The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Universal-12
Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 12:50 pm    

I purchased my Zum SD-12 from someone that obviously was an E9 player. The B6 pedals weren't even tuned. The Copedent was really strange and had some odd custom changes.

But what got me was the E's on the left. And I came from an S-10 standard Emmons setup. I left it the way it was for about 6 months while trying to learn something about B6 but quickly found holding RKL for B6 was really awkward for me.

I finally bit the bullet and bought parts from Bruce and moved both E's to the right knee. Now both my U-12's have basically a Newman setup.

And yes I can fold up my LKR but rarely do. I've just angled it to give me more room to get to pedals 6 and 7. And I can still hit the B pedal as well. But it does require me playing on the side of my foot to get to pedal 7.

The key is setting the correct height on pedals 4,5,6 and 7. They can't all be the same height. 4 is lower than C. 5 is a lot lower than 6 and 7 is higher than 6. That took a lot of trial and error to get it where I could use the pedals without folding up LKR.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 2:25 pm    

Ollin is reporting from a world that I recognise. My pedals look a mess but they do what I want. LKR I can fold or dodge. Using the side of the foot was good enough for Buddy Emmons.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2017 3:06 pm    

The Williams is a fine guitar. Here is my Williams U-12 with 7 pedals and 6 knee levers. All wood with lacquer finish and vine of life abalone inlay.

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2017 7:44 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
No Les, I meant RKR as in the Newman setup that Jerry describes. If I had to hold RKL to play B6 I wouldn't be able to rock off 5 on to 7 (I have no 6) as my knees would collide! RKL is my strings 2 & 9 lever, only used in E9 mode when my left leg is to the left.

Interesting. FWIW, what I've done is to add a leather thong to tie the E lower on RKL down for when I need to double foot or rock pedals on the right side of the guitar.

you're absolutely right, though - the RKL move does cause some mechanical contention.

Thanks for the reply.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 8:04 pm    

In my prior post I stated I had 4 or 5 different 12-U tunings Here is JEFF NEWMAN'S COPENDENT

Lucked out it shows the + and - for sweetened tuning.
Hope this will be of benefit to some. Happy Steelin.