The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My method for ensuring PSG practice.
Jordan Beyer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2017 2:58 pm    

Well this is a little bit different than I think you mean but I think this could help some beginners( like myself) do what I think a lot more acomplished pedal steel players do. ill give you an example, when I very first started play for the first real time ( after getting my technique and cordnation good) i starting trying to learn some fills and licks. So what I did was I found a whole lot of then and pratice them a good bit. But what happened was first, I could use them all in every song, and second it was honestly hard to remember them all and use them well. So what I did was this, i examined the lick or fill and watch to see where the OVERALL movement was going. By doing this I not only learned the different positions on the neck as well as learn where 'pockets' are. For instance being on a fret with AB,and going back two frets and activating the E lower. And I never saw it before because I was too busy looking at just the indivual notes and not the big picture. And after you learn that you create your own fills or licks by using the basic movements of the tab just with your twist or even something completely new. One more thing, it is a lot easier to use that and to just remember all the positions and movements, than to remember 18 different licks that all go over the same thing but you can only use one for your situation.
Hope that helps you guys, Jordan