The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any other Tony Mottola fans out there ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2016 9:06 am    

I love chord melody guitar playing and I would have to say Tony is just about my favorite of all time in that category. Back in the 60s when I first started learning to play the guitar, I could hear a sound once in a while on the radio that I really liked but didnt know what to call it...but I knew thats the style I wanted to learn. A fellow teacher at the music store where I was teaching guitar told me to listen to Johnny Smith and I did and yep that was it. Chord melody style, but Johnny played more in the jazz style and with improvisation. I think I own a copy of every Johnny Smith recording he ever made. Tonys playing I discovered a little later and it was pretty straight chord melody playing of the standards, with not much improv...I guess Tony isnt really considered a jazz guitarist but his styling was so unique...you could tell in 3 notes it was him ! They used to pipe his music into the department stores back in the 70s and it always brought a smile to my face when I recognized his playing. I still listen to him a lot and still enjoy playing chord melody arrangements of standards on the guitar...in the last few years I have started doing that on E9th steel...previously I had always tried them on C6th but I am finding you can do a lot on E9th...different sound, but still nice and fun to play ! BTW, that is due in large part to Erv Niehaus and his tabs and Doug Beaumier and his 60 songs in his book as well.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2016 10:56 am    

Tony Mottola was born and grew up in my hometown of Kearny, NJ. So many great guitarists were from the Newark area back in the 20s and 30s.

Check out the duet recordings with Carl Kress from the 40s. Such great guitar music.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2016 11:45 am    

I was interested in his ex-sister in law.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2016 11:58 am    

Tony Mottola's LP "Guitar, Paris" was hugely influential on my early musical development after I found it at a flea market around age 13 ... simple playing but delivered with exceptional tone and authority plus that great bachelor-pad-era engineering with flutes, strings and accordions galore.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2016 7:31 pm    

I am a TM fan. I have a couple of his albums and used to hear him a lot on easy listening stations. I have one of his Christmas album I listen to every year.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2016 10:23 pm    

Probably nobody else would have been a better call than Tony Mottola for the Burl Ives records like Froggy Went A-Courtin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXhO0fitW7A

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2016 6:51 am    

Thanks for the responses guys ! I had no idea that was Tony on the Burl Ives recording...pretty cool...I am more familiar with Tony's electric guitar sound.

Also I will definately have to check out the duet with Carl Kress...I have a recording of Carl with George Barnes, but I wasnt aware of the one with Tony and Carl.

Thanks everyone...enjoy reading the responses...that is very cool Mike, that he was born in your hometown !

I did a google on TM and read what they had to say about him on wikipedia, and realized I dont know as much about as I thought I did ! He really did a lot of recordings that I dont have.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp