The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  sho-bud pickup problems // NYC Pedal Steel Repair
John Bohannon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 12:30 am    

Hey folks!

Sorry for the relatively newbie post here. I'm a relative beginner at the pedal steel and bought my first pedal steel here on the forum earlier this year! However, my pickup on my sho-bud pro 1 3x2 has had some grounding issues. Any soldering / quick fix ideas you guys might have one these? Alternatively, if this isn't an easy fix, is there anybody based in the NYC area that might be able to fix it? I've found folks in jersey/CT, which I suppose I can resort to, but always easier to find someone here.

thanks for the guidance!

JB

Adam Pettis

Appleton, WI
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 8:22 am    

Hi John,
I gather you're getting a lot of hum? Does it change if you move the guitar?
I'm in Brooklyn and would be happy to give you a hand if need be.
Adam

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 10:24 am    

If you know any decent regular guitar techs, they should be able to handle this, you wouldn't need a steel tech. A Sho-Bud single neck has about the simplest wiring possible.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 10:31 am     Re: sho-bud pickup problems // NYC Pedal Steel Repair

John Bohannon wrote:

..... Any soldering / quick fix ideas you guys might have one these? ....

For simple stuff, first thing I'd look at is the output jack. See that there are no stray wires---frayed braids. Then I would loosen the jack and make sure that when tightened it is making good contact with clean metal of the body for a good ground.

Unfortunately I just moved from Brooklyn 2 months ago or else I'd be happy to help. Mike Nolan is a major Sho Bud presence (rebuilder etc.) in the NYC area (Queens). Find him here and he might be willing & able to help.

John Bohannon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 2:03 pm    

I believe its a ground issue because when I put my hand down the buzzing subsides but when I lift, its back again. When i barely touch the wires underneath, it goes a bit crazy, so I'm imagining something isn't wired up correctly. Thanks for the recommendations. Adam i'll PM you and i'll try and find Mike Nolan on here for some advice.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 4:59 pm    

John; it does sound like a wiring prob. with the grounding. Coming from the pickup underneath; there should be two wires; one Black and one White(on a original sho-bud pickup that does not have coil tap red wire). The Black of course is your ground and usually has a small splice of the shield off and ran under the raise spring bracket that is attached to the bottom of the guitar. Then the ground wire goes to the ground of the input jack. Is this happening?? if not and there is not a extra black wire running from the input jack to another point touching any part of the changer mounting; than the pickup is NOT grounded to the strings properly. So run a extra wire from the ground of the input jack to any point of the changer mechanism. Also Make sure a knee lever or stop mounting or whatever; is not touching the Positive part of the input jack.
Ok that is me explaining with NO pictures...ha... and if you do indeed have a 3-wire pickup or a tone knob and volume knob on the deck; than you have GOT to take pic of the underneath and I can tell you in 1 second exactly the prob. otherwise; good luck and if you want to send me a pick to email send> sshawaiian@austin.rr.com and I can fix it that way.
Ricky

mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 9:29 pm    

What Ricky said. If it isn't the ground wire, then the pickup could have issues. That said, NYC and single coil pickups isn't exactly a happy place. I do really love single coils, but all of my gig guitars have humbuckers. I know of at least a dozen venues in and around NYC that are impossible to play with single coils. And I mean impossible! I'm out of town until the 19th or so, but shoot me an email or PM via the forum and we'll get you sorted out.

John Bohannon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 12:54 am    

hey guys! was gone for a few days, ricky ill send you a pic and mike, I just pmed you. thanks for all of your help, awesome community of folks here! Smile