The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Unplayable old TABS?
David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2016 6:55 am    

I have a question about some of the old TAB arrangements for steel guitar that I have come across.

Although most of the arrangements in these older books are very playable, I have a few doubts about some others.

Like, did a guy just sit down with a lap steel fingering chart and imagine something that looks like it could be played but really can't?

For example, in a book of Ray Kinney's Hawaiian Songs with arrangements by "John Martell", there is a version of "On The Beach at Waikiki" for Hawaiian guitar in A low bass and for regular guitar.

I question the real playability of a few passages. I'll try to scan them later but for now:

On an F#7 chord, the arranger wants you to hold a half note F# on string 1 and also play an open 2nd string C# AND a 3rd string 1st fret A#.

How can you do that? Sure you can slant the bar to get the A# and the F#, that's easy - but getting an open string to sound in the middle of the slant?

Then there's a passage with a B7 chord, where you are supposed to hold a half note 1st string 9th fret C# and hit a 2nd fret F# on the same string while the C# is still sounding?

There are many more examples of this sort of sloppy arranging.

Have you guys also run into this?

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2016 7:54 am    

In the early days of steel guitar, some music publishers would have their "in house" guitar instructors write the steel guitar instruction books. A writer may have played and taught guitar, bass, uke, Hawaiian guitar, etc. In other words, they were not always expert steel guitarists.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2016 7:57 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
In the early days of steel guitar, some music publishers would have their "in house" guitar instructors write the steel guitar instruction books. A writer may have played and taught guitar, bass, uke, Hawaiian guitar, etc. In other words, they were not always expert steel guitarists.

That makes sense in this particular case as the standard guitar arrangements are OK. Thanks.