The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Scott Grove - BEWARE of Buying his Lap Steel Guitar lessons
Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 4:30 am    

BEWARE HE IS NOT A Lap Steel Guitar TEACHER

Hey all I'm sure you all are aware of this guy selling Lap Steel Guitar lessons on ebay and has tons of views but I think its misleading, erroneous and downright hilarious.

I posted this because it may save a newbie from learning from this guy.

He is even using the tone bar upside down. LOL

Doesn't like fingerpicks as he "doesn't like the sound of them".

Uses C6th SIT strings that say non-pedal "because if you get pedal steel strings you are up a creek"

Man I could go on. For a taster video of the danger of what I'm saying he has this video on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLehcMAVeOI

I hope NO NEW Lap Steel Guitar PLAYER EVER BUY ANY OF HIS MATERIAL UNTIL HE LEARNS how to play.

I'll add hash tags at the bottom of this post so when people search for him it will lead them to this post and save them years of frustration.

I now get why Basil gets so angry with misinformation on Youtube channels etc.

#Scottgrove #groovymusic #Lap Steel Guitar
#scottgrove not a Lap Steel Guitar teacher
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 8:35 am    

I agree. I've never seen his lap steel instruction, but his pedal steel video is an absolute joke. He sits behind a pedal steel and talks for an hour, saying the same basic thing over and over, mostly misinformation, playing a couple of riffs... poorly, and bragging about how wonderful he is. His technique is awful and so is his demeanor. Youtube removed most of his promotional "free lesson" videos because of the many negative comments!

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 29 Dec 2016 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 8:53 am    

LOL Laughing

That is awesome Doug. I wish we could get his remaining steel guitar videos removed.

40,000 views.

Also that guy who says Lap Steel Guitars need intonation would be the second to go.

I told him join the Steel Guitar Forum.
You can search for it. I commented on it if you show ALL POSTS Newest first. He never replied.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 8:56 am    

Quote:
I told him join the Steel Guitar Forum.

No! Please... say it ain't so! Surprised

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 9:01 am    

Ah, but my personal favorite is the video where he is ranting about how "ignorant" people are, and how he has so much education. He then proceeds to "explain how to use 'these three words' to, too, two; there, their, they're; then and than."

Those are just three words, with different uses. Wow. I count 8 words, but I just barely got through high school.

He's obviously mentally ill, and I don't mean that as an insult or derisively. I'd avoid him if I were a new player.

I'd like to know how many guitars he owns...must be thousands, seriously.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 9:23 am    

Quote:
the video where he is ranting about how "ignorant" people are...

Yes, what a teacher! Cynical, negative, name calling. The rest of the world is wrong and he's right. He's like a character in a Saturday Night Live skit. He's also an excellent example of why some people should not be allowed to own a video camera.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 9:51 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Quote:
the video where he is ranting about how "ignorant" people are...

Yes, what a teacher! Cynical, negative, name calling. The rest of the world is wrong and he's right. He's like a character in a Saturday Night Live skit. He's also an excellent example of why some people should not be allowed to own a video camera.

Laughing

You guys come up with some of the best ribbing I've ever heard.

But all jokes aside he has tricked many potential players as if his conversion rate is only 10% that is a lot of potentially misguided people who will continue to perpetuate his misinformation.

On a separate note will anyone else from the forum please leave a comment as well encouraging others to join the forum and not listen to this guy. He is second on my list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3t_4lzj-ao

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 10:04 am    

He (Scott Grove) had some bizarre back-and-forth rants on a couple of the dobro forums a couple years ago. He is definitely a taco short of a combination plate.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 10:12 am    

straight from this guy's website who talks about intonation a Lap Steel Guitar .

"DVD#2 continues with more example performances and backing tracks. (Note that DVD#2 includes the end of DVD#1 s you don’t miss any example pieces!) including a slow Blues, an uptempo Rock/Blues, a typical Pop song structure with minor chords and a bridge, and a fast Western Swing in the Style of “Steeling Home”, that I call “Stealing Helmes”, in tribute to Don Helmes, the father of C6 lap steel guitar!"

Father os C6??????This is what I'm talking about. Fellow steelers we have some serious misconceptions out there.

I had someone come up to me again recently when I was rehearsing with a band and say "Can you play slide guitar like sea-sick steve"

I said why on earth would I do that?

I was told because "his slide guitar technique is so amazing and impressive. He's like the hendrix of slide guitar. Revolutionary!!!"

I was like WTF???? Oh BTW the guy was referring to his lap steel. With overdriven distortion, and sound. Playing a really muddy rubbish 1-4-5 over and over and over again.

Whether you like him or not its subjective. - However let's not fool ourselves his technique is anything great. Nor his chops. If I were to ask Tom Morrell, etc to play blues it would be 1 billion times more impressive.

I say this to say we as Steelers need to tag and correct these misconceptions out there one way or another. By gigging, recording and creating modern sounds or even approaching older standards just heck get some stuff out there before we get flooded by other rubbish players being passed off as great. Scott Grove etc

Consider that if half of his people that viewed his video followed his instruction there would be more misinformed players than informed ones..

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 10:55 am    

Scott Grove is an example of everything that is wrong about the Internet.

Seriously.

False information, coupled with self-aggrandizing comments that include disparaging other players and teachers far more proficient and knowledgeable than he. On his pedal steel lessons video he says something like "Paul Franklin is a good player, but can he teach?" He then goes on a litany of exaggerated self-praise.

He is literally playing on the ignorance of his audience and making money doing so. On any stringed instrument you might want to name, in fact.

The work of guys like him is more than disastrous for music education. It's tragic.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 10:58 am    

With today's smartphones anyone can record a "free lesson" video, and post it on Youtube, and get hundreds of thousands of views in a few weeks or months. Sometimes millions of view. Scott Grove had over 25 million views on his free (promotional) videos... and thousands of negative comments. So many negatives that Youtube deleted most of his videos. It's a shame that 100 years of steel guitar technique and study can be so dumbed down and broadcast worldwide by anyone. It's like de-evolution of our instrument.

PS I just saw your post, Herb. I agree 100%!

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 29 Dec 2016 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 10:59 am    

I watch Scott Grove sometimes just to see what happens. He is crazy.

Greg Booth

Anchorage, AK, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 11:26 am    

There was a long discussion of his dobro video on Resonation.org 5 yrs ago, it's pretty ridiculous. I recall watching a video where he attempts to explain his bizarre behavior by saying he's had brain problems and personality changes due to a brain injury I believe. What amazed me at the time when comments were still visible was all the supporters and defenders he had!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbGiORqT2Ao&context=C3f21131ADOEgsToPDskL...

According to him, he will give you "the first, last and only dobro lessons you will ever need", and he's not going to make you do "a bunch of JUNK with the finger picks and all that". (see picture) Just a flat pick. AND, "unlike pretty much everybody else out there, you're actually going to learn." Take that Troy! Not only that, but he's gonna make it "ungodly easy on you." Sign me up! Operators are standing by...

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 11:52 am    

That photo just about says it all about him, doesn't it?

I know he's discussing the finger picks issue, incidentally.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 12:54 pm    

So, if my understanding is correct, you folks don't like him?
Just curious.
Everyone has been a bit vague about their feelings so far.... Rolling Eyes
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 1:15 pm    

What a class act!

"you don't need no tablature, no notes, no nothing, I will show you every dang thing".

And watching him hammer that dobro with a guitar pick makes me cringe. Whoa!

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 29 Dec 2016 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Adam Tracksler

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 1:49 pm    

I'll admit to getting his lessons when I first started.

They were hard to follow, but started me in at least "a" direction.

Wasnt too much later that I got Jeff Newman's lessons.

You dont know sweet until you taste bitter.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 2:16 pm    

"On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog."

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 12:48 am    

Adam Tracksler wrote:
I'll admit to getting his lessons when I first started.

They were hard to follow, but started me in at least "a" direction.

Wasnt too much later that I got Jeff Newman's lessons.

You dont know sweet until you taste bitter.

Adam that took a lot of bravery so thanks for speaking out. Hopefully others like you will make their way to the Forum and get the right info.

However time is something that you can never replace. A bad teacher is merely wasting time.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 4:36 am    

Now I know who you guys are talking about. I ran across his guitar videos a few years ago - what rubbish. I would have to correct a lot of the stuff anyone learned from him, if they could learn anything at all.

Your collective comments are so accurate!

Nathan Laudenbach

Montana
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 7:13 am    

This guy is just one of billions of idiots on the internet. Seriously though, who gives a shit? I for one enjoy the fact that steel guitar is relatively unknown and kind of a lost art. The more people that are misinformed, the better I am!

If someone really wants to learn how to play steel guitar, they will find the right resources. The last thing I want to see is thousands of Youtube videos titled "eleven year old steel guitar prodigy".

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 7:54 am    

Nathan Laudenbach wrote:
This guy is just one of billions of idiots on the internet. Seriously though, who gives a shit? I for one enjoy the fact that steel guitar is relatively unknown and kind of a lost art. The more people that are misinformed, the better I am!

If someone really wants to learn how to play steel guitar, they will find the right resources. The last thing I want to see is thousands of Youtube videos titled "eleven year old steel guitar prodigy".

Laughing

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 8:20 am    

I don't think he's as dumb as he seems to be. He has a nice web site loaded with PayPal buttons, selling videos for $49.95 and packages for $135. He has videos for guitar, bass, uke, lap steel, pedal steel, keyboard, banjo, dulcimer, etc. His ignorant, "give a shit" attitude may appeal to some people... just play, no worries, no tablature, no notes, no picks, any bar, just do this, then do that. But there are thousands of complaints about him on line. He doesn't seem to care though. Either he's too dumb to care or he's crazy like a fox, laughing all the way to the bank. I do know this: he can't play the steel guitar, but he has no problem taking money from beginners and teaching them nothing.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 8:40 am    

He's not dumb at all; he's the worst type of huckster, like someone selling "lose 30 pounds in 2 weeks without dieting or exercise" programs.

He doesn't add value to the music community or the world... he only sucks wealth from it. He's not the only one doing so, just the most egregious one that I'm aware of.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 9:25 am    

There are a lot of different "schools" in terms of styles and disciplines in teaching music. In searching around on this site I realized that Scott Grove is an ardent follower of the Tyler Baum discipline of teaching and honed technique.

https://youtu.be/KFDbZh25eZE
Whoa!