The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New to me D-10 Fessy
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 4:30 am    

Well, I guess I've become one of those "Black-Sounds-Better" guys. Next to my trusty Super Pro is my recently acquired D-10 Fessy. I traded my beloved 2006 S-10 Fessy for it, added two C6 knees, and finally had a chance to re-rod it this week. E9 is all dialed in and playing and sounding extremely nice. Still need to spend some time tweaking C6. Not sure what the pick ups are, but I am surprised at how much I like humbuckers. No markings on the under side of the C6 pickup. Now that it's restrung, I can't check the E9 easily.

I still might move some levers around down there. This is one of Jerry's earliest steels (according to him), and the cross shaft slots don't go all the way over to the key-head end of the guitar. Although I can angle the knees to make them easily playable, I really like the levers to hang straight down for some reason. For now it's up and running and I'll play it a while before yanking all those rods out again.

Bart Maloney

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 5:25 am    

What is the serial number on it? I bought a "new to me" D-10 about a month ago. Serial number D-208. I am loving mine. It's plays great. A huge step up from my old Clark D-10

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 12 May 2017 6:37 am    

Pretty sure there is none, but Jerry estimated it was one of the first 25 he built.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 9:59 am    

Dan...The pickups may be Pitman, Jerry informed me at one time that this was what was used in his early builds. They were modeled after the 'Crap Trap' design.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 12 May 2017 10:04 am    

Interesting. Never heard of them before. I'm really liking the sound of them so far.