The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amp question for blues lap steel
Paul Vassallo

Long Island New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 6:23 pm    

Does anybody know what type of amp would be good for blue's lap steel. Something in the $400.00 this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 6:45 pm    

I don't know if these are still available, right here in classifieds, but pretty good blues amps for the money

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=310477

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 7:05 pm     Re: Amp question for blues lap steel

Paul Vassallo wrote:
Does anybody know what type of amp would be good for blue's lap steel. Something in the $400.00 this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Paul, I would recommend a small tube amp. You may get lucky and find an old Silverface Champ or Vibro-Champ in your price range. In a more modern unit, I agree with Brooks that the Blues Jr and the Deluxe offer good bang for the buck. And don't overlook their little brother, the Pro Jr.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 12:33 am    

Vox VTX40

Its Awesome. For ALL genres plus has tubes and solid state and amp modelling.
Plus a digital interface on your computer as well where you can tweak settings.

Also has power management so rather than outputting at full power during bedroom practice you can reduce it.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 8:11 am    

Paul,

So far, all good suggestions.

Here's another. Blackstar ID-30TVP
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ID30Combo

Blackstar has this TVP technology that is great. They do their amp modeling differently too...in a way that I prefer over the amp modeling of Mustang or Vox. With the Mustang and Vox, they tell you an amp model(Fender Tweed, AC30, etc) but if you don't know what that amp model sounds like, you can get frustrated real easy. The Blackstar just cuts to the chase and gives you 2 Clean, 2 Crunch and 2 OD......along with 6 different tube emulations that are very good.

IMHO....all one needs is an excellent CLEAN amp platform and then add a pedal or amp gain to "dirty it up to taste". But, if you don't have the CLEAN amp part, you might be wasting your money on something. You can always "dirty" an amps sound but not "clean" up a "dirty" amp.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 8:48 am    

Moved from Steel Without Pedals to Electronics.

Please search this section of the SGF to find many previous discussions and recommendations.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 8:54 am    

I would try the Fender Blues Jr. amp.

Paul Vassallo

Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 3:17 pm    

I want to thank everyone for their input I wish I can spend a day with all these amps but that's not the case so I have to think on this . More input would be appreciated. Let's vote on this. I am not good at making decisions but you people make it easier. Thanks again

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 4:48 pm    

Something that I picked up due to positive feedback from many of the sages on this forum is a Sarno Steel Guitar Black Box tube buffer. It can really add some tube 'belly' to a solid state amp if you already have one. I have a half-dozen amps both tube and solid state, and it adds, although admittedly subtle, great tone. It costs almost as much as your amp budget, but if you already have a SS amp, it in conjunction with an overdrive pedal (if that's the sound you want), is really solid. I'd have to say that regardless of what amp I use for a gig, it really makes it good.
And for what it's worth, I have a collection of overdrive pedals that I, like a crack addict, purchase, thinking they are the answer. Some work better than others with certain amps, but, to my ears, the two that I go back to the most are the trusted Boss Blues Driver, and the Mad Professor Golden Cello. Lately it's been the Golden Cello the most. Until I change my mind again
Cool
Full disclosure: I've been blues gigging for many years, but in nothing but local-yokel no-account regional honky-tonk blues bands and weekend warrior bands. This site has players with incredible experience that can give you better solid advice.

Paul Vassallo

Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 6:29 pm    

Brooks thanks for that. I looked into that it's pretty costly. I have a gift certificate to guitar center and they have a Fender blues Junior used mint condition for 399 store pick up this sounds pretty good to me my question is should I get the warranty with it 12 months or 24 months.SGF your thoughts thanks.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 9:06 pm    

Paul Vassallo wrote:
Brooks thanks for that. I looked into that it's pretty costly. I have a gift certificate to guitar center and they have a Fender blues Junior used mint condition for 399 store pick up this sounds pretty good to me my question is should I get the warranty with it 12 months or 24 months.SGF your thoughts thanks.

I say go for it! You'll love it.
Edit: regarding warranty --I've never paid for one--most all my amps I've bought used from friends or pawn shops or whatever . Don't know what to tell 'bout that.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 9:37 pm    

I agree with Erv's suggestion

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 9:02 am    

Great minds think alike! Very Happy

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 9:25 am    

I'd go for something with 6V6 output tubes, like a Fender Princeton Reverb. To my ear, the 6V6 sounds bluesier than the EL84. You might be able to find a used one in your price range.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 1:59 am    

Just grab a Fender Blues Jr and be done with it already !
Rolling Eyes

Dial in your "grit" with the old school Master vs the Volume knobs.

For totally clean, Master at 100 % , dial in your total output volume with the VOLUME knob.

For "grit", set the VOLUME knob at 50% or more, use the MASTER knob for total output.

These amps sell all day in the $300 to $350 range USED.

Just keep in mind that these are NOT the same series as the HOT ROD series , no built in overdrive circuit, they are unique 15 WATT EL84 tube amps. No pedals needed, unless of course you decide to use one.

I carry two amps to each gig , N112 and the Blues Jr. for guitars. I carry NO pedals. I am now a card carrying member of the small guitar amp club, that being the Blues Jr. A very versatile amp with enough output for a typical gig , but not Shea Stadium though.

As Bob states, the 6V6 amps such as a P Reverb, have a slightly different "drive feel" but Fender didn't make those amps with the Master vs Volume knobs which is what brings the Blues Jr to life.

But don't overlook that your overall tone "style" is going to come from your right hand and bar technique, how you attack your strings, just like the Steel. No Magic wand !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Laurence Pangaro

Brooklyn, NY
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2017 4:41 am    

If you want to keep it small and cheap, you might try a Laney Cub 10. It's a cool little amp with 6V6 tubes like Bob just recommended. Laney is mostly known for metal amps, but many people find these to sound a bit on the "tweedy" side. Unfortunately if you move up to the Cub 12 it's back to EL84s.

LP

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 10:11 am    

Blues Jr

Karl Nutt

Fayette City, PA U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 4:09 pm    

I use a Fender Pro Junior. Did the Fromel mods (listed on eBay), installed the standby switch conversion, and use 5751 pre-amp tubes. I use Sovtek EL84's for outputs. I mic it live and have used it very successfully in the studio. I run the tone control around 2 and the volume between 10 and 12. Real nice "buttery" sound. I personally like the Pro Junior better than the Blues Junior. Just my 2 cents worth!

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 6:04 pm    

Agree with b0b. The princeton. But the Blues Jr is an amazing little amp. 15 watt daggum power house. I loved mine.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 8:20 pm    

Karl Nutt wrote:
I personally like the Pro Junior better than the Blues Junior.

I agree, especially for 6-string lap steel. And for blues too. (It's also a killer harp amp.)

I have both, and they're both good. It's easy to get a good sound from a Pro Junior with only two controls. The Blues Junior is a tad trickier to dial in.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2017 10:07 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:
Karl Nutt wrote:
I personally like the Pro Junior better than the Blues Junior.

I agree, especially for 6-string lap steel. And for blues too. (It's also a killer harp amp.)

I have both, and they're both good. It's easy to get a good sound from a Pro Junior with only two controls. The Blues Junior is a tad trickier to dial in.

For simplicity along with better cab/speaker, you can go with the Tonedog ProSenior upgrades:

http://www.tonedog.com/index.html

I have one of these. Pretty fantastic.

Nathan Burns

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 11:05 am    

I play a 68 Deluxe Princeton Reverb reissue that works for more bluesy stuff. They are a little costly new for what they are but I like mine. Not sure what the classified ads are like in your neck of the woods but here you can find Blue Juniors for about $400.00 (Canadian dollars) pretty regularly and they are a great choice, as well.

Rayco 6 string curly maple reso

Petingill Southern Belle through Fender 68 Princeton Reverb reissue.