The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Popular Weissenborn tunings & their string gauges
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 8:32 am    

I am currently resurrecting a circa 1922 Style 1 that's labeled "Maui Maid." It's been in storage since the 1980s. I have finally located its original tuners and bridge pins; just need to cut a new nut and it'll be ready to string up. Here is a link to a previous post on this instrument:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=265246&highlight=maui+maid

What tuning(s) are most popular with you Weissenborn fanatics, and what type and gauge strings would you recommend? I use a stainless Latch Lake (aka Broz-O-Phonic) bar. I tune my tri-cone to high-bass A, and my 6-string lap steels to C6 and A6 (both with Es on top), and E6 (with a G# on top).

What would really toot my whistle is a set gauged appropriately for multiple tunings, and especially at least one "6th" tuning.

Suggestions? Comments? Anything unusual to be aware of?

Mark Evans

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 10:59 am    

John Pearse makes sets for Weissenborn. I use them exclusively - although I have tried some others.

On my Pogrebas, I use a set with a .060 as the low string and something like a .015 as the high (3160L)
http://www.juststrings.com/johnpearsehawaiianlapsteelguitar.html

The older Weissenborns might benefit by having slightly lighter strings due to their age - BUT... you will get a better sound with slightly heavier strings, and they won't sag under the steel.

I play in C (on my baritone) and in D and G on the standard scale (open E on my short scale). Then there easy to reach variants (D/Gminor and unison tunings. C6 - which is a popular hawaiian tuning, will require much lighter strings. I prefer the bluesy element of open G/D

I also prefer to use a tone bar (vs a bullet)

I'm sure some owners of vintage weiss's will chime in

MArk E in MAdison (we have snow!)
2017 Richard Wilson Style 1 Weissenborn

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2016 10:09 am    

Thank you, Mark. That's precisely the information I was looking for. I have the new bone nut roughed out and I'm chompin' at the bit to string up this old relic; all I'm waiting on is a proper set of strings so I can fine tune and finish the new nut.

Do you use that Pearse 3160L set for both D and (low bass) G tunings? Seems that an .060 pitched at low D on a 25-inch scale may be somewhat on the taut side. I'm trying to avoid the installation of too heavy a string set on this 90-plus year-old instrument. I would hate to suffer an implosion/explosion. Not to mention the heartbreak of witnessing bits and pieces of flying koa orbiting my work room.

p.s. We had snow last week, but it was gone after a couple of days. After most of six decades in the frozen tundra, I'm diggin' the 50-plus degree days and sunshine of the upper Rio Grande valley, that's for sure.

Mark Evans

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2016 10:39 am    

Jack:

I reckon starting with lighter strings can't hurt.
3140 and 3120 have low strings at 54 and 56.
Somewhere there is a string tension calculator. I've used this. Also somewhere (possibly at Resohangout.com) there is info on suggested total tension (something like 160 # or so). of course these are just starting points. Even with the .060 on the bottom, for standard open G and D, I was well below the threshold. Of course mine are not as old as yours.
Keep digging around, google, etc.

I'm sure that devil will sound awesome when strung up!
Mark
2017 Richard Wilson Style 1 Weissenborn

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2016 1:33 pm    

Mark Evans wrote:
I'm sure that devil will sound awesome when strung up!

It sure does, Mark. I finished the nut and installed a hodge-podge set of ancient but never used strings (GHS, DeAngelico, Sho-Bud, Emmons) that are as close to the correct gauge as I had on the premises, and it sounds fantastic. Much better than with the wooden nut it came with. I have new strings on order, and can't wait to install them. I can't walk through the room and look at it sitting on the stand without running my thumb over the strings... it just sounds sooo nice...