The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Saving as MID file
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 6:32 am    

I have the new 2017 BIAB. My wife was given a like new Hammond organ by our church. It has a 3.5 floppy disk reader and will play MIDI files.

I tried saving from BIAB and the mid files will not play. I tried saving as a "Type 1" and as "Type 0" neither is compatible. However, I saved a mid file from RealBand and the mid file plays. What is the difference? or how do I save the file as a playable mid in BIAB?

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 11:41 am    

I rarely use midi nowadays, staying with the Real Tracks & adding my own, but I can say the PG Music forums are extremely helpful, just like this one! Cool

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2017 3:15 am    

I would have expected PG Support to respond to my query but they haven't, even if it was to use the forum.

I use MIDI quite a bit in my recording program, Sonar.

Larry Haas

Morganton, North Carolina USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 5:17 pm     Re: Saving as MID file

Jack Stoner wrote:
I have the new 2017 BIAB. My wife was given a like new Hammond organ by our church. It has a 3.5 floppy disk reader and will play MIDI files.

I tried saving from BIAB and the mid files will not play. I tried saving as a "Type 1" and as "Type 0" neither is compatible. However, I saved a mid file from RealBand and the mid file plays. What is the difference? or how do I save the file as a playable mid in BIAB?

Hey Jack
Tony Prior gave me some good advise about doing this.
Save it as a midi file but save it out of BIAB. Make a new folder in Music and name it whatever you want then when you punch on the midi icon there is a place that should say " save it to disk ". Punch that and save it to the new file.
Hope this works for you.

Larry

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 3:25 am    

Larry, thanks but I've tried that early on.

I've saved it every way I can find in BIAB.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 11:50 am    

Midi is powerful, but not always entirely intuitive. Have you tried using the generic GM midi driver? BiaB uses a soft synth by default so the midi data is mapped to it.

Go into Opt> "Use/Set alternate midi output driver for session", see what happens. Disabling the VST synth before you export would accomplish the same thing, Opt> MIDI/Audio driver setup, it's a radio button in the right column.

I'm guessing the organ has been around a while if it uses a floppy disk. Do you have a manual for the it? If you know the specific midi channels/patches the organ uses you can change/set the mappings for each BiaB instrument under Opt> Preferences> MIDI Options> click the "Channels" button.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 11:57 am    

The manual we got does not detail anything about MIDI other than it uses MIDI files, either generated externally or recorded internally with the floppy drive.

I'm waiting on a PCIe USB 2.0 expansion card and a cable so I can do more experimentation.

I'm still puzzled as to why a BIAB, saved, MIDI file will not play and the same BIAB song opened in RealBand and then saved as MIDI works.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 12:08 pm    

Quote:
Midi is powerful, but not always entirely intuitive...

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 1:58 pm    

I'm going to try the MIDI files in Sonar (Platinum). See if it will import, correctly, into Sonar and play (and save) using Sonar. Another option.

I have a solution, use RealBand, but it doesn't have all the options that BIAB has.