The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Album Release for Pee Wee Whitewing - 2/11/2017
Andie Whitewing

Lafayette, LA now Bellingham, WA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2017 4:07 am    

Howdy Folk,

I've spent the last 3 1/2 years working hard on Pee Wee's (my grandfather and surrogate/adoptive father) first featured artist album of his career. By the time he turns 83 in February, I expect to have the discs back from Disc Makers and available to distribute.

The record is titled "Heart of Steel" and features 25 songs taken from recordings from 1950-1997. There are 19 studio tracks, ~11 of which are western swing and ~8 of which are jazz, and 6 live recordings, 3 from his time with Shorty Joe and the Red Rock Canyon Cowboys and 3 from his JD Miller studios days with the Other Brothers. There are 2 live tracks where Pee Wee is also singing, and a lone studio vocal of his, the only one known to exist. Few people have heard him sing because he focused on steel, but he also has a beautiful voice. There are three instrumentals as well: Seven Come Eleven, Cherokee, and La Golondrina.

I've compiled masters from two western swing records he made with the Heart of Texas Band and restored a jazz session master that was damaged, believed discarded, and which has never been played/released before. The jazz session includes tenor sax by Jon Smith, trumpet by Harry St Pierre, and percussion by superstar drummer Doug Belote. Vocals by my mom, his daughter, and myself were added in 2015 and 2016 to several of the jazz tracks.

The disc also features a full color 8 page booklet full of information and great old music photos, most of which come from our family archive or Shorty Joe's. Once I get the artwork finalized and out the door, I'll be developing a website that will be unveiled along with the record in February.

I've worked with GRAMMY nominated engineer Myles Boisen, who is based in Oakland, CA, on the restoration, mixing, and mastering of the record. This has been an incredible labor of love and I am so excited to finally release this under my own label.

You can order the CD now at www.peeweewhitewing.com/order-now/, and also learn more about Pee Wee and the record at www.peeweewhiteiwng.com. You can also contact me directly at andie@whitewingmusic.com.

You folk may or may not know that Pee Wee is no longer able to play enough to perform due to health issues, but he still loves listening to his playing. I know that he is excited that his music will be preserved and make its way out into the world.

Please feel free to contact me if you're interested in a disc and please help me promote the distribution and preservation of his musical legacy by recommending the record to anyone you know who might be interested. These will not be available through any other means as I have only purchased 500 mechanical licenses for CD production. If I am successful at this initial run, I hope to expand the availability to digital download as well.

Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this community in my Pa's stead.

Sincerely,
Andie Whitewing

Last edited by Andie Whitewing on 22 Feb 2017 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ethan Shaw

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2017 9:51 am    

That's great!!!

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2017 10:58 am    

This is a beautiful thing. I'm glad he still likes to listen to his playing.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2017 6:46 pm    

This is a wonderful thing. I want one of these. I grew up with my Dad singing and playing all of these He was a fiddle player and vocalist and I was trying to learn and play rhythm for him. He told me later on when I really began to try and learn and was asking who did these songs he would say, Oh, that was Pee Wee Whitewing. Today I know that my Dad, (Raymond Leon Rose) was a very good vocalist and knew the words to and endless number of songs. Yesterday, (1-16-17) he would of been 96 years old. May he R.I.P. J.R. Rose

Andie Whitewing

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2017 11:57 pm     "Heart of Steel" is Ready to Ship!

The discs are in and I'm pleased to say ready to ship in the next two days. If you would like a copy of this record and haven't ordered one yet, you can do so online at this link:

http://www.peeweewhitewing.com/order-now/

or, if you prefer to mail a check or money order, email me at info@whitewingservices.com for more information.

Please feel free to pass the word along to any who might be interested.

Sincerely,
Andie Whitewing

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 2:30 pm    

Got mine today and still got it on and playing. Just keep hitting start again. What a great CD and my Thanks to Andie for putting this together. J.R. Rose

Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2017 8:02 pm    

Received my copy today. Had to play it all the way through when I opened it.
Pee Wee has always been one of my favorites.
Good job, Thanks Andie

Aaron Jennings

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2017 7:31 am    

Just ordered mine. Really excited to hear these recordings!

Sounds like a lot of work and love went into this project. Thank you!

Dave Grothusen

Scott City, Ks
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2017 8:31 am    

Just got mine. Thanks. Is Pee Wee still married to Lisa's sister?

Andie Whitewing

Post  Posted 22 Feb 2017 11:55 pm     Yes and Yes

Thank you folk for ordering the CD, for the positive feedback, and for noticing the love that has gone into it.

Yes, Pa is still married to Rhonda Boudreaux, Lisa's sister.

I invite you to visit the website I've put up for him and to which I am adding content as time permits. The session information from the album is almost done and will be up soon, including details about who plays on which tracks.

www.peeweewhitewing.com

Please let anyone who might be interested in the record know about it. It can be ordered online at www.peeweewhitewing.com/order-now/ or through me at andie@whitewingmusic.com.

P. S.
I was in the bay area recording last weekend and got to spend some time Saturday night with Bobby Black, who was playing with the California Cowboys at the Saddle Rack in Fremont. He's so wonderful, both as a player and a human being. How lucky am I?!