The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pee Wee Whitewing, "Heart of Steel"
Andie Whitewing

Lafayette, LA now Bellingham, WA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 9:25 pm    

I've spent the last 3 1/2 years working hard on Pee Wee's (my grandfather and surrogate/adoptive father) first featured artist album of his career. By the time he turns 83 in February, I expect to have the discs back from Disc Makers and available to distribute.

The record is titled "Heart of Steel" and features 25 songs taken from recordings from 1950-1997. There are 19 studio tracks, ~11 of which are western swing and ~8 of which are jazz, and 6 live recordings, 3 from his time with Shorty Joe and the Red Rock Canyon Cowboys and 3 from his JD Miller studios days with the Other Brothers. There are 2 live tracks where Pee Wee is also singing, and a lone studio vocal of his, the only one known to exist. Few people have heard him sing because he focused on steel, but he also has a beautiful voice. There are three instrumentals as well: Seven Come Eleven, Cherokee, and La Golondrina.

I've compiled masters from two western swing records he made with the Heart of Texas Band and restored a jazz session master that was damaged, believed discarded, and which has never been played/released before. The jazz session includes tenor sax by Jon Smith, trumpet by Harry St Pierre, and percussion by superstar drummer Doug Belote. Vocals by my mom, his daughter, and myself were added in 2015 and 2016 to several of the jazz tracks.

The disc also features a full color 8 page booklet full of information and great old music photos, most of which come from our family archive or Shorty Joe's. Once I get the artwork finalized and out the door, I'll be developing a website that will be unveiled along with the record in February.

I've worked with GRAMMY nominated engineer Myles Boisen, who is based in Oakland, CA, on the restoration, mixing, and mastering of the record. This has been an incredible labor of love and I am so excited to finally release this under my own label.

The CD is now available to order online at www.peeweewhitewing.com/order-now/. You can also contact me directly at andie@whitewingmusic.com. I've built a website for him and the record at www.peeweewhitewing.com and you can read more about him and the making of the record there. I am adding content as time permits and the full session information will soon be online.

You folk may or may not know that Pee Wee is no longer able to play enough to perform due to health issues, but he still loves listening to his playing. I know that he is excited that his music will be preserved and make its way out into the world.

Please feel free to contact me if you're interested in a disc and please help me promote the distribution and preservation of his musical legacy by recommending the record to anyone you know who might be interested. These will not be available through any other means as I have only purchased 500 mechanical licenses for CD production. If I am successful at this initial run, I hope to expand the availability to digital download as well.

Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this community in my Pa's stead.

The cover photo is of Pee Wee and his cousin Chuck Hayes, who was also a steel guitarist.

Last edited by Andie Whitewing on 22 Feb 2017 11:59 pm; edited 3 times in total

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2017 4:58 am    

I can only imagine how proud Pee Wee is to have a granddaughter like you Andrea.

Andie Whitewing

Post  Posted 17 Jan 2017 10:05 am     Thank You!

All my best qualities have their roots in him 💗 I'm incredibly blessed to be his progeny!

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2017 5:57 pm    

I first met Pee Wee at the Gulfport show. He was in his element for sure. I am interested in his music and would be appreciative of availability of the compilations of his work.

Charley

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 5:59 am    

I want one! Definitely let us know as soon as they are ready. Thanks for putting that together!

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 4:37 pm    

I had the honor of picking alongside PeeWee a few years ago in Gulfport. He asked me to play when he would forget where he was.
We have been friends for many years and I truly value knowing PeeWee.

I would surely like a CD when available.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Rick Jackson

Carson City, Nevada
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 8:03 am    

Check has already been sent and I can't wait to get the CD. Thanks Andie....rj

Andie Whitewing

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 11:54 pm    

Hi Folk,
The first couple boxes of CDs arrived today and I will start shipping them out tomorrow and get them all out by this Thursday. If you'd like to order one, you can do so online at

http://www.peeweewhitewing.com/order-now/

If you prefer to mail a check or money order, you can email me at andie@whitewingmusic.com for those instructions.

Please pass the word along as I am eager to get Pee Wee's music into the hands of those who will appreciate it and him!
<3
Andie Very Happy

Last edited by Andie Whitewing on 23 Feb 2017 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 4:59 am    

I got mine ordered. You better hurry up and order yours.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 7:56 am     Pee Wee Whitewing

Here's a chance to have a one of a kind compilation of Pee Wees life works. I know how much work Andie has done on this project so please get your copy ordered. This is sure to be a collectors item!
Dale Foreman

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 12:54 pm    

Well, I dun ordered mine! Great that you're doing this project Andie.

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 12:15 pm    

... and I love it! Sweet steel, fine selection of songs from Hank T to Charlie Christian, great singing. Which cuts are you singing, Andie?

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps

Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 7:07 pm     All in

Just ordered mine, bless you Andrea, thank you for what you are doing.
Dave

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2017 4:59 am    

Hi Andrea - Received mine yesterday and am really enjoying it - I think the beauty of it is the variety. It will appeal to more people who don't get excited about hearing just instrumentals - Great listening!!!!
Thanx... Ron

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2017 5:07 am    

PeeWee and I first met way back in the early years of the ISGC. However we really only became "friends" about 6 or 7 years ago at the Gulfport show.
I was honored to have PeeWee sit in on one of my sets.
He said that since he was having some trouble remembering, that he would like for me to support him on stage.
What a thrill that was for me.

I just received my CD and let me tell you, it is truly a piece of steel guitar history that I will enjoy for a long time.

(Buck Grantham, Bill Ferguson, PeeWee Whitewing)

Andie Whitewing

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 12:16 am     Thank you folk

First of all, I want to thank you to all of you who have ordered the record and given positive feedback. More importantly, deep gratitude to those of you who have supported him in person. He has been diagnosed with frontal lobe dementia, hydrocephalus, and has had a series of dozens, if not hundreds, of TIAs over time. His ability to speak has been significantly impacted and it's deeply saddening and frustrating for him. As for his ability to play, that is the loss he feels most profoundly.

Making this record has in part been a way of me sublimating my grief into love.

I am repeatedly brought to tears by the beauty and simultaneous sadness of it all. I love this man, Pee Wee Whitewing, with all my heart. I can see the origins of all of my best parts in him. <3

Thank you for helping me love him through this transition.

Andie Whitewing

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 12:17 am     Bill - Photo

Hi Bill,
Any chance you would email me this photo? andie@whitewingmusic.com.
Thank you so much.
Andie

Last edited by Andie Whitewing on 23 Feb 2017 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Andie Whitewing

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 12:30 am     Vocals on Heart of Steel

In response to Jim's query, I'm singing on Track 18.
My mom, Pee Wee's daughter, is singing on 13, 15, and 17.
Pee Wee is singing on 14, 20, and 21.
I'll have the full session information up soon at www.peeweewhitewing.com.
<3

P. S. If any of you are into jazz, I just finished recording with John Stowell this past weekend and will have five jazz demos coming up in the near future after the engineer finishes the mixes and we get a sax track added.

I haven't made the jazz demos publicly available yet because I only have rough mixes, but you can see a little more about my music at www.andiewhitewing.com if you're interested.

I only began to pursue music a year before Pa's last show, and my first performance with him and my mom on the same stage was also his last. For the past 3 1/2 years I've put my musical development on hold while acting in an executive producer/producer capacity of "Heart of Steel", so I'm just starting to work on my own development again.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2017 1:24 pm    

This CD is excellent! I know it contains material from several different eras... but it flows as if it were just recorded as a 19-song album with a bonus live EP at the end.

If the steel guitar world has its own "greatest generation"... then I firmly believe it to be those guys who made it big at the latter part of the non-pedal era, then successfully crossed into pedal playing. It's amazing that one of the most important players from that time frame has never been showcased with his own album until now.

So, this is a 'must-have' CD. Excellent vocals and musicianship by all... but most of all you will hear some of the most tasteful backup and instrumental steel playing you've ever heard. Whether you are a C6 or E9 fan, there is something to be gained by hearing every one of Pee Wee's solos and fills.

Thanks again Andie!

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2017 4:56 pm    

Bill Ferguson wrote:
PeeWee and I first met way back in the early years of the ISGC. However we really only became "friends" about 6 or 7 years ago at the Gulfport show.
I was honored to have PeeWee sit in on one of my sets.
He said that since he was having some trouble remembering, that he would like for me to support him on stage.
What a thrill that was for me.

I just received my CD and let me tell you, it is truly a piece of steel guitar history that I will enjoy for a long time.

(Buck Grantham, Bill Ferguson, PeeWee Whitewing)

Bill,

Great seeing you in Dallas, as always. You are still a great tone monster in my book! One of the very best!

Here is one of Pee Wee and another Handsome Steel Player, Me. Laughing

jim flynn

Salado,Texas
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 3:14 pm     Wow!!!

Just listened to the CD. a tribute to one of the best steel guitarist ever.
If you don't have a copy get on today.
THIS IS A FIRST RATE PRODUCTION, not a scratchy home made
promo. Something for all music lovers. Don't put it off.

Andie Whitewing

Post  Posted 19 Mar 2017 10:34 pm     Gratitude

Dear Folk,

Your enthusiasm for and support of this music project are so deeply appreciated. The kind words, thoughtful messages, and great reviews affirm that the hard work is important and meaningful.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. There aren't words enough to say what is writ in my heart.

Much love,
Andie Whitewing

Bob Strum

Anniston Alabama
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 6:35 am     PeeWee

Hi Andrea, I've always enjoyed your Grampa's playing over many years. I've ordered the album. I am playing one of his old Pedalmaster guitars and have recorded with it. I'll send you some CDs to entertain PeeWee. Best wishes and prayers to you all.
Sincerely, Bob Strum

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 6:56 am    

This CD is top notch and an enjoyable listen. Tons of songs, great vocals, and thanks for the credits for that posted here, Andie. Are the jazz demo tracks a later vintage, and possibly recorded with his Rittenberry?

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2017 8:02 am     Thanks for the work on this project, Andie,

Just ordered the CD Andie, I had the honor to visit briefly with PeeWee at the Dallas Show in March, he is a huge part of steel guitar history!
Two Spector 5 string basses, Martin D-18, Taylor 812CE, 1944 Epiphone Zenith, a killer Luttrell 6 string resophonic, 1932 Model 56 Dobro, Beard Model E, Martin Soprano Uke, 10 string 1953 Alkire Eharp, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender Bassman, Fender 75 watt Rumble, and a Fender 100 watt Rumble.