The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PP Maintenance Book mentioned in a recent post. Where is it?
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2010 5:44 am    

I would like to get this book. Somebody said a guy in MN had written it and that it was available on eBay or direct. Can't seem to find the info. II was posted within the last week, I think.

Anders Eriksson

Mora, Dalecarlia, Sweden
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2010 9:22 am    

here is one thread

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=187126

If you search on Clems' PP methodology book you maybe will find more...

Did a search and found this:
Quote:

I'd highly recommend you purchase the booklet "Methodology And Practice In Pedal Steel Guitar" by Clem Schmitz. Clem used to own a steel guitar store and repair shop. In his booklet, Clem explains step by step (with photos) exactly how to adjust push-pull guitars with several clever little tricks that would take a very long time to figure out.

He sells the book on eBay. It is currently listed as "Pedal Steel Guitar Methodology P/P Guide Booklet" for $11.
If you can't find it there, you can contact Clem at: freedomsauce@bellsouth.net

// Anders

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2010 9:58 am    

Here's a free one:
http://www.melmusic.com/laceyj/guide.html

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2010 2:52 pm    

Clem's writing style is a bit hard to get used to, but that book, combineed with the Emmons Wilderness Survival Guide really helped me get my Emmons playing perfectly.

You neeed to really read Clems book, a few times and really understand what he's saying. It's in there, just gotta wrap your head around it.

All the points those guys make are IMPORTANT and crucial to getting the guitar playing it's best.

Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2010 3:02 pm    

There is an Ebay seller who sells Hal Rugg instructional material who sells Clem's book. I bet if you check with steel guitar shops you will find a copy: Palenscar, Scotty, or Bobbee.

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2010 11:46 pm    

Dave Magram - 06 July 2008 00:52 Subject: Repair manual for Emmons push-pull guitars wrote:

. . .

It is a myth that Emmons push-pull guitars are difficult to adjust or keep in adjustment. They are very sturdy guitars, very well designed, built with rugged, high-quality parts, and the mechanics are very easy to understand (pull to raise, push to lower).

Once the guitar is set up properly . . . it is unlikely you will have to touch the undercarriage for many years to come, if ever.

However, it's always useful to have a repair manual around "just in case".

I'd highly recommend Clem Schmitz's bargain-priced booklet "Methodology And Practice In Pedal Steel Guitar"($11). Clem used to own a steel guitar store and repair shop. In his booklet, Clem explains step by step (with photos) exactly how to adjust push-pull guitars along with several clever little tricks that would take a very long time to figure out.
He sells the booklet on eBay. It is currently listed as "Pedal Steel Guitar Methodology P/P Guide Booklet" for $11.
Clem also now sells a DVD for $17 listed as "Pedal Steel Guitar Methodology DVD P/P Guide", and a combo package "Pedal Steel Guitar Methodology P/P Book & DVD Package" for $22.
If you can't find it there, you can contact Clem at: freedomsauce@bellsouth.net

My suggestion is to purchase Clem's booklet, and make a note as to where you put it, 'cuz you probably ain't ever gonna need it!

Dave

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=137399&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2010 7:54 am     PP Maintenance manual mentioned previousely, where is it?

Thanks for the information. I am a fairly good mechanic on Emmons PP's, but not a pro by any means. I am pretty mechanical minded and understand how everything works and is tied together. I was just interested in any material that might be useful. And I agree that it is a myth that they are hard to work on. I think they are quite simple, really, if you understand them and how one thing affects another thing. Also, I agree that you should seldom, if ever, have to work on the under carriage unless you want to change your set up. Also, rarely, should you have to adjust the end plate tunings. These guitars are well made and in my opinion, are about as trouble free as you can get unless you start tinkering with them without a good understanding of how everything works together.

Don Benoit

Okanagan Falls, BC
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2015 8:26 am    

I have the two CD set and book for sale for $10 + shipping.
http://www.members.shaw.ca/steelguitars/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Sven Kontio

Sweden
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2015 12:11 pm    

George,

Please use this link to find CORRECT Very Happy information over how to buy the booklet directly from the author, Clem Schmitz. I strongly recommend you to buy the package deal w/ the Dvd´s.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=248189&highlight=

Best

Sven

Don Benoit

Okanagan Falls, BC
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 11:33 am    

Sold
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2021 8:11 pm    

Good deal here!

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2021 8:23 pm    

Good deal here!

Eric Reeves

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2021 5:16 am    

I emailed Clem last night. Here's what I woke to, hope it helps some others!

Still available on eBay, the booklet w/2 DVD's is the most ordered and the # is 274 497 649 883 at 20.00 plus 5.00 postage. The other package has the latest DVD final effort and that # is 274 497 516 451 at 32.00 and free postage. The listings have descriptions and are ready to go and we send bonus CD or DVD with each order.
Thank you for contacting me and we are here to help,
My best,
clem

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2021 5:47 am    

There is a link above (from 2015) in which I provide an Ebay link that is now dead. This is current:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pedal-Steel-Guitar-Emmons-PP-Booklet-3-DVDs-Pkge-2-Covers-Tips-Service-More/274497516451

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2021 7:16 am    

I've known Clem since the late '70s. Finer men are few and far between. What he doesn't know about pedal steel guitars, and especially push-pulls, is not worth knowing. He's been the go-to guy I trust to work on my three old Emmons guitars.

This guy trusts Clem to service his personal instruments, which would seem an obvious ringing endorsement for his work: