The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carter universal on eBay
Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 8:02 pm    

I'm sick. Someone is selling his father's instruments on eBay and one of those instruments was a pretty green Carter uni. The guitar was sold to some klutz who apparently tried to convert it to an extended E9th but only succeeded in turning a precision piece of machinery into a pile of junk metal. He then apparently told the seller the instrument could not be tuned and returned it. The before and after pictures tell the story. A cave man has adjusted the space shuttle. Ugh! If only we had a service to assist our heirs in the sale of our musical equipment when we leave this earth so that they are not taken advantage of by others due to their lack of knowledge of our guitars, amps, etc. Thoughts, anyone?

Alan Simon

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 5:39 am    

You mean this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carter-Pedal-Steel-Guitar-12-string-/152397959345?hash=item237ba050b1:g:naQAAOSwNnRYfBmD
I wonder if all the rods and parts he took off come with the guitar. If so, it could be a great deal for someone wanting a uni 12 at a reasonable price.

Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 4:29 pm    

Yup, that's the one. You're right. If all the parts were there and not damaged beyond repair it could be a great deal for someone - that is, someone who knows what they're doing.

Alan Simon

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 5:29 pm    

It went for large $$$$ anyway. I wrote the owner and asked if the missing rods comes with it and he said no. They maybe hard to replace since the rod wire is much thinner than most steels use.

Ross Fellrath

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 6:09 pm    

Pull rods are easy on a Carter. They're just 3/32" stainless I forget which alloy but the machineable one. Bend a hook on the end, cut to length and thread with a 4-40 die. Pedal rods would be hard.

Alan Simon

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2017 6:30 pm    

I was referring to the bellcrank to changer rods. The ones under the hood.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 8:41 am    

It is an unfortunate fact that pedal guitars are sometimes purchased by people who have zippo mechanical ability and little common sense. Oh Well

Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 10:22 am    

You're right of course, Donny. But the point I was trying to get across is that I see a need for a contact to assist our heirs in at least giving them some advice on how to dispose of our equipment in a fashion in which a reasonable, fair, and honest outcome ensues. I don't know how such a contact would be aware of the artist's demise, though. Any heir aware of the SGF would certainly look there to get an idea of the value of the merchandise or find a PSG dealer. Of course, in this case the only real problem was that the seller agreed to accept a return after the guitar had been mauled. Lucky for him, the returned guitar wound up selling for a good price anyway. I hope the new owner is able to make it functional again without spending too much more money. Oh Well

Ross Fellrath

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2017 10:45 am    

yeah Alan. Those are easy!