The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Should I Tab or not?
Tommy Dodd

Acworth, Ga., USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 12:54 pm    

I have been asked many times about having tab for some of my recordings. And, being the lazy person I am, I have always said "someday, maybe". Well, I think someday is approaching and I'm contemplating tabbing out some tunes. Of course, trying to select the right songs is a big question. But another question I pose to you forumite "tabbers" is "how important would it be to provide the notation of the song as well?" Also, is the formal notation worth some extra value if I decide to sell the tab? There is certainly more work/time involved in providing both, but I wonder just how important it would be to most of the many pickers' that use tab for learning songs.

I thank you for your time to consider, and your opinions.

tommyd

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 1:01 pm    

Tommy If you do decide to tab songs; as far as "notation", I think just having the chord signature of each section/bar..etc. is enough and fine, Like my example below>
Tab:

toocold2Too Cold At Home / Steel Turnaround / E9th / Key of D / 1990

D                                                        G 
3|________________________________________________________|___________
4|________________________________________________________|__10---12__
5|__________3_________3A__________5A-----10__10--10A__12A_|__10A--12__
6|____________________________________5--10__10--10B__12B_|___________
7|________________________________________________________|___________
8|__2L--3L_____3L--3______3--5____________________________|___________
9|________________________________________________________|___________

D
2_________________|___________________________________________
3_________________|___________________________________________
4__10--10_________|____________________________________17_____
5__10--10A___10A__|__10--10A___10A--13A--17A1/2--17A___17A____
6____________10B__|__10--10____10---13---17------17B__________
7_________________|___________________________________________

A                                   D
2|___________________________________|________________________________
3|__16--17--15--15___12B1/2--12B--8__|__5B--5B--5B___5B--5B___5B--10__
4|___________________________________|__5---5---5____5---5____5---10__
5|__16--17--15--15A__12A1/2--12A--8__|__5---5A--5____5---5A___5A--10__
6|___________________________________|________________________________

G
2_____________________|
3__10------15B--15____|
4__10------15C--15____|
5__10------15C--15____|
6______11--15B--15____|
7_____________________|

Anything more; to me is going beyond the main inquiry of learning the steel parts; but anything less ONLY teaches the steel playing. So having the chord signature, shows the chord they are playing the steel over and gives a guitar player the chord of that particular section that are playing/accompaniment to.
Ricky

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 2:18 pm    

You should definitely put out some tab, Tommy - you've got some great tunes that would be worth learning. I agree with Ricky...especially if the "user" has a copy of the recording to follow along with, the chords and basic tab should be sufficient. Here's a page of a tune I tabbed with Tommy Detamore (handwritten and not as fancy as Ricky's) that folks seem to be ok with.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 2:49 pm    

For me, as a perpetual newbie, nothing is more helpful for learning a song than tab and a link to the song (or the solo only, if need be) so I can hear it. I can work through a piece of tab in about 1/4 the time it takes to learn the same thing from a teaching video - probably the opposite of most in that regard, but that's how it is. Tab without a sample of the song - well, then you need to somehow show the beats, and that can work, but I think is less "helpful". So, I would certainly encourage you to post some tab and please include a link to the song/solo.

Just my thoughts,

Doug

Tom Voessing

Germany
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2016 8:30 am    

Hello Tommy,
I am a newbiee too. When I tab material it is just for my own usage - so I am not what you call a "forumite tabber" but I still feel invited to share my opinion.
When I study tablature I am always thankful when it also includes standard notation. The reason is that many tabs do not show the note values (e.g. is a note a full note, part of a triplet..? etc.). With precise tabs the advantage is that I do not always have to switch between my steel guitar and my computer, simply because the tab says almost all. This does not mean at all that listening to the song is not necessary anymore but it's comfortabe and helps a lot. I use TablEdit. While I type in tablature the software generates standard notation synchronously; this means there is no extra work to be done.

Regards
Tom

Danny Sherbon

San Angelo, TX
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2016 10:31 am     Tabs

Looking forward to having some great Tommy Dodd tabs available.

Steve Geis

Fayetteville, GA USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2016 12:09 pm    

YES, Tommy!

* You have some great tunes! Most all my students (of which I have very few right now) want tab. The tab I do is very, very basic and I encourage the student to create/express his own ideas, etc.

* Notation is not critical except for timing & note values and is only of value to those who can actually read music. Some like it but I don't think there is that much demand for it. People don't avoid tab just because it doesn't have notation.

* There is a lot of free tab out there & we are all very grateful for those that do publish free tab. But there is nothing wrong with making tabs a profit center. If I want the tab, I will pay for it. Free audio is great, but why dilute your CD sales with free audio!? I had to buy your CD, so I don't want you to give it away free to someone else?!!?

My thoughts; hope it helps. Whatever you come up with, I'm excited about it!!!!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2016 1:40 pm    

Tom Voessing wrote:
When I study tablature I am always thankful when it also includes standard notation. The reason is that many tabs do not show the note values. I use TablEdit. While I type in tablature the software generates standard notation synchronously; this means there is no extra work to be done.

In fairness, tab is mostly written by people who already know the song for people who already know the song, so it's how to play, not what to play. But if I want to learn a new number just from tab I find it frustrating not to have the dots when it's so easy to do.

Steve Geis wrote:
Notation is not critical except for timing & note values and is only of value to those who can actually read music.

Timing and note values are just as critical as the melody, which is the first thing that notation gives us. Being able to read music is not an accident of birth. To learn it to the level we're talking about here - a single line and basic note values - is a lot easier than (for instance) learning pedal steel.*

Regardless of what I've said Ricky's right that the chords are important to show the structure of the song.

[*We are all used to graphs nowadays, and music notation is just a graph developed by monks hundreds of years ago when writing materials were expensive, hence its conciseness].

Last edited by Ian Rae on 18 Dec 2016 4:03 pm; edited 3 times in total

Fred Amendola

Lancaster, Pa.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2016 2:57 pm     TablEdit

If you dive into TablEdit, around $50, as you enter the tab in the timing grid, the standard notation is produced automatically, at the same time. Then you can decide whether or not to include in the printouts.

The Tabs I did for Buck Reid's CD were done in this manner.

Questions, let me know.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2016 3:59 pm    

Or you can have Fred do the tab for you, Tommy...his complete tab for Buck and John Hughey is outstanding! Smile

Gale Huey

Frisco, Texas USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2016 8:22 pm     TommyD tab

Do it Tommy, I'll buy it/we'll buy it, It's gonna be great .
See you in March

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2016 7:10 am    

Tommy I think I have all of your cds and listen to them a lot ! Anything you do is first rate and your arrangements and song selection is always great ! I agree with what Ricky Davis said,,,the chords would be helpful and if you have the recordings, thats all a person should need. I would buy them for sure !!! Please do it for the steel community Smile
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2017 12:16 pm    

I'll second all the "yes" ones....

Edited to add: Would you start with "The Wind Beneath My Strings"? That is one awesome CD! Thank you for your consideration.