The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Fiddlin'" Frenchie Burke Passes
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 10:38 am    

Tracy Pitcox at Heart of Texas Records just reported that Fiddlin' Frenchie Burke passed away last nite...

Here's Tracy's email:

Country Music Entertainer Frenchie Burke has passed away after a lengthy illness.

"Frenchie passed away with his beloved wife Sara by his side on Saturday at 7:11 PM," Heart of Texas Records President Tracy Pitcox said. "During the last few years, he had suffered some debilitating strokes and had been diagnosed with cancer. Although he was in a rehab facility for the last couple of months, he still longed to be back on stage. The stage was his life and where he shined brightest."

Frenchie Burke was born in the small Louisiana town of Kaplan, not for from Lafayette. His grandfather taught him to play the fiddle and he began to play with small bands throughout Louisiana. He began to work the road and attract attention of some well know entertainers.

He joined the United States Air Force and continued to entertain his fellow service men including winning the annual talent contests.
After leaving the Air Force, Burke began working for Ray Price, Little Jimmy Dickens and Johnny Bush touring throughout the United States and Canada. It was while working with Johnny Bush that Frenchie cut his first record, “Warm With Love In Here.”

"After I left Willie, I formed my own band, starting with fiddler Frenchie Burke. He was the very first Bandolero," Bush recalls. "He was from Houston, and he'd been working singles with me when I was still with Willie. Back in those days, those Texas fiddle players were treacherous, there were some bad fiddle players out there. But Frenchie and I really gelled together because he could play."

In 1974, he received extensive airplay with his version of the old Cajun waltz “Big Mamou.” It quickly became the number one requested song on several Texas radio stations including KIKK in Houston, KKYX in San Antonio and WBAP in Ft. Worth. 20th Century Records then released it and it became a number one record across the nation. Other chart hits followed including “The Fiddlin of Jacques Pierre Bordeaux,” “Frenchie’s Cotton Eyed Joe” and “Let’s Get Drunk and Be Somebody.”

The highlight of the Frenchie Burke Show was his version of the “Orange Blossom Special.” The show ended with Burke going out into the audience and “fiddling” around with various members of the audience. It was a fan favorite all over the country. Burke's was a high energy presentation with vocals and instrumentals that became standards in the Country Music industry.

Frenchie was voted the Cashbox Instrumentalist of the Year in 1981 and along with his band was given the Best New Duo of 1975. His album “Fiddlin Frenchie Burke” was ranked the number four album in 1975. He last album was on Startex Records called “Dance Album.”

When asked how he wanted to be remembered last month, Burke simple said "L-O-V-E".

He is survived by his wife Sara, five childred Buck Roberts, Brenda Vosler, Donna Lynn Bourque, Bobby Gene Bourque and Leah Bourque, eleven grandchildren and two great grandchildren. A celebration of life will be held at a later date.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 2:01 pm    

Hate to hear this. His vinyl album "The Best of Fiddlin' Frenchie Burke" on Delta is among my treasures. Prayers and comfort to his family.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 4:54 pm    

I'm becoming reluctant to even open the "Gone Home" section anymore. This makes me so sad. We're losing all the artists who made real country music what it is (was), with very few left to fill the void.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 6:31 pm    

Really sad.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 1:43 am    

so very sorry to her this sad news, Frenchie made his mark in music and we are all better for it.

RIP Frenchie

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 8:25 am    

Frenchie was one of the most remarkable people I have ever met. If you wanted a personality transplant, his would be who you would choose. He led a really interesting life and was a remarkable musician, a true friend of the steel guitar. I had breakfast with him three times and he gave me many of the details of his life, he was a fascinating individual. If anyone wants to know more about him ask me, I know a good bit. I was fortunate enough to have heard him and Reggie Rueffer play twin fiddles a number of times, there will never be another musical experience to equal that I am sure.

He was not at all exaggerating when he told me that no one ever wanted to perform after him, and I mean no one.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 10:59 am    

Darrell, who played pedal steel on Big Mamou? Frenchie was certainly steel friendly.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 11:43 am    

Robbie Springfield was the amazing steel player on "Mamou." Robbie was about 17 years old at the time. Randy Corner was the great guitarist in that band also.

I played several gigs with Frenchie when I was a Bandolero, and afterwards, and he was always astounding. Very steel friendly, and very generous with praise to his musicians. The last time I worked with him was a reunion with Randy Corner and that was really special. I frankly had a difficult time keeping up with the tempos those guys liked to play.

RIP, you amazing man.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Mike Ester

New Braunfels, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 1:40 pm    

I was in a position to have worked a few gigs with him some years ago. It was a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

I wasn't the best steel player to have worked with him, but I knew his material. I got a healthy dose of Frenchie's music before I had even started playing steel.

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning.

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 1:49 pm     Frenchie Burke

Anonther Louisiana born musician and legend is playing in Heavens Band now! RIP Frenchie!
Frenchie was born in Kaplan Louisiana about 17 miles south of me. He was a huge influence on one of my fiddler friends David Varnado and many others!

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 5:17 pm    

Godspeed, Frenchie. Now you're rollin in the good stuff..

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 8:40 pm    

I met Frenchie back in 1978, he was a talented musician who will be missed by those of us loved him.
Dale, you are right, another Louisiana musician gone.

Frenchie never forgot where he came from. And that's what is important in life.

Tommy Shown

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 11:22 pm    

This is really sad news, I always loved his music. My prayers and condolences to his family and loved ones.

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria

Lee Gillespie

Cheyenne, Wy. USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2016 5:25 pm     Frenchie

VERY SAD NEWS....I was stationed with Leon (Frenchie) at Ft. Warren here in Cheyenne 50-51. We had a 4 piece group with Jimmy Woordard. Leon, Red Wells, and my self. At that time Ft Warren had a radio station that we played on once a week, and on the weekends we played at a play called the State Line club. Leon was always fun to play with. Rest in peace old friend. Lee

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2016 7:30 am    

I got to meet Frenchie in the seventies when he made some dates in SoCal. A friend of mine (former forumite the late Harley Morris) knew Frenchie and we got tickets to his show in Long Beach. Frenchie let Harley set in on fiddle for a couple of numbers. I loved that little twist in the chorus of Orange Blossom Special where in the A part he'd go up to Bb for a measure which was really cool.........

I remember an interview article in Guitar Player magazine some years ago with the great British guitarist Albert Lee. Albert was asked about his practice routine and he said "I don't really practice much, I have this LP record "Fiddlin' Frenchie Burke" and I just put it on the turntable and play along with it"... I have the same album and have done the same thing many times over the years.. RIP Frenchie, you'll be remembered a long time...JH in Va.

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2016 9:53 am    

Frenchie was one of a kind, and a consummate entertainer. I feel so fortunate to have known him and to have played dates with him for many years. He was tough to keep up with, I can tell you that! And he sure was a hard act to follow on a package show. Shocked

Quote:
I remember an interview article in Guitar Player magazine some years ago with the great British guitarist Albert Lee. Albert was asked about his practice routine and he said "I don't really practice much, I have this LP record "Fiddlin' Frenchie Burke" and I just put it on the turntable and play along with it"...

I remember that article too Jerry. I saw Albert in 2007 and remarked to him about it, telling him I knew Frenchie and Randy Cornor. He wanted to know all about how they were doing and asked me to tell them hello from him.

R.I.P. Frenchman.....

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2016 10:18 pm     Sad News

I was in a band that backed up Frenchie back in the 90's for a gig in Jacksonville at some golf country club. I loved listening to him sing and play but cringed every time he told me to "take one". There's no way I was on his level then or even now but he was sooooo cool about it all. Such a nice fellow, I'm sure he's missed by all of us fans and his loved ones. God Bless him!!

Don Euton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2016 5:51 pm    

I remember Frenchie preforming at the Austin County Fair in Bellville, TX. about 15 years ago. He had the crowd dancing and many watched. He played the fiddle in different body positions. He then ask my Daughter to come on stage where he fiddled while she held the bow. He was a great fiddle player, showman and person.
Don Euton