The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  British Steelie headed across the pond
Joseph Harvey-Whyte

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 5:02 am    

Hey there.

I'm heading over to the US for a month in March and looking for a little advice on where to head to check out some great steel guitar stores, gigs and jams.

My girlfriend and I land in New York and then plan to fly to Austin, rent a car and do a southern road trip over to New Orleans and Nashville. I'm immediately drawn to Nashville but I'm aware that unlike the UK there's steel all over the place.

Any recommendations of places to check out along the way would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I've been playing a Shobud Pro iii for the last couple of years which I love but I'm looking to pick up a U12 whilst I'm over. Any advice on where I might pick up one of those would be awesome too.

Thanks.
Joe.

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 6:47 am    

Well, if you arrive early enough in the month you can overdose on steel guitar with some of the top players in the nation on March 9-12 in Dallas at the Texas Steel
Guitar Jamboree.

http://www.texassteelguitar.org/jam.html

It would be about 2:45 hrs north of Austin but well worth the trip. 18 hours of steel a day and vendors galore!

This would be a DON'T MISS IT kinda thing. It's at the Sheraton DFW in Irving, TX. There may still be some rooms available nearby.

We have a lot of folks from the UK and worldwide come over just for this event.

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/

Ned Ramage

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 9:40 am    

When in Nashville there's Lower Broad(downtown) and the Nashville Palace out by Opryland Hotel. Both have a constant stream of live music.

But I would especially point out Monday nights at the Station Inn, Val Storey and New Monday w/Doug Jernigan or 3rd and Lindsley, the Time Jumpers w/Paul Franklin.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 9:03 pm    

Get in touch before you hit Austin. It's a great town. We can do a steel guitar hang.