The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rick Nelson, Tom Brumley and the Stone Canyon Band
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 6:04 am    

From “Desperados“ by John Einarson.

“Rick wanted out of that teen idol image so bad,” remarks steel guitarist Tom Brumley. “He wanted to move on to other things. That’s why he formed the Stone Canyon Band.” Brumley’s steel playing is superb, proving his ability to integrate his style into a rock format. Brumley is the instrumental star of the group.

“What got me back on the steel guitar was hearing Tom Brumley playing with Rick,” acknowledges Al Perkins. “He was the major steel guitarist that I liked. I didn’t know at the time that he had come from Buck’s band. That live album from the Troubadour turned everybody’s head.”

Nelson took to the road in support of the record, which enjoyed decent sales. “I didn’t want to go out on the road when Rick called me,” recall Brumley. “ I had a guitar company and couldn’t do that. We worked out a situation where we worked seventy or eighty days a year and I became a regular. With Buck it was working 250 to 300 days a year. I was just worn out. I didn’t think I’d ever be on the road again until Rick called me.”

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 8:51 am    

After I got that live album on 4/29 1971 (I wrote that on the album sleeve), I wanted to form a band exactly like that. Me singing and rhythm I found a guitar player who was able copy the leads of Allen Kemp and a rhythm section. Of course there was no steel. But I already loved Tom's sound!

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 10:48 am    

Joachim Kettner wrote:
After I got that live album on 4/29 1971 (I wrote that on the album sleeve), I wanted to form a band exactly like that. Me singing and rhythm I found a guitar player who was able copy the leads of Allen Kemp and a rhythm section.

Did you make any recordings of your group?

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 10:56 am    

No Frank, it was just a few rehearsals.