The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Converting a Peavey Session 500 combo into a Head and Cab
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2016 5:48 pm    

I just found a Session (hernia) 500 online for dirt cheap so I figured I would buy it and If the weight is too much (I live on third floor Oh Well ) I will separate the Amp and Speaker.
Has anybody done this already? I am sure It is a project I can handle but would like to see what you guys have come up with.
I am also curious about the Reverb tank. Would it be better mounted in the Cab and then just plug it into the amp or would you keep it with the head? I figured splitting them would help quiet down the amp some if noise is an issue..
Any help is appreciated. Thank you all so much!
Jeff

Murray McDowall

Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2016 7:10 pm     Session 500 Split Cabinet

Hi Jeff, been there done that!
I used 1/2" ply for the head cab. The reverb tank works OK in the head cab, just experiment a bit with it to get the minimum of hum.
You will finish up with a head that weighs about 42 lbs, and a speaker cab (original) at about 57 lbs.
Make sure you keep the two chassis' separated by a small amount, if they are touching you will get an earth loop hum problem.
Pictures before covering....Good luck!

Regards,
Murray.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 5:41 am    

Jeff, Rick Johnson does this sort of thing ALL DAY LONG... I had him make a couple of Cabinets for me and can vouch for his superior quality and attention to detail... You can see some of his work here on his website... I know there’s at least on of a Nashville 400 that he split... it’s beautiful... And he’s a super guy to deal with as well.

http://rickjohnsoncabinets.com
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 8:58 am    

Rick is the man!!!

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 10:38 am    

On several different amps I've found that mounting the reverb unit vertically, like on a Dual Showman Reverb head, significantly reduces the hum. You may want to buy a reverb unit designed for vertical mounting, but it's not absolutely necessary. They are not expensive.

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 1:34 pm    

They are heavy, Man! I have an anvil case for mine.
Back when I was using it I would just roll it in place, and take the road case cover off. I had a bandmate helped me to load and unload it from the truck. Mine weighs a little more as I have a JBL E130 in it. A backbreaker for sure.
Lefty

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 10:07 am     Comparisons Sake

Just in case there are some forumites that Never got to see a side by side comparison of the SESSION 500 and NASHVILLE 400
Here ya be!

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 10:14 am    

Jeff, looking forward to your results. How do you like the sound of the Session 500 compared to your NV 400?

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 11:00 am    

I like the sound of the session better. both sound great but the session has a little more Growl and seems to be a little more alive.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 11:17 am    

I used a Session 500 for almost 15 years (had one of the original "small cabinet" models). Before that a Twin Reverb so my right arm is longer than my left (LOL).

I've had other Peavey steel amps including a Nashville 400 (factory modded), a Nashville 1000 and Nashville 112. I've always considered the Session 500 the best Peavey steel amp.