one customer (at no charge).

At any rate, that's my story and I'm sticking to it

Wink Wink