The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rack units....Oh boy, where to begin?
Nathan Guilford

Oklahoma City
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2017 7:59 pm    

I've always had guitar pedals, as I was a guitar player for years before I switched to steel. But I've been running a Carvin BX500 in a 3 space rack and have room for a one space effects rack. What delay/reverb rack is the best for about $100-200 used? Are there any that y'all hate? Should I just stick to effects pedals and forget the rack units? Thanks for your responses.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2017 8:33 pm    

There are several modern seriously multiple effects units out there, but I dislike all of them for the frustration of editing patches.
I have a Lexicon MPX100 that I found easy to use and dial in, but it could only do two effects at once. Fortunately, that was enough, since they offered the two that I wanted

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2017 10:55 pm    

I have a TC M ONE XL, and while each effect is 'infinitely' adjustable, it takes a little 'doin'. Once done, though, the effects are good, and you can store them where you want so they're available quickly. Like Lane says..there's only two engines, but I never needed more than two at once. Having a rack unit will eliminate the need for a pedal board...

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 8:01 am    

The Lexicon MX200 is a good unit too but only 2 effects at a time. The Alesis Quadraverb is a good unit and you can have more than 2 effect at a time.

Tony

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 8:13 am    

Just remember that, at least with the Lexicon units, MX is a line level device, while the MPX units have a preamp in them and can therefore handle instrument level signals (that's what the "P" is for).
The units without a P can still handle instrument level signals, but you'll notice a higher noise floor

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 10:51 am    

TC Electronic M-One or M-OneXL

Very affordable used, studio grade sounds.

Easy interface.

B

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 12:53 pm    

What Brad said. Also, the M350 is a good one. I use one live and in the studio.
If going to pedal, I recommend the TC Electronic Hall Of Fame reverb (it has a factory set predelay switch). I've combined it with the MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay and get good results by using the reverb for some tail behind the delay without sounding like you're playing in a cave.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 1:09 pm    

Also, the Roland GP-100 has excellent reverbs, delays and a multitude of other effects. Can find them used for $100 or so. Not bad for a unit that originally sold for 10 times that much.

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 8:45 pm    

I have a MPX100. After about 6 or 8 months of use it just quit having any output. I sent it to the factory for repair, which wasn't cheap. After about another 6 months, same problem. Back to the factory again. When this happened the third time I put in back in the box, where it still sits.