The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Adventures in cheap lap steels
Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2017 11:25 am    

I'm looking for another beater I can take to jams with a small practice amp.

I saw the Rogue RLS-1 on sale and ordered one. I suppose I knew what I was getting into. Out of the box it looks pretty, if a tad small. Everything on it is just polished cheapness though. The tuners can be tuned but are very chintzy. Plastic nut and goofy bridge do not impress. But the worst part is the complete lack of tone, it truly sounds awful. Granted I didn't spend a lot of time trying to dial it in, but I should at least get something out of the box. This one is probably going back. I could hot rod it, but I'd spend more in parts than the guitar and its not even the right scale.

I also just got the SX 1, with the little Alnico pickup and bass bridge cover. Against the SX 2 I just liked the looks better. Out of box it has a very pleasing tone for the price. The tuners are great, metal nut, and so-so bridge. The output is not that high, even after raising the pickup some. But the main problem is there is a persistent buzz anytime I'm not touching the strings or bridge cover (weird). Ground/wiring maybe. I think I will rewire it and maybe swap a few parts, although overall the quality of the electronics is higher than the Rogue and (I think) higher than the Recording King I bought some time back. Strings that came on it were a little heavy. Overall attractive guitar with some potential. I might consider getting their 8-string model, the bridge certainly looks better and I do like a p90.

On both the legs are terrible. Or at least screwing in the legs is, I can't really get them to start threading properly without binding up in the taps, if they will start at all. The bags for both are surprisingly nice, although the SX is better.

Both guitars just help me appreciate the Cadillac quality of my 63-year-old Console Grande all the more, lol.

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2017 12:08 pm    

I bought the Rogue for $75 at Musician's Friend just to see if I liked lap steel. Turned out I love it.
So I made a steel nut, a steel bridge and installed an old Epiphone humbucker I had laying around..
So, for $75 and a few hours work I have a cheap little ol' lap steel that sounds pretty good (to me).
If I hadn't have bought that little instrument and given it a try and then modified later I would never still be playing lap steel.
I now have several other guitars. Some good, some I consider amazing.
But I still play the little ol' Rogue and still love it.

It's not a performance instrument.
For me it was a "Let me see if I enjoy playing lap steel" instrument.
Without it I doubt if I would be here.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2017 2:13 pm    

Brad Davis wrote:

I also just got the SX .... I might consider getting their 8-string model, the bridge certainly looks better and I do like a p90.
Both guitars just help me appreciate the Cadillac quality of my 63-year-old Console Grande all the more, lol.

Well, a lot of those old workhorse instrument were pretty durn good!

BTW, the 8 string SX is not bad for under 200 bucks.

Larry Carlson wrote:
If I hadn't have bought that little instrument and given it a try and then modified later I would never still be playing lap steel.
I now have several other guitars. Some good, some I consider amazing.
But I still play the little ol' Rogue and still love it.

I got a rogue w/ case and legs for knock-around gigs. It worked well enough that I still haven't hot-rodded it yet, although I have the parts ready to go.

I want to make the scale length a bit longer, replace the bridge and nut, and make it string-through.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2017 2:16 pm     Re: Adventures in cheap lap steels

Brad Davis wrote:

On both the legs are terrible. Or at least screwing in the legs is, I can't really get them to start threading properly without binding up in the taps, if they will start at all. .

On the SX and the Rogue, I knew the legs were a bit cheap. Did you try using a little grease on the screw threads?

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2017 3:26 pm    

Good tip on the grease, I will have to try that.

Not to say you can't work with the Rogue as a foundation, with a few parts, I just think I'd much rather spend the effort on the Rondo, its just a little nicer for not much more money. Right out the gate nothing absolutely has to be replaced, and the tuners and nut at the very least are good to go. Whereas pretty much everything on the Rogue is substandard, and mine anyway has no tone at all, sounds really poor. I like the tone of the SX a lot and won't necessarily need a new pickup anytime soon, if I can fix the ground fault buzz.

Randy Chow

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2017 11:47 pm    

I got a lefty SX 1 on eBay for around $130. Overall I was pleased with the deal which included the stand legs and gig bag like yours. As for the instrument itself I think its a great deal for the money, even though the tuners are a little crooked. I also get the outrageous hum from the single pickup, but for a total beginner like me the SX 1 has been fun to learn on.

I want to get an 8 string but Rondo doesn't make their 8 string in lefty even though they have a HUGE amount of their other guitars and basses available lefty. The guy I emailed about it said they may consider a lefty 8 string for 2017, so maybe its time to email him back about it.

I was thinking about a Joe Morrell for an 8 string but I found out that their fret markers are slikscreened on which I balked at. I also recently read a post on here where someone said re Morrell 8 strings: 'If they are really made in America then America should be ashamed of itself' or words to that effect. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I also contacted Rukavina guitars after seeing some of their work. He initially replied and said he doesn't usually do lefties but its possible but I haven't heard back from him for about a month. So maybe he's not interested or it could be possible he might be exhibiting at NAMM and therefore very busy??? They are pricier but their instruments look unique and very well made.

I am tempted to just buy the righty Rondo 8 string and mod/replace the nut and give it a go for the time being, with the hopes they will have a lefty later on.