The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Live recording of Witches Brew
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 8:01 am    

I used to have a live recording of Witches Brew that I got from Limewire once upon a time. iTunes has since reached it's arm into my account and stole every recording from my iTunes folder that I didn't buy from them (including some records I played on...).

Does this ring any bells out there? Sounded like Phil Baugh on guitar, and Buddy had an envelope filter on the steel, not a wah. There's also a very rhythmic piano solo on the track, maybe Randy R?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 8:18 am    

I have it on vinyl somewhere, it was from the 1981 (I think) ISGC Live album.
iTunes began their very existence showing their nefarious ways (songs bought from them would only play on either Apple devices or the Windows PC on which they were first bought), and I've never used them since.
Their practice of eliminating your own music is well known, not sure why you chose to do business with them.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 8:52 am    

Thanks Lane. Good to know it's out there somewhere. Guess I used iTunes because it came installed on my computer and phone and didn't know any better. I pretty much only listen to records now at home. I'll be looking for a copy of that.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 8:58 am    

Funny side note... I was DJ-ing from the sound booth at a festival one time and played that track. Overheard some hippy types talking when I put it on and one guy said, "Not sure what it is but I guarantee it's a Dead side project, maybe 'Legions of Mary'" haha

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 10:29 am    

It's on the "Buddy Emmons Live '77" double album if you can find it. http://www.buddyemmons.com/LIVE.htm

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 4:43 pm    

the '77 version is the only live one I know of. with Bucky Barrett on guitar.

are there others?

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 8:44 pm     Live recording of Witches Brew

I heard a friend talk about the live recording of Witches Brew. If I remember right he said they had a Mike over a commode in the bathroom and flushed it as the grand finalie ending.

There was a cut of Witches Brew on Buddy's Album that is commonly called The Black Album.

If You google Buddy Emmons Witches Brew it will come up on U-Tube. It listed as 2014, and has the commode flush at the end.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2017 8:44 am    

Thanks guys, got it all sorted out now. Found a vinyl copy as well as digital. I realize now I was remembering that rhythmic piano solo as well as the guitar solo from the live version of "Hold It", but the '77 ISGC recording is what I was looking for.

hold it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qZwWwGgB0

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 12:58 am    

As I recall Buddy played "Witches Brew" live at The National Steel Guitar Convention in 1974. Smile

Roger

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 8:40 am    

Quote:
...they had a Mike over a commode in the bathroom and flushed it as the grand finale ending

I remember hearing that story. I had "The Black Album" back in the 70s and I listened to it hundreds of times, and I never noticed the toilet flush at the end of Witches Brew. I just listened to it on YouTube and I heard it! I also had the live St. Louis albums (1 & 2) when they came out in 1977.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 11:50 am    

here's a few choice quotes from Buddy re. Witches Brew and the Black Album:

Is the echo effect in Witches Brew an Echoplex?
Yes.

How did you come up with the bubbling effect? What type of wah did you use?
I originally established a melody through a rhythm pattern I discovered with the Echoplex. A few days prior to the session, I acquired a Gibson wah-wah pedal and by chance, used it with the melody. The bubbling effect added an entirely new dimension to the tune so I used it.
I didn't have a name for the melody until we ran a few rehearsals in the studio. The bubbling sound reminded pianist Bill Purcell of a witch's cauldron, so we kicked a few titles around and came up with Witches Brew.

What box did you use for the Brew distortion solo?
I can't say for sure but I believe it was an MXR.

Is it actually a toilet being flushed in the studio with a mike run down the hall? Did Weldon Myrick really think of this?
Yes, Weldon hung a microphone over a commode and flushed it during the fade; and yes, it was his idea.

It is you doing the witch laugh?
I'm doing the laughing.

Did you play the 5th in Kicks to Boot or was it an effects box or some other form of trickery?
The 5ths were overdubbed.