The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Donation needed for Harvey Shapiro stolen pedal steel replac
Bob Williams

Melbourne Beach FL & Byram NJ
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2016 7:54 pm    

Please help Harvey Shapiro replace his pedal steel and amp.

Best link to freefunder is: http://ffnd.co/7rEq9T

https://www.freefunder.com/campaign/Harvey-Shapiro-needs-Pedal-Steel-

I'm a fellow pedal steel player. I'm writing on behalf of my friend Harvey Shapiro, also known as Harvey Sharp. This is my idea and he didn't ask me to do it. He is originally from Long Island New York and he had his pedal steel and amp stolen in Las Vegas 18 months ago. He now resides in Vegas. He has no money to replace them. He is a professional musician and surviving on a social security check. He played pedal steel his entire adult life -- Broadway Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and New York State Dixie Dough Boys. Harvey is lost without his music --which is his passion. Any amount will assist.

My brother and I were very impressed when we were just starting to play pedal steel and we saw Harvey give a workshop in Huntington Long Island at the stagecoach Inn. He was open and sharing of ideas and at the time talking about an equalizer box which was attached to the leg of his guitar and how he would adjust it depending on the room. My brother and I would occasionally bring up his name years later and say we wonder what Harvey Shapiro was doing -- so his name lived on. I thought why not return the kindness that he shared many years ago and try to help him with a passion for steel guitar that we share Thank you. Please share this site with your friends.

Last edited by Bob Williams on 24 Dec 2016 3:07 pm; edited 3 times in total

Bob Williams

Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 7:28 am    

I received this from a member today
Harvey was always a real good guy and brother at the North East Pedal Steel Assoc. He was able to make a living playing music because he turned himself into a top tier player. As fellow players I believe that we can agree that playing music is a terrific advocation but a insecure profession. Harvey has lost tools that take a lifetime to accumulate and incredibly difficult to replace. God bless you Harvey and hopefully you will soon be back in the game. John Ciano

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 8:54 am    

He also played some great stuff on Steve Forberts second album.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Bob Williams

Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 10:41 am    

Thanks Craig. I'd like to hear that album.

I want to thank so far the contributors Amanda Losonsky, John Ciano, Brian Dugan, Frances Losonsky. Every dollar counts and it doesn't matter how much whether its $1, $5, $10, $20 .... There are over 16000 of us. Please show Harvey that we can all come together and help a steel brother in need. He's worth it. It would so help his spirit to ait behind a steel again. Please give and show him you care and remember him. I hope next year Harvey attends the annual Conn steel show and plays again for us.

Neil Flanz

Austin, Texas (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 2:37 pm    

I was sorry to hear about Harvey's guitar having been stolen. I first met him in New York City during the Gram Parsons tour in 1973 and got to spend some time with him when he later visited Nashville. I hope that he gets back to playing steel again.

Neil

Bob Williams

Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 3:05 pm    

http://ffnd.co/7rEq9T

Thanks Neil Flanz for your donation. The best link to freefunder.com I just found is:
http://ffnd.co/7rEq9T.

Harvey told me you were a big help and influence to him when he started. This is what Harvey said about Neil:

" i had good influences. my first 'real pro' steel player that i met
was Neil Flanz. Max's Kansas City with Gram Parsons, early 70's. I stayed till show's end, he was packing up his own gear (no roadies?),
i asked him what his knee levers did. he said something like 'they change the pitch of some of the strings'. i said, 'i got that, i have a steel. but what strings, what notes, 'the changes'?'.
we spoke till 5am when he had to get on the bus. he was open, sharing giving, invited me to Nashville to visit. told me about his then-very-rare custom 'dobro box' floor pedal. no secrets.

my first steel was from Manny's Music. an Emmons single neck single body E9. 6 floor pedals, no knees.
i never did very much with it.....it sat.
Neil said 'we gotta get you outta that', and i soon after visited him in Nashville. he brought me to Sho-Bud (on Broadway), i met Shot Jackson, Duane Marrs. had a custom single neck built, gorgeous
birds-eye warm brown stain, 3 x 4. wonderful. he took me around to Deeman's Den, a rough bar with kickass music."

Merry Christmas Neil.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 4:28 pm    

Bob, Its actually Steve's first album 'Alive on Arrival' and here is one of my favorites that Harvey played on, 'Going down to Laurel'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2CI1al6qcs

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Bob Williams

Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 9:12 pm    

Thank you Craig. Hopefully there will be more recordings in Harvey's future.

Bob Williams

Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 6:11 am    

the stolen steel info from Harvey in case any of you see in pawn shop or on eBay...:

D-10 Emmons, purchased spring '78 at Manny's Music, #1870D, 8x4, matte Rosewood Formica, True-Tone pickups. one leg sits askew- it stripped its threads, was re-drilled
but at a slightly-off angle. (and there's a small possibility the s/n is #1970D, but i'm pretty sure #1870D)

Bob Williams

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 5:29 pm    

Please see the following:

http://ffnd.co/7rEq9T

Harvey could surely use your help

I understand many of you have not had the pleasure of meeting Harvey.
If we can get Steel players just to donate only FIVE DOLLARS
$5 maximum nothing more then Harvey can reach his goal and have a great 2017
playing pedal steel again.

I want to thank the players who went above and beyond and donated and said nice things about Harvey like Fooch Fischetti, Neil Flanz, John Ciano, Bruce Lang, Brian Costello Clayton. Happy new year to everyone and wishing you a lot of fun picking in 2017.

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 9:54 pm    

I would gladly donate to this but don't feel comfortable giving my credit card details , can we give with paypal ?

Bob Williams

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 11:07 pm    

Hello Brendan and happy new year

The freefunder site defaults into Stripe as the payment processor. PayPal from what I read on its site only processes with qualified 501(c)(3) charties and nonprofit organizations and businesses.

This is what I found about Stripe processing with stronger Security.

Security

Both Stripe and PayPal take security seriously. At the core, they're both very stable and secure platforms. Let's talk about how they're different, and how Stripe intrinsically encourages good security.

Stripe's killer feature when they first launched was Stripe.js. When you use Stripe.js on your website, the credit card data entered into your payment form is never sent to your server. Instead, the data is sent directly to Stripe. Why is this so important?

Automatically PCI compliant because you don't handle any sensitive credit card data on your servers.
More secure because a breach of your servers won't result in any stolen credit card data.
You're not tempted to store credit card data on your servers, which you really shouldn't be doing unless you're a big business and want to pay for PCI compliance.
If you follow the normal flow with Stripe, you'll just automatically store your cards in their vault. You'll never touch the sensitive data. This encourages good security.

PayPal now has a way to store cards in a vault, but it isn't quite the same as Stripe.js. The sensitive card data has to go through your servers, and this puts a big security burden (see PCI compliance above) on the software developer or the customer who has installed the software.

In summary, Stripe.js encourages good developer security practices, while PayPal gives developers room to make bad decisions. They've recently taken steps to provide better options, but these options still aren't as secure as Stripe.js.

I could collect checks payable to Harvey Shapiro. Mailed to c/o Robert Williams 90 Washington Valley Road, Bedminster, NJ 07921. Thank you.

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 4:46 pm    

Bob,
Could you please email me.
Thanks

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 7:08 pm    

Hopefully enough people will donate to help Harvey get a new steel. i met him in the eighties then lost track of him. He was a great player then.

Happy 2017!

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 7:09 pm    

Hopefully enough people will donate to help Harvey get a new steel.

Bob Williams

Post  Posted 3 Jan 2017 10:39 pm    

Thank you Bruce for your posting and generous contribution.

Afterwards late last evening I was advised BREAKING NEWS that Harvey's Emmons pedal steel guitar has been located based on the description posted above. We are pleasantly in shock but feel bad that there was another victim involved who purchased without knowledge of the theft. The Amp is still missing. This message is being re sent now because the earlier posting apparently did not post. Later today details and a statement will be posted.

Bob Williams

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 5:54 pm     Recovery of guitar

Yes it's true Harvey's stolen guitar has been located. A forum member who did not know that it was stolen innocently bought in it on eBay in March 2016. At the time the guitar needed repairs to broken tuning pegs, fretboard, among other things, so the final price of $2500 seemed reasonable. Once the member saw the stolen description posted on the forum website he immediately contacted me and I put him in touch with Harvey. The forum member did the honest and honorable thing. I have known this member for over 40 years and he's always been a gentleman as well as an excellent pedal steel player so it was not a shock to me. His name is Jack Stanton and many of you have seen his postings. He is getting the guitar back to Harvey.
Harvey is in shock that he'll be back to playing his own pedal steel again in 2017. Harvey wants to thank all of you who made donations, sent positive thoughts, well wishes, and assisted in the recovery of his guitar. At this time there are monies in the fundraising fund for Harvey to replace the stolen amp. But Harvey feels bad for Jack. He's happy just getting his guitar back and asked me if donations could go to help Jack if he is not successful in his claims against third parties. Only the donators can make that decision. Please private email your response to this request.

The bad news is that Jack may not be able to recoup is $2500. EBay has a six-month limitation on claims and Vegas area police were not interested in processing a police report from Harvey at the time. More info will follow. I'm helping Jack try to recoup his money and exhaust his remedies against his seller and eBay. As it turns out Jack may take a $2500 big hit.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 6:59 pm    

Wow. Well, that is a good news-bad news story. I was about to donate to Harvey but would be happy to send Jack some $ to help ease the pain. Jack, let us know how and where we can do that. One honest Fo'Bro shouldn't have to bear alone the untoward consequence of this good deed...

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 8:07 pm    

Thanks, Jimbeaux.
I appreciate the thought, and as embarrassed as I am at the thought of taking your money, that may be something I might take you up on down the road. Let's give it a day or two to speak with the police and circle back to eBay to see what they may or may not due. Bob Williams has kindly offered apply his legal knowledge to do what he can.
All depends on how big as ass whooping I'm gonna get on this one..

Russell Powell

New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 6:28 am    

Under the category of “you can’t make this stuff up” I followed in amazement how this thread has unfolded. When you consider the number of years between Harvey’s purchase of the guitar and the distances both the guitar and Harvey have traveled and the circumstances of late- it’s all too unreal. Jack’s offer to return the guitar is no surprise to me, as he has been a good friend for longer than I want to say.
I can flashback to forty years ago and Jack and I were watching Harvey play that guitar at O’Lunney’s in NYC. I didn’t know Harvey well then but he was always an approachable guy who shared his knowledge and chops with a lot of us. As I remember it, Harvey made the jump to light speed in terms of pro steel playing at the time.
I give a ton of credit to Jack for not only stepping up and returning the guitar which is a truly honorable thing to do, but also for being so on top of the Forum threads and his own equipment to even put two and two together. The guys on the Forum who have heard Jack play, know that he is a killer, dedicated player and I suspect that Harvey’s guitar sounded pretty damn good in his hands…
I am totally on board with Jim and would also like to donate some $ to Jack as soon as he and Bob figure out if there will be any money forthcoming from EBay or PayPal. I encourage anyone who can put themselves in Harvey’s shoes to donate as well.
Here’s to hearing some good news!

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 2:26 pm    

I commend Jack immensely for returning the guitar. But, he's just that type of guy, bravo!
However, isn't there a paper trail or electronic trail to the sale of this steel? Surely it didn't come from out of nowhere to be sold. There has to be an originator to the sale, which, probably is the thief. Nobody should be out any money after it's all backtracked.

Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 5:48 pm     address needed

Jack Stanton, Please provide an adress so we can mail you some money..if everybody gives a $5 or a $10 that will go a long way so you can get another Steel.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 5:15 am    

Jack Stanton wrote:
All depends on how big as ass whooping I'm gonna get on this one..

Doing the right thing shouldn't hurt. I think Jack has paid his dues as an outstanding forum member.
I'm down for five bucks; that would need only 500 members, a goal that I think is possible.

Jack, if you take Paypal, and can do it without feeling like you're soliciting funds, consider posting that edress or emailing
those who request it, with an address for checks. We're soliciting you to let us help. Good on ya.

Bob Williams

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2017 8:19 pm     Harvey Shapiro & Jack Stanton -- happy ending status report

NEWS BREAK!!!
Ok i just heard today from Jack Stanton that eBay fully reimbursed him the $2500 purchase monies. Both Harvey and Jack had been gathering police reports and waiting for paperwork. This result is fantastic. Harvey will soon get his guitar back and he will be picking once again. Police in NJ and Nevada will soon authorize the release of the guitar. Vegas police have promised to find the thief or thieves. The funds raised will be applied at Harvey's direction. Monies will be applied to pay for shipping of the guitar so Jack is not out of pocket.

The fund raiser also included getting Harvey a replacement of his stoken amp. If that was not clear to any contributors and they were only involved for getting a replacement guitar then send me a private email asap and we will refund any requests. We appreciate all those who donated and want everyone to feel good about what was accomplished and the results. Otherwise within a reasonable time hereafter the funds will be released to Harvey so he can replace his amp and start gigging again. Thanks again. Bob Williams.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2017 7:18 am    

What a marvelous result. My admiration goes to Jack for doing the right thing and to everyone who has helped in the process.