The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone have problems with Loud drummers?
Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 9:52 am    

I have played with quite a few bands in my lifetime and one of the most annoying thing I can think of is a drummer that that beats his drums as loud and hard as they can.

I have played at several Steel guitar conventions and these drummers dont do that , They play with the band not above them.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 10:13 am    

Greg,
The drummers at steel guitar shows are musicians, not just drummers. There is a difference. It's playing "with" the band and playing what the music calls for that makes the difference. Another of my pet peeve with drummers is the train wreck at the end of a song. It's like, "you didn't hear enough drums in the song, so here is a little extra for you". When the song is over, it's over.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 10:30 am    

Have him switch to brushes.

Curry Coster

Glen Burnie, MD USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 11:43 am    

Who doesn't?

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 1:13 pm    

Sometimes the only solution, besides leaving the band, is ear plugs. I HATE drummers that crash cymbals all night long.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 1:44 pm    

Seems harder for steel players, as we're sitting at 'eye level' to the cymbals.. the cats on the front line are above it and don't notice, so it's hard to get any sympathy! Smile If I have trouble with a drummer, I only have it once...I already have tinnitus from 45 years in machine shops. I'm not giving up anymore hearing. Smile

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 1:46 pm    

Another thing you all may or may not know, It's very possible for the drummer to have a ride cymbal that's either out of tune or makes other things sound out of tune. Don't know the reason behind it but our drummer was a big ride cymbal guy and I noticed every time he was playing it, the tuning went to pot. We finally figured out what it was and he changed cymbals and everything was ok then. Confused Confused

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 2:47 pm    

One of our members here has a pretty good rock band, but the last time I saw them, the drummer played so loud that the other guys had to crank up the amps in order to hear themselves, and the total volume was past the point pf pain. I had to leave because it all so loud.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 4:57 pm    

I'm pretty sure someone posted on here at some point it takes an awfully good drummer to be better than no drummer at all. There's a lot of truth in that.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 5:17 pm    

Roger Crawford wrote:
Greg,
The drummers at steel guitar shows are musicians, not just drummers. There is a difference. It's playing "with" the band and playing what the music calls for that makes the difference. Another of my pet peeve with drummers is the train wreck at the end of a song. It's like, "you didn't hear enough drums in the song, so here is a little extra for you". When the song is over, it's over.

You must have been to some of my gigs..lol. Your right every song has to end with two measures added at 120db

Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 5:23 pm     Drummer's

Most drummers are not musicians! Most have damaged their ears and don't hear the cymbal overtones and can't tune their drums to whole tones. I always have a set of earplugs in my seat for that reason. It is no fun playing like that and I try to avoid the noise bands.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 5:38 pm    

Bill Miller wrote:
I'm pretty sure someone posted on here at some point it takes an awfully good drummer to be better than no drummer at all. There's a lot of truth in that.

...but then if you have a drum machine, you're pretty darn close to karaoke.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 6:08 pm    

I've noticed that the best drummers I have ever played with bring a basic kit. Two cymbals,kick snare and a ride tom.

I played a recent gig with a 59 year old female who had great timing and used the bare minimum of drums,almost no cymbals and it sounded great.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 6:17 pm    

Dick Wood wrote:
I've noticed that the best drummers I have ever played with bring a basic kit. Two cymbals,kick snare and a ride tom.

I played a recent gig with a 59 year old female who had great timing and used the bare minimum of drums,almost no cymbals and it sounded great.

You just described Travis Hardy, the guy I've been playing with. He was the drummer with a young group Mickey and the Motorcars , Austin TX(on their first two albums). He plays that *exact* set up you described at every gig, but he and his father have something like 100 drum kits in a warehouse in Challis Idaho (they collect and rebuild old kits). Every gig he plays, he picks a kit that is the appropriate size/loudness for the gig, many of his kits are from the 30's and 40's (old slingerlands and such) He's a hell of a singer too. Classic honky-tonk drummer, and a joy to play with.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 6:39 pm     Anyone have problems with Loud drummers?

Curry Coster wrote:
Who doesn't?

Uhh...Lawrence Welk? Laughing

Regrettably, the era of tasteful drummers and un-distorted guitars seems to have passed.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 6:41 pm    

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
Bill Miller wrote:

Depends on how you use them. I have played a lot of places with Band in Box and Lead player and my steel. Other times I have used Boss DR 880 drums and bass with the lead player and my steel. The crowd loved it. Volumes were perfect.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 6:41 pm     drums

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
Bill Miller wrote:

Depends on how you use them. I have played a lot of places with Band in Box and Lead player and my steel. Other times I have used Boss DR 880 drums and bass with the lead player and my steel. The crowd loved it. Volumes were perfect.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 6:56 pm     Re: drums

Greg Lambert wrote:
Brooks Montgomery wrote:
Bill Miller wrote:

I've heard some excellent karaoke singers.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 7:44 pm    

I like a heavy kick & snare, and almost no cymbal. The drummer in my band fits that perfectly.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 10:23 pm    

While a lot of drummers are guilty of playing too loud they are not alone. A loud keyboard or electric guitar banging rhythm instead of pulling back is just as detrimental and I suspect some steel players are guilty. There is much more to being a musician than being able to play an instrument. Our Friday night drummer Clark Cox is a joy to play with. He feels the dynamics of a song and does not cover them up. If we could all learn to do our thing then pretty much bail out how sweet it could be. Sorry, I forgot this was supposed to be about drummers.
Jerry

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 10:40 pm    

"Dynamics? I'm playing as loud as I can!"

Don't get me started...

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2016 3:07 am    

Of course, I suspect most anybody playing popular music for any length of time has dealt with an obnoxiously loud drummer - perhaps many. But I'm with Jerry Roller on this. I love playing with a "good" drummer, and what constitutes "good" drumming depends on context and personal preference.

It is a drag (for me) to play with people who don't have a shared ensemble vision. It all too frequently becomes a narcissistic tug-of-war. To me, that is the issue, not drummers, or any specific instrument. I think part of the deal is that drummers have a lot of power in an ensemble. Used wisely, it can be glorious. Used poorly, it can be a mess.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2016 4:52 am    

I played in a modern country band whereby the band leader always complained to the drummer he wasn't hitting them hard enough. I no longer play in that band.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2016 6:20 am    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
It all too frequently becomes a narcissistic tug-of-war.

Lead guitarists are often the worst when it comes to that.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2016 6:34 am    

I point an Amp right at him (who-ever it is playing too loud) and let it rip til they get the message.
Here's where I got the idea...