The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chrome Suddenly Will Not Open-Win7
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 7:36 am    

I've been using Chrome with no issues for a long time. It worked normally on my Windows 7 PC just before I went to bed last night. It will not open this morning. I have restarted a couple of times. A full antivirus/malware scan revealed nothing. Am I going to have to delete and reinstall? Naturally, I don't want to lose my bookmarks, etc. Any ideas?

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 7:52 am    

You could try running it in 'incognito' mode from the command line to see if that will work -- that will run like Firefox's 'safe mode', without any add-ons.

http://techhelpbuzz.com/browser/google-chrome/how-to-run-google-chrome-in-safe-mode-or-incognito-mode/

Just a thought. If that works, you may be able to export your bookmarks for safekeeping if you do have to uninstall/reinstall later.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 8:21 am    

If Chrome refuses to open, or crashes upon opening, uninstall and reinstall it, keeping your bookmarks and logins in place (which is an option). The program files are kept in a different file system location than the user files.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 8:28 am    

Wiz,
I have another question for you.
I like to watch Fox News and oft times there is something posted on the right side of the page that I want to watch. I bring it up and the commercial will play but then when the subject matter is sposed to come up all I get is that wheel that goes around and around and nothing happens. What gives?
Erv

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 10:37 am    

I uninstalled and reinstalled it. It might have taken a couple of minutes. It's running again. My bookmarks were saved. Thanks everybody.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 4:57 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Wiz,
I have another question for you.
I like to watch Fox News and oft times there is something posted on the right side of the page that I want to watch. I bring it up and the commercial will play but then when the subject matter is sposed to come up all I get is that wheel that goes around and around and nothing happens. What gives?
Erv

This spinning wheel, or dots, indicates that the web page is waiting for some additional possibly external content or script to load. Most websites embed scripts that deliver ads, stock or news tickers, weather forecasts, local links and videos from outside websites (like YouTube). With tens of scripts calling in content to load some are bound to encounter delays along their route to your browser.

Sometimes the delays are caused by general network congestion. Other times the cause may be a DDoS attack targeting one of the script sources, or their connectivity providers.

You can halt the loading of a web page by clicking on the X that's usually displayed in the address or location bar. Clicking the X will let you see and read only the content that has fully loaded.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 8:42 am    

Thanks, Wiz Very Happy