The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need some advice
Brian Christiano

Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 11:12 am    

I have been playing at the PSG for about 5 years. I say playing at it, because I am a professional engineer by profession with my own business and play music for enjoyment.

I have been singing, playing guitar, some reso (Dobro) since 1996, but only picked up my steel in 2011. I really enjoy the challenge. I have played at the novice level at a steel convention locally a couple of times with strong encouragement.

I have played and sung with bands on guitar and dobro. However, never played steel with a band, which I believe I need to do to improve and grow. I was invited to play at a jam recently, did so for a couple of weeks, but was asked to not bring the steel back, but please come back, sing, and play guitar. My steel was not stellar. Some blow to my ego, but understandable.

My question, is how do you get better playing with a band if you are not on the "professional level"? That seems to be the key in all other endeavors to get better. It worked for Dobro, guitar, etc.

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 11:34 am    

Look for an opportunity with other people. There are plenty groups that would love to have a pedal steel in the band. Don't be discouraged. It will happen.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 3:01 pm    

What Jerry said.

They could have been a bit more diplomatic if they didn't want pedal steel but they did want you.

Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 3:04 pm    

Brian, if you have some Rhythm Tracks, play with them. It's as close to playing with a live band without having to move your equipment and put up with schitty discouraging remarks. Smile Good luck.

Rich Gardner

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 3:48 pm    

Like Roger said, get some backing tracks or make your own using programs like Band-in-a-Box. I've been at many jams and never heard of anyone being so rude as what you eperienced.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 3:58 pm    

Rich Gardner wrote:
I've been at many jams and never heard of anyone being so rude as what you eperienced.

My experience is the jam was a place to GET the experience of playing live, without having to measure up to a professional level. I've found much support, including from pro-grade steel players and guitarists, who encourage and applaud my efforts.

I'm curious whether the person who asked the OP not to bring the steel back was someone in charge of the whole thing, or just another person who happened to be there?

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 6:44 pm    

If what you really want to do is play pedal steel at a jam, then you should find another group of people to play with. You don't have to be a great player to be able to add something to a classic country tune if you can just tastefully play simple stuff reasonably in-tune.

I obviously don't know the context of the situation you've been playing in. But consider the possibility that it may not be specifically your pedal steel playing that they'd rather not have. I know this is hard to fathom around this forum, but there are plenty of musicians that have no appreciation of pedal steel at all. To these kinds of people, it's a stereotyped instrument that takes up a lot of stage room, needs a fair amount of sonic space that other musicians need to leave for you, and doesn't fit what they want to do. Of course, that may not be the issue.

My attitude is that nobody's doing me any favor to have me come play stuff at a jam session that I'm not interested in for free. If I'm not getting what I want/need out of it, screw it. Most places I've been around, there are people that will appreciate even basic pedal steel playing.

Brian Christiano

Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 7:48 pm    

Don Brown: the person who told me was asked by the group to relay to me that the consensus was from the group, including him and since he had been the one who had initially invited me, to please relay the information.

I was glad that he was candid with me. My pride was a bit bruised but I took it in stride.

My concern, since this was a jam, how to play with others and get better, realizing when I went that I wasn't great but wanting to get better. That was the whole purpose. And have fun...

I appreciate all your input. It helps. I have some backing tracks that I will start using and work from that while looking for a couple of musicians to pick with and get more polished.

It is always difficult to go to a jam and not have a set list to work from and know what to expect, even for an accomplished player. At least with a set list, you can practice from week to week to get them down, some licks to put in, etc.

I knew I could get some good advice here. Thanks.

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2017 7:55 pm    

Brian Christiano wrote:
Don Brown: the person who told me was asked by the group to relay to me that the consensus was from the group, including him and since he had been the one who had initially invited me, to please relay the information.

Brian, I had hoped maybe it was just one person with higher expectations but apparently not so.

If your morale can stand it, it might be helpful to ask that friend just what it was that caused the request. That may help you narrow down your remedial efforts. Were you too loud? Did you walk on other players? Were you out of tune, or off time? Did the steel take up too much room? It may be some transgression you were not even aware you were guilty of.

Painful as it might be, you can use this as a learning experience and hopefully a little work and attention will allow you to make corrections.