INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  recording videos with audio
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post Posted 11 Jan 2017 5:17 pm     Reply with quote

what kind of camera are those of you with youtube instructional videos using ? I am looking for something compatible with a mac, thanks !

Tacoma Washington, USA
Post Posted 12 Jan 2017 5:42 am     Reply with quote

Karen, I’m using a Logitech e930c, with both my old iMac and my MacBook Air.

Used it with this video I did... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk9tEJaRn5U

*1990 Jim Lindsey Special, Quad Original Bill Lawrence 705 PUP’s, 8x8 Gary Hogue Clone
*Black n Gray, Mullen D-10 8x7/ *Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6/ *Black Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x4
*Sho-Bud Maverick 3x1/ *Fender 400
*Fender Twin/ *Peavey Session 400/ *Peavey Session 500/ *Peavey Session 400, BW w/Spiderweb
*SteelSeat/ *Li’l Izzy/ *Profex ll/ *Lexicon MPX1/ *Telonics Multi-Taper/ *Brad Sarno Revelation Tube Pre-Amp/*Rick Johnson Cabinets
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post Posted 12 Jan 2017 7:16 am     Reply with quote

wow video looks great. thank you

Redditch, England
Post Posted 12 Jan 2017 8:33 am     Reply with quote

So that's a webcam, right? How do you take care of the audio side and where do they get combined? I'm looking to improve my video recording setup.

Tacoma Washington, USA
Post Posted 12 Jan 2017 8:48 am     Reply with quote

Ian Rae wrote:
So that's a webcam, right? How do you take care of the audio side and where do they get combined? I’m looking to improve my video recording setup.

Ian, I record both the video and audio with the Webcam and then just the audio with PreSonus Studio One 3 Professional DAW... when I’m done with that, I bring both into iMovie and “Try” and line up the audio waveform’s of each with each other to sync the two... If you have to do multiple takes, like me that can get a little tricky but becomes easier as you do it... Unfortunately the audio from just about any camera isn’t going to be as good as with a DAW, so it’s all part of the process.

*1990 Jim Lindsey Special, Quad Original Bill Lawrence 705 PUP’s, 8x8 Gary Hogue Clone
*Black n Gray, Mullen D-10 8x7/ *Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6/ *Black Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x4
*Fender Twin/ *Peavey Session 400/ *Peavey Session 500/ *Peavey Session 400, BW w/Spiderweb
*SteelSeat/ *Li’l Izzy/ *Profex ll/ *Lexicon MPX1/ *Telonics Multi-Taper/ *Brad Sarno Revelation Tube Pre-Amp/*Rick Johnson Cabinets
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post Posted 12 Jan 2017 9:02 am     Reply with quote

what kind of mic do you use ?

Tacoma Washington, USA
Post Posted 12 Jan 2017 9:10 am     Reply with quote

Karen Sarkisian wrote:
what kind of mic do you use ?

Karen if I use a mic it’s an SM-57... Lately I’ve been recording direct with a Revelation Tube Pre-amp, a Lexicon MPX1, a Crown XLS 1002 Power Amp and interfacing with a PreSonus FireStudio Project

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post Posted 12 Jan 2017 9:13 am     Reply with quote

cool thanks ! Cool

Deer Creek, Illinois, USA
Post Posted 12 Jan 2017 10:25 am     Reply with quote

That is a great video Dale. I really enjoy your playing.
Dale Rottacker

Tacoma Washington, USA
Post Posted 12 Jan 2017 11:10 am     Reply with quote

You’re welcome Karen.... good luck with your quest... When I first started looking for a webcam, (tired of using my phone, and although the laptop takes pretty good video in the Photo Booth, it’s a little bulky if you want to do overhead shots) I had read some reviews that weren’t too flattering, as far as using with Mac’s, but Logitech did some tweaking with the software and I think got whatever it was fixed... the only little quirk I think it has it the Auto Focus.... but just click it off and it’s perfect.

Richard, thank-you so much, I appreciate the compliment

Dale Rottacker

Tacoma Washington, USA
Post Posted 14 Jan 2017 3:39 pm     Reply with quote

WHOOOOOOOPS... its a C930e... Amazon.com for 99bucks.... Sorry!!!

ajm

Los Angeles
Post Posted 15 Jan 2017 10:59 am     Reply with quote

A bit off topic and maybe irrelevant. It may or may not apply to you, or your recording system, or audio versus video issues, so with that disclaimer in mind...........

I have gotten into the habit of always taking one track and recording a click track for any future songs that I'm doing. (Obviously we're talking audio here.) You may not ever need it, but if you ever need something to sync up to later, for whatever reason, you have it.

Like I said, it may or may not apply to you or the system that you're using. I'm warning you in advance, you DO NOT want to know what ancient prehistoric gear I'm using.