The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Albert Lee 75 and still rocks
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 5:07 pm    

I went to the Narrows Center for the Arts and saw Albert Lee. Tore the place up! What a gentleman and great guitar player.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 5:28 pm    

Pretty cool Len. First heard him on the old Heads, Hands and Feet LP around '72 picking Country Boy.

Glad to know he's still going strong. Bet it was great to meet him.

Was he doing a solo act or with a group?

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 6:19 pm    

Great picture Len!
A little off topic, but a few months ago as I was passing by a spot near my hometown, I recognized a guy who's name is Chris Farlowe. He was there to play a concert the following evening. I got out of my car and asked for an autograph. And to make myself important I mentioned Albert, because I knew that he was his guitar player in the sixties.
You can clearly hear him here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK1uFer13i0

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 6:34 pm    

Couldn't agree more, Len. I was fortunate enough to have a front row seat at Tupelo Music Hall in NH several years ago when Albert did a mini-tour with fellow guitarslinger, John Jorgensen. They teamed up for a third set and swapped blazing solos...their version of Orange Blossom Special was virtuoso country guitar at its best.

Is that a CD you're holding, Len? Haven't seen that one before...

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 7:43 pm    

Jerry, Albert was playing with his own band. Keyboard, bass and drums. Albert Also played keyboard and sang some very soulful songs by Jimmy Web.

The CD was a two box set he brought from England. He autographed it for me 👍

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 8:30 pm    

He's my favorite guitar player. Here he is in a clip - no EFX, no distortion, no crunch, no overdrive, and (probably best of all) no Tele!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PscAZyOMGiA

Enjoy Mr. Green

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 11:01 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
He's my favorite guitar player. Here he is in a clip - no EFX, no distortion, no crunch, no overdrive, and (probably best of all) no Tele!

Enjoy Mr. Green
(emphasis added)

Geez, Donny, given Forum history, it probably seems like I make a point of disagreeing with you about everything. Actually, I think you're a valuable, positive presence here on the Forum, and agree with most of what you say. Really!

But here: yes, I disagree! There's a certain "aggressiveness", for want of a better term (I might consider "gnarliness"), that Albert had when he played a Tele (bridge pickup, of course) that, IMHO, elevated his playing even beyond the superb level shown in your clip. I know this flies in the face of your "equipment makes no difference" philosophy, but I feel it's true.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 5:48 pm    

Brint Hannay wrote:

Geez, Donny, given Forum history, it probably seems like I make a point of disagreeing with you about everything. Actually, I think you're a valuable, positive presence here on the Forum, and agree with most of what you say. Really!

Thank you, Brint, that was very kind of you to say (though you may have done significant damage to your credibility here just by saying it). Laughing

Quote:

But here: yes, I disagree! There's a certain "aggressiveness", for want of a better term (I might consider "gnarliness"), that Albert had when he played a Tele (bridge pickup, of course) that, IMHO, elevated his playing even beyond the superb level shown in your clip. I know this flies in the face of your "equipment makes no difference" philosophy, but I feel it's true.

Brint, it's true I think that in the real world, equipment makes little or no difference. But I also realize that in the mind of the player, it can make immeasurable difference. After all, perception is 90% of reality. Truth, for most people, is whatever they already believe.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 7:05 pm    

Brint Hannay wrote:
Donny Hinson wrote:

Enjoy Mr. Green
(emphasis added)

Me too Brint. Seems the EB guitars just lose something with his picking style.
Something I've observed over the years. Just my opinion though, and you know what they say about that.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 6:42 am    

Albert has never had the"Luxury Liner"sound since he quit the Telecaster.