The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ext D9
Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2017 2:57 pm    

I have an extra steel I'm thinking about lowering to an ext D9 from ext E9...my gauges are .054-.13 (10 string)....question is whether or not theses gauges will work and would I have to rerod the pulls? Thanks for any info you guys have.....Larry Shocked

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2017 3:29 pm    

I think you'd just be able to tune them with the nylon nuts. You MIGHT feel a hitch in the B pedal, but you'll be fine.

Zeke Cory

Hinsdale, New York USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2017 4:51 am     Down to D9th

You do not specifically "have" to change strings or re-rod anything to tune down to D9th. I have a D9th tuning with an E9th string set on it. If you want to just try it before you actually change strings just tune your E9th set of strings down 2 frets each. Tuning will be -
E F
C# C
F# G
D Db D# E
A B B Ab
F# G
E F
D Db D#
C B
A B
You will have to back off your pedal and knee lever pulls abit with the nylon tuning nuts. Also, the pedals and knee levers will move much easier & require less movement, and have very little push-back. You will also hardly ever break that .11 guage. I have played this setup for nearly 40 years. For the speed stuff, you can't beat this setup. Tone is a bit darker or stringier sounding. You may have to experiment with the extra two extended strings to find the correct string guage to use, depending on what pulls are on them, - as your strings will be a bit looser than the standard tension using this method.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2017 9:31 am    

I've got D9th on one of my steels and I really like it. It really has a warmer sound on the low strings. The one problem I had was with string 3 sounding weak and that was because I had a 10 gauge but replacing it with an 11 solved that.

Glenn Taylor

Denver, CO, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2017 9:38 am    

I've been using extended D9 for many years. I prefer it for all the reasons mentioned. I use .012 on string 3. .044 on string 11 (F#) and .060 on string 12 (D)

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2017 11:10 am     D9

Thanks guys...I tuned it down and all sounds good...I use a .012 on #3 on my E9s..seems to be fine in D...I'm rebuilding this 1979 I picked up, I've got 3 pedals to add and I'm ready to pick! Tuning is low-high; DADEF#ADF#C#E...Larry Very Happy

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2017 2:41 pm    

My, My Larry. A Keyless Sho-Bud & 12 strings at that.Just saw something about these a few days ago. Pretty rare one I think. J.R.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2017 2:59 pm     D9

HI JR....the tuner is a Bela (Oregon) and it's the 1st I've ever seen. I rebuilt it and changed how the strings attached and added .010 shims between the fingers to accommodate the strings/holding screws.(I've restored 2 dozen Buds over the years) It's 10 strings and was shortened by the original owner, a Bayou picker and Buddy of Shot's. He also added the Roland GK2. Larry Smile

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2017 4:29 pm    

Thanks Larry for getting me in the know. I do not know why I though it was a 12 string, just did. So someone took a standard Sho-Bud and cut the length down and put a custom made key less head on it. Pretty cool looking and I know that the key less head stays in tune very, very well. Thanks, J.R.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2017 4:56 pm     D9

JR..it's pretty tight under the hood....It came with 3/3 all moved inward several inches.....I still have to rerod it to 6/5....next cold snap here will be when I can get back to it...here's my 6/5 coped, going to drop it to Dext9 .Larry Smile Smile

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 3:58 pm     D9

Thanks guys...this worked out great!..softer pulls, same gauge strings as E9, all the pulls tuned right up...just got to remember my other steels are E9! Nice rich tones...Larry Very Happy