The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Weird, serious problem with my '69 Emmons...
Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 6:13 am    

I've been fighting this guitar since I bought it. Little niggling things that really make the guitar hard to play and not sound very good.

Here's the latest problem: The B pedal turns the sixth string into a sitar. I cannot figure this out. It does this all the way up the board whether or not the A pedal is involved. Sounds terrible.

The rollers are shot in the bridge. Someone took it apart and when they put it back together some rollers sit slightly higher than the others so that the string height is uneven making the guitar very difficult to play below the fifth fret.

Right now, I just want to make the steel not sound like Ravi Shankar is sitting in...

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 6:56 am    

Tom, this is just a shot in the dark. Could the roller at the nut for the 6th string be pinched a bit thus not allowing string 6 to move as freely as it should?

If you were to put a thinner 6th string on and activate the B pedal just to test whether the sitar sound is there or not, it might suggest whether or not that roller is damaged.

Good luck solving the problem. Stevet

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 7:55 am    

Doesn't sound like the stock rollers. I had a 71 PP and the rollers were all the same (weren't gauged like some steel vendors use today).

I would try to get a new set of rollers. That will probably solve the problems. Jim Palenscar's shop In Oceanside should be able to fix you up.

http://www.steelguitars.me/

Last edited by Jack Stoner on 10 Dec 2016 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 7:56 am    

Consider a gauged roller set- that will solve the height problem. The sitar effect comes from one end or the other- the roller or the changer finger- not hard to figure out- if it's the changer it will usually disappear if you move the string on the changer finger sideways a bit. I'm sure you've tried different strings to eliminate that variable.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 10:17 am    

Thanks Jim. I spoke to a friend about it this morning and he offered several suggestions. I'd like to keep the guitar original if possible but I also want to play it. I'll call you later.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 10:43 am    

I'm guessing the rollers were removed and reinserted a little ham-fistedly. On my Zum, I managed to wound a roller in the process by nicking it with the tiny screwdriver.
Remove, inspect, dress as necessary, and reinstall.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 10:48 am    

Tom, you seem to be describing a changer finger that is not round. Most likely someone has sanded a flat top on the roller. When the roller turns the string hits that flat flat spot. There is a very small "hump" just front of where the string leaves the roller. I would slightly loosen string tension and move the string back and forth across the changer radius perhaps 50 times to mark the spot then move the string out of the way and carefully sand right in front of the "scuff". Some trial and repeat is required. If you are careful you can remove that high spot and correct it. I use a very narrow wooden stick with fine sand paper wrapped around it to take aim at that tiny problem area. It is a tedious operation and some will advise against it but it works for me. The problem was probably caused by someone sanding the string grooves out leaving the changer roller out of round. I am only addressing the sitar sound or string buzz. Others have already addressed the string height problem. I am tring to avoid the obvious true fix of replacing the finger.
Jerry

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 1:03 pm    

Jerry Roller wrote:
..a changer finger that is not round. ...
I am tring to avoid the obvious true fix of replacing the finger.

If you can't find a replacement finger, you might be able to fix it by swapping this finger with another string. For example, put the damaged finger under a big fat string where it won't spoil the sound. Do not attempt this on the band stand, however, because the break may be over before you finish.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 1:25 pm    

Bovine- u r a funny guy Smile

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 2:10 pm    

Earnest Bovine wrote:
Jerry Roller wrote:
..a changer finger that is not round. ...
I am tring to avoid the obvious true fix of replacing the finger.

If you can't find a replacement finger, you might be able to fix it by swapping this finger with another string. For example, put the damaged finger under a big fat string where it won't spoil the sound. Do not attempt this on the band stand, however, because the break may be over before you finish.

Thank you Earnest but no problem. I changed the copedent on my 1958 Emmons D-10 push-pull from an Emmons to a Day and added three knee levers to the C6th between the second and third set at "The Truck Drivers's Stop and Shop" in Crankerville ID one rainy night in 1960...

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 4:18 pm    

Quote:

Thank you Earnest but no problem. I changed the copedent on my 1958 Emmons D-10 push-pull from an Emmons to a Day

Wouldn't you love to still have that 1958 Emmons push pull. Very Happy

When the B pedal is not engaged. Does it still sound like a sitar? If not. Then the roller is most likely the problem. If it only does the sitar thing with the pedal engaged? I think Jerry's found the problem.

b.

Edit. For drifting off topic.

Last edited by Bobby Boggs on 10 Dec 2016 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 4:51 pm    

Only burr I ever had was under my saddle... -L-

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 8:41 pm    

Hey Tom; Dickey from HD forum here...I had a similar problem on either my Zum or my GES; don't remember which. I solved it by lifting the string out of the roller, rotating the roller maybe 90 degrees, then letting the string back. Groove in roller was too deep & string was vibrating & sizzling against the bar because it was lower than the other 9. Worked for me & never happened again. Sometimes the simplest things work first.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 9:29 am    

Hey Dickey, how are ya?

(An old cyber friend from a big Harley forum. Best writer on that board and way more than decent picker)

Yeah, I'll fool with the guitar later today and see what I can do. I should change the strings at the same time I guess. Hope things are swimming in Florida.

bjewell

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 7:48 pm    

Hey Bj good to see you here! Thank you for the compliments! Riding weather is perfect in Florida; you oughtta come visit me sometime; you're always welcome. Bring your picks & bar & sit in with my band; we're always playing.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 8:09 pm    

I'd love to Dickie. Mom and two brothers and their wives live near Sanford...