The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud LDG - Adding a 5th Knee Lever
Bob Metzger

Waltham (Boston), MA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2017 10:05 am    

Hi All,

I have a later version LDG (Super Pro parts) and I'd like to add a 5th knee lever (L->V). I'd probably like to use the standard Super Pro parts to make it look consistent with the rest of the guitar's undercarriage parts.

For those who have already done this (or had it done for them) to their LDG steels, I'm wondering if you might please send me a few pics so I could see how you did it, how it's laid out and what parts are involved. I'm just assembling all the parts now and have run into a couple parts layout snafus and it might be a good idea to be better informed before I start drilling.

Thanks,

Bob M.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 2:13 pm    

Hi Bob,
I know zip about Super Pros, by my November '74 has 6 levers. If there's any similarity, I'll send pics.
Best, Buddy,
JB
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Clyde Lane

Glasgow, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 3:02 pm    

Bob this is not a factory install. Duane Marrs did this for me about 15 years ago. Hope it helps.

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 4:36 pm    

Send me your email address and I'll send you some pics of my LDG. Mine also has the Super Pro pulling system. It had 4 KL's....I added a LKV. I also modified the RKR KL and relocated it as Sho-Bud had them uncomfortably and inconveniently too far forward in the cabinet for playing.
PRR

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 7:22 pm    

See www.psgparts.com for getting the parts

Bob Metzger

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 10:16 am     adding a 5th KL on Sho-Bud LDG steel...

Hi Clyde,

This is what I was hoping to find, thanks. Could I impose on you one more time and ask for some additional close-up pics of how the vertical knee lever connects to the bell crank and how the linkage rod connects to both of its ends to the bellcranks.

Thanks so much - it's a big help!

Hey Paul,

Thank you. I'd love to see pics of how you added that 5th knee lever on your LDG. My email address is : metzmail@gmx.com. Thanks for that offer.

Hey JB,

Hope all is well with you. Can't wait to get to Ohio and see that new Dr.Z amp you've mentioned. No timeframe right now but sooner than later for sure. Take care, buddy.

Bob M.

Clyde Lane

Glasgow, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 5:58 pm    

Bob I no longer have that guitar. The linkage rod just had bends on the end and the same spring clip that Sho-Bud used on all the rods. The bends on the end where not a 90 degree bends (they where slightly more than 90 degrees) as it was not a straight pull. There was just a regular Sho-Bud bell crank on both ends.

Bob Metzger

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 11:27 am    

Hi Clyde,

Thanks for the reply. I was mainly concerned about that hi-boy part that connects the vertical lever to the bellcrank. If that part is the 'stock' height, I don't know that my case would be able to close as it would stick up too high. I think I need a cut down version (less vertical height). Not exactly sure but that seems to be the situation with my Pro I which just barely clears the top of the case when closed and that lever sits lower into that steel than the same parts would in my LDG.

That LDG looks like a red finish, pretty unusual, although I guess I've seen the LDG in a couple of different finishes/colors.

Thanks again for the pics you sent.

Regards,

Bob M.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 11:59 am    

Hey Bob!
When Ricky Davis did my S-10, 3 and 6,with Coop parts, the vertical sticks up above the case lid a bit. Ricky told me not to be concerned about it, as closing the case pushed the lever the same way you knee does.
Best,
JB
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Clyde Lane

Glasgow, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 2:22 pm    

Bob it looked just like the other knee lever brackets. I don't think you could use it if it were up closer the body of the guitar. There was an adjustment screw in the top of the bracket to angle the lever up or down more. When Duane installed it he said it was just how the factory did it.

Yes it was red. I bought it new in 1978 and like a fool traded it off almost a year ago.

Included a pic of a side view.

Bob Metzger

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 12:03 am    

Yes, JB, I'm sure you're right about that. I'll do mock-up of all the parts before drilling so I know everything will fit and I'll be able to close the case lid.

Clyde, that's a really nice looking steel. My LDG is pretty faded to a kind of strange green color; I've seen a few like this. OTOH, my LDG steel was used very little before I got it so everything is really tight, not sloppy, almost new. I'm kind of waiting for it to get a little more broken in.

Regards,
Bob M.