The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6 to E9/B6 Conversion
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 8:27 am    

After seeing all the interest in another thread re: Buddy's Basic C6 course, I started looking for my copy of the course,,,long since misplaced,,so I ordered a new copy. It is such a GREAT basic course I am thinking about doing a conversion to E9/B6 universal,,,like I did on Trap Truly's C6 Chord Charts,,,there was a ton of interest on that (over the years I've had hundreds of request),,,I wonder if there would be an interest in a Basic C6 to E9/B6 uni conversion? Of course I guess I would need to get permission from someone (Ernie and Buddy gave me permission to do a conversion of Buddy's C6 stuff from Guitar Player Magazine,,,which also garnered a lot of request). I'm also amazed at how much of it could be applied to C6 lap or non-pedal! Any interest???

Larry Phleger

DuBois, PA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 11:40 am    

I think that is a great idea. Some people are reluctant to go to the E9/B6 universal as there is limited instructional material specifically designed for this setup. I recently purchased the Emmons Basic C6 course, and find it greatly expands my understanding of the basic C6 copedent. I immediately began transposing those charts in my head as Jeff Newman suggests in his summary of the E9/C6 setup. It would be great to see charts specifically written for the Universal tuning. Smile

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 3:03 pm    

Sonny, I started more or less doing this for my own use, in attempt to teach myself Bb6 (Reece Anderson, David Wright) etc.

When I took lessons from Reece, he immediately began to suggest the universal concept. As you know universal requires one to think more multi dimensionally across the tuning.

I think it's a worthy effort. Particularly considering a player who is at a skill level where they need a guideline and method laid out to specifics so as to apply known C6 onto whatever uni tuning they choose.

It is still on my bucket list to build a Bb6 uni and see what happens. I love jazz. And I love c6 work. Listening intently to the masters of the Bb6 Reece, jr knight, David wright, is particularly inspiring.

Would be interesting in reading comments about this from Jr. and or David.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 3:14 pm    

Bill, my MonsterBud universal is going to be an "unflatted Bb6", in B6/E9. I'd thought about going to Bb6 because the tuning looks so cool and useful, but I enjoy playing open-string stuff in E and A, so the half-step drop was not a realistic option

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 6:24 pm    

Hey Sonny, I. Reference to the other thread about Emmons basic C6, I made a comment that someone should step up to the plate that is a patient instructor and address some of the key points Buddy talks about in Basic C6. I don't think whoever owns copyrights on that material should mind any one of us using it as a standard teaching aide. In otherwords, offer video demonstrations to anyone who has purchased the course.

Somebody like Tommy White, Buck Reid... I mean for some players beginning to transition from e9 to c6 I can see the need for some specific coaching.

Doing the very same thing along the lines of your suggestions, where not only a direct transcription to E9/B6 but another version of it for Bb6, and add to it, some video snippets demonstrated by some good teachers.

I would think this could be a forum project. And cannot see why, in particular this would be in a way, a tribute to three extra special steel guitarists. Buddy for the straight ahead C6, Jeff Newman for the e9/b6 and Maurice Anderson for the Bb6.

Sort of like a compilation and tribute to the legacies those three monster players have left us all??

I mean I can see this being an honor to these great pioneers of the instrument.

Thoughts everyone?

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 6:50 pm    

I always found the strength of the universal tuning is that, if you read E9 tab from the top down and C6 tab from the bottom up it really is pretty easy to learn to sight read tab intended for 10 string E9 or C6.

Has worked for me since 1975, when there weren't any U12 courses.

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 8:41 pm    

I've been using E9 and C6 courses from the beginning to work on my Bb6 uni S12. After a while I've got to where I can just translate directly from the courses, except for some head scratching with certain E9 issues.

That being said, I think anything anyone feels like doing to make any type of universal tuning a little easier to learn can only help - thank you for your work!