The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who all plays steel guitar at a Cowboy Church?
Keenan Friday

Magnolia, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 12:56 am    

I never heard of the cowboy church until I was playing a gig and the girl singer invited me to church with her. At the time I was looking for a church and going to college. I regularly played until the band split for personal/health reasons and then became worship leader.

I know a lot of the steel players on the forum are from Texas and surrounding states so I was wondering if you could give:

1.Name of Church
2.City it is located in
3.How you found out about the church

Thanks

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 3:23 am    

My Wife and I play at a Cowboy Church, but its in Lecanto Florida, not near Texas.

Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 4:39 am    

I've been playing in a cowboy church band 7 years located 50 miles south of Kansas City close to the town of Louisburg Ks. We meet on Tuesday nights at 7pm. It's called Rutlader Outpost Cowboy Church 5 miles south of Louis burg, Ks. 335th and US69 highway then east 1/2 mile. This last summer was our 3rd year playing at the Missouri state fair. We have a really great band no hassels about who plays what. We are in it for our Lord. This country needs to find it's way back to the lord like our constitution was patterend after. Wes God Bless You All I found out about the church as the Middle Creek Opry was located here.

Keenan Friday

Magnolia, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 10:24 am    

This is an interesting topic as you guys post. Where I am from we hear of new cowboy churches starting often. These towns with around 12000 population or so about 30-60 minutes in either direction.

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 11:01 am    

I am not familiar with a Cowboy Church. We have a church on every corner here in EAST TN but none advertised as a Cowboy Church. Can somebody explain?

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 2:51 pm    

Very popular in north Texas with all of the cutting horse and team roping crowd. Most are a non denominational evangelical Protestant group. They are set up with western motifs and the liturgy is typically sola scriptura bible authority preaching, praise and worship, saved by faith in Christ, and the music is fairly contemporary just done with a mix of top 40 country, classic country and contemporary and classic gospel feel. I've subbed at a couple in the past. Usually they have a mix of veteran players and a lot of beginners. But very positive and family oriented. Most of the parishioners dress in western attire, they wear boots and hats and some of the more affluent even have a nice roping arena attached. I was fairly comfortable when I subbed the 2 or 3 times I was called. They like to rehearse..a lot, or the ones I went to did.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 7:50 pm    

There is a large one about a mile from my house, Williamson County Cowboy Church. I have a lot of friends that go there, but I don't. My friend Jerry Sherbon played steel there for several years, and I think he was the band leader for a while. This one has a roping arena attached.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 7:56 pm    

Bill C. Buntin wrote:
...the music is fairly contemporary just done with a mix of top 40 country, classic country and contemporary and classic gospel feel.

So is the music all gospel/religious themes or do they also play secular 'top 40 country' and 'classic country' in church?

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 8:57 pm    

Difficult to describe without describing the theology that goes along with it. I will refrain from the theology and state only the facts of how I interpreted the music liturgy.

No they don't play secular top 40 or classic country, they play gospel music typically in those styles. For instance you may hear something that sounds like a ray price shuffle with fiddle and steel guitar, but the lyrics are specifically Christian. There are a lot of country Christian artists as I understand it. I worked a few times for one such artist who charted a number one country gospel single called "these old eyes have seen it all". He was a country Christian singer songwriter named Joe Paul Nichols. When he would do shows at churches they were all gospel tunes. Much in the old style of the happy goodmans, sort of a Branson, MO style more or less. When he would play a regular concert they were never in night clubs, usually in civic auditoriums, oprys and schools etc. at those gigs he would do a mix of secular and country gospel.

The praise and worship bands at cowboy churches where I subbed would just play what I guess is typical Protestant praise and worship music, and the steel guitarist and fiddle player sort of make the band sound country. Realistically now days I think there are a lot of specific Christian and western charts. I don't listen to that kind of music nor do attend that type of church. So I cannot say specically who or which artists they cover now. Used to be like Amy Grant stuff and others of that Genre.

I worked with another guy for awhile who was essentially trying to be a contemporary Christian George strait. He wasn't bad. The gigs paid decent but a little of that genre goes a long way for me.

There are a lot of cowboy churches around where I live. And the parking lots are full of big pick up trucks and big, nice high dollar horse trailers full of high dollar horses, And I think most of their praise and worship bands carry a full complement fiddle, steel, lead guitar, acoustic guitar front person. As well as drummer, piano and bass. Stages I played on were nearly identical to a big dance hall stage, just no smoke, no booze, no crying in your beer lyrics.

I call it Christian and western. I don't mean that negatively. I profess Christianity myself but I just don't really understand this style of worship. Nothing wrong with it. Just not my deal personally.

I had a good experience working with them, they treat you really well. Eventually theology and beliefs come up and most always you are asked if you are a Christian and what church do you attend which most certainly results in me being prayed for, which I always politely thank them for praying for me.

One would most certainly nearly have to join the church I think to make a steady gig out of it. Again, I don't mean anything negative here. I will sub anytime. It's just not how I choose to worship.

Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 4:17 am    

At our cowboy church we have a lady band leader that is a very gifted singer and musician she can play every instrument on stage except steel. The pastor is a Baptist preacher originally from western Oklahoma. He gives her an out line of the sermon and she sets the music to that. She will take a song that is not country and make it country. We don't get paid. We have an average attendance of about 90 to 100. We also have a threshing crew feed after wards. It is non denominational. One of the best things I have ever done. We run through what we are playing 1 hr. before. We also have been requested to play at several venues including artists who travel around doing gospel. Pastor also plays and likes traditional country. Wes

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 4:51 am    

This concept started at rodeos, where Christian Cowboys were usually competing and away from home on weekends. The pastor of the church near me still travels to a lot of rodeos and holds services on Sunday mornings. He's also a roper but I don't know whether he competes or not. I visited this church a few years ago and they had a really good band and lots of music. Most churches only have about 3 or 4 songs each service, but this one had about 8 or 10 with a good variety.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Keenan Friday

Magnolia, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 5:42 am    

Some contest the idea is remove or limit the senses barrier to the lost or unsaved. They walk into church and they retain their attention long enough to hear preachers message.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 8:57 am    

I fully endorse this type of service.
There are a lot of churches that are soooo bound up in tradition and form that they completely miss the message.
I have been to some churches lately and I've looked around and cannot put my eyes on even one bible.
Give me a good old fashioned bible thumpin' church any old day!
My church isn't "cowboy church" but we preach the gospel message and if you want to wear your boots, that's ok with us.
Here's a picture of the boys and I doing some pickin' at our little wooden church on the hill.

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 9:38 am    

Very interesting! Is there any "artist" in this style that one can listen to, or do any of you folks have and recordings of your services?

I use to play drums at a Pentecostal church with a solid keyboardist & singer. Released a tape made thru the pa board to support us, and it did OK. I will look it up and post some samples if anyone is interested.

Sorry, no steel, but a LOT of fun! Laughing Cool

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 11:03 am    

The pastor of the Cowboy Church near me is a really good singer, here's a link to their website which has some music clips too, although they may be studio recordings, I haven't listened to them in a while.

http://wccowboychurch.ning.com/

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 12:45 pm    

Thanks for the link! Cool

Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 4:38 pm    

I played steel and keys at the Chisholm Trail Cowboy Church in Weir Texas on occasion. the band I was in was kinda a cowboy gospel group. Lot of fun, and very receptive audience.

Their services where held in a big tent!

Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 4:36 am    

I have played at a Cowboy Church near Williamston, N.C. a couple of times at fund-raisers.
Very nice people. Appreciative audiences.

Lowell Whitney

Waynoka, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 5:08 pm     Cowboy Church

Chisholm Trail Cowboy Church west of Enid, OK every Thursday at Stockyards Sale Barn. Features a variety of artists, solo and groups, including one called Ruff Cutts Gospel Band which I play with. We do mostly Southern Gospel and 30 to 45 minutes of music. I know of one other Oklahoma steeler, who is a member of the forum, that has played at this church. By the way, we will be there next Thursday, January 19th.

Lowell

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 5:14 pm    

I played for the No Hat Cowboy Praise Band for a couple of years.They were a traveling outfit based in Durango.Did their Northern Colorado and Wyoming gigs,and went to New Mexico with them a couple of times.They found me thru my Bandmix ad.It was a really different experience for me,but a very good one,and I've been keeping an eye out for something similar.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2017 2:31 am    

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=denton%20county%20cowboy%20church
Here is a video of Curtis Hogue and the Denton County Cowboy Church. They were on a road trip but play good hard shell country. And the guys are great people to be around. Scroll down just a touch to a Florida trip to see the video.

Ford Cole

Texas
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2017 5:12 pm    

May the Lord bless each of you as you honor Him tomorrow on the "instrument of 10 strings" !
Psalm 33:2

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2017 8:13 am    

I play for the Corsicana Cowboy Church. We usually run around 500. During our last Crusade , which was geared towards young people, we saw over 150 youth from the area give their hearts to the Lord. We ran around 1000 each night. Thanks to members of the Church we were able to give away a trip to Disney Land one night. Which was won by a family that probably would not have been able to afford it. One night another young man, 16 , won a car. Which he needed very badly.
We have team roping on Tuesdays , Bible study Wednesday, and service on Sunday morning. Many of our members participate in Rodeos but not all of them.
Our songs are Southern and Country Gospel , followed by a couple of praise songs done in our own style. We do Randy Travis , Hinsons , and songs like Three Nails and a Cross by George Strait. It's a lot of fun and very rewarding.

Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Keenan Friday

Magnolia, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 8:18 pm    

I played steel at j-c cowboy church in Lewisville AR. That is southwest arkansas. Here is a video of a cover of lady antebellum's "Never alone". The melody sounds alot like Eli young bands' Highways and broken hearts" Not long after I started playing at the church. Forgive my playing. It was fun and like others hAve said very rewarding to play to/for the church

https://youtu.be/AgygtZueW7E

John H. McGlothlin

Raton, New Mexico
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2017 10:02 am    

I have been playing Steel Guitar and Guitar at High Praise Ranch Cowboy Church here in Raton New Mexico for the past 5 years. The message at this Church is The Message Of The Cross, Jesus Christ and Him Crucified.