The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another Knee Lever Tuning Issue Not Returning- GFI universal
Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 7:36 pm    

Another Knee Lever Tuning Issue - GFI universal

I have a similar problem as the other knee lever post but on my E string (string 8 on gfi universal). When I raise LKL to an F with hex nut, it returns to a slightly sharped E.
I tried lowering with the hex nut until the E would not change. . Then with the LKL, I had to tighten the hex nut just about as many times as I just lowered it to get it back up to F. Then when releasing, it was back to a slightly sharped E. Back to where I started from.
Any other ideas?

Jim Robbins

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 8:01 pm    

I don't know GFI's but sounds like not enough travel when engaging the lever. Try moving the rod down a notch or two on the bell crank, then re-tune with the hex nut.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 9:11 pm    

Alternatively, back off the stop screw (it's in the knee lever bracket) a little to allow more travel. Your other E string(s) will then go sharp of the F when the lever is pressed, but you can re-tune the changes with the hex nuts.

This way you don't change the relative timing of the pulls.

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 4:40 pm    

I just read your post and will look into that.
In the meantime I contacted GFI.
What I did was to back off the nylon nuts of ALL THE PULLS FOR THE 8TH STRING (not just the one pull in question) until they didn't affect the open string pitch.
Then re-tuned the open string and turned the nylon nuts back in till they changed the string to their proper pitches. It helped. Still a twinge off. I may need a new string. And will also look into your suggestion of backing off the stop screw.

Thanks
K