The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New member questions concerning Emmons ?S-10?
Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2017 1:53 pm    

Good job Sam! You got yourself a beaut & deal as well.
I'll add my 2 cents.
You don't need the tone pot. You can bypass it totally so don't let that tone pot or switch stop you from getting it up and running.
You have a great piece there and if set up properly will require very little maintenance except a few drops of oil (NOT wd-40) now & then.
Now go get em'! Smile

Sam Hammond

Alameda, California
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2017 2:22 pm     Emmons S10

Thanks, Bud.

I've been playing guitar, piano and sax for a long time, and I've never felt more intimidated, and excited about learning an instrument.

Also, I'm left handed, and all my guitars are lefties, and this is gonna be my first foray into playing a right-handed instrument in the right-handed way.

Sam

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2017 2:27 pm    

Regarding the wide space between the serial number and the letter "S", yes, that's how it's supposed to be. It's safe to say that you have a 1971 S-10 rosewood, push/pull. A classic pedal steel guitar!

Below are some pictures of the switchplate on my '75 S-10. Your guitar has the plate, so all you need is a pot and a toggle switch (to bypass the tone control). By the way... any good guitar repair shop can install those. But as others have said, it would be a good idea to have an expert PSG repair guy look the guitar over completely.

Sam Hammond

Alameda, California
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2017 2:41 pm     wiring pots and bypass

Thanks, Doug.

I'm most certainly gonna have someone who knows PSGs take a look at this. That pic of the wiring is as I thought. I appreciate you taking it.

Sam

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2017 3:23 pm    

Sam: There are left handed pedal steels, but they are few and far between. Some builders will make you one for a surcharge. Just so you know.

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2017 3:33 pm    

Quote:
I've been playing guitar, piano and sax for a long time, and I've never felt more intimidated, and excited about learning an instrument.

One more thing Sam - Don't be intimidated. Just don't go there. Folks will say how hard it is to learn, and it can be, but don't get the mindset that it is.
Just don't go there. Don't expect to sound like Buddy Emmons or any of our other heroes after a week of playing either! Just don't go to the mindset that it's hard. That will only make it harder.
Cheers!

Sam Hammond

Alameda, California
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2017 3:54 pm     A million thanks

Gotta say, I'm really grateful for all the responses. You guys have been patient and encouraging and enthusiastic. I appreciate it.

Think I'll hang with you guys for a while!

Sam

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 13 Jan 2017 4:49 pm    

So how absolutely cool is this guys? A classic fat back push pull Emmons for $400? What a deal.

Not suggesting you sell it Sam, but I'm sure you know you could easily quintuple your investment!!

Very rare find, I am sure the buy and sell guys are all envious. Very Happy

Sam Hammond

Alameda, California
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2017 5:15 pm     Buying and Selling

Hey Bill,

I've been buying and selling instruments for a long time, and this is one of the best deals I've ever run across.

I'm gonna try to play it, and see what happens. If I get too frustrated too soon, I'll sell it. I love the sound of a pedal steel, and I'd like to try and make it work.

Sam

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2017 6:01 am     The seller was not a player

I knew right away, that whoever had this steel, didn't know what it was. The first thing I saw was, it was in the case backwards. That's a dead giveaway right there. I once bought one that arrived in the case upside down. Who in the hell does that?! Tommy.....

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2017 7:39 am    

Hi Sam,
You had said "If I get too frustrated too soon, I'll sell it.". Try not to say "Good bye" to your 'good buy', too soon! Although the psg is touted as 'hard to learn', it is NOT. It is hard to Master! But that goes for any instrument, so avoid the mindset that Mr. Bud mentioned.

Besides, you have a big plus going for you, in that this psg is not your first instrument. You have an idea of what you are supposed to do: chord progression, keeping the beat, etc. I would also suppose you can play by ear, a bit. Looking up chord charts, you would find that you can make all the chords (Nashville numbering 1 to 6) on your psg without having to move the bar.....BUT.....moving the bar is what makes the psg sound how it does. And! There are so many different ways to do the same thing on the psg!

As soon as your unit is looked at/restrung/set up, you can start playing chords along with songs you know. Keep on learning and listening to songs, and you will get the idea of what/how to do it! Learn on man!

.........................................Pat

Sam Hammond

Alameda, California
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2017 8:37 am     I strung up the S10!

Strung it up, E9. Plugged it in, and started fooling with it (kinda in lap steel mode). I tried a knee lever and popped the high G#! I guess that's a good omen. 😀

I called Kerry Johnson in Mountain View and I think I have a basic shakedown and maybe a first lesson if the guitar is completely playable.

If it needs repair, I'll send it off somewhere. But as far as I can see, it's all there and functional.

I'm LOVING the sound and the feel of this. First song was almost "I Can't Help It" but ended up being "Guilty" by Jim Reeves.

Sam

Dennis Lee

Forest Grove, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 9:59 am     Emmons Guru

Lynn Stafford, here in Oregon, is the Emmons restoration Guru!

Sam Hammond

Alameda, California
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 1:36 pm     Lynn Stafford

Thanks, Dennis.