The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tired of pressing your finger picks into your chest or palm
Richard McVicker

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 5:07 pm    

I notice that players continue, even on stage , to press there finger picks into there chest. I am sure it is a habit but the new SADDLE finger picks stay on your finger and in place due to the ring at the rear that works just like the ring on your finger. You don't even notice you have a ring on because it is loose and is held on by the soft pad in front of it. Well the same thing happens with the SADDLE finger picks. Take a look at the video, after the thumb pick demonstration and see how we have taken the problem and used it to your advantage. Not available in music stores. www.saddlethumbpicks.com

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2016 6:57 am    

Hey Richard,
If you send me some picks I'd be happy to demo them for you and post my opinion.
But at $9.95 a thumbpick & 15 bucks for 2 fingerpicks, It's just not practical, at least for me.
Good luck with your invention! Cool

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2016 8:52 am    

Spit is a lot cheaper! Rolling Eyes

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2016 9:55 am    

Interesting idea. As far as complaints about pricing, I don't think it's unreasonable if they work well. Seems to me $25 is a pretty small investment alongside of what most of us have spent on our gear. I've only used two sets of fingerpicks in all of the twenty-five plus years I've been playing.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2016 10:18 am     Re: Tired of pressing your finger picks into your chest or p

Richard McVicker wrote:
I notice that players continue, even on stage , to press there finger picks into there chest. I am sure it is a habit...

Well, different people seem to concentrate on different things. As for myself, I probably don't notice things like that because I don't attribute very much to them. What I pay the most attention to are playing skills and musical approaches. I just don't feel that the personal habits, mannerisms, or equipment, are what got the famous players where they are.

But that's just me. Smile

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2016 10:30 am    

The finger picks look good but the blade on the Thumb Pick looks kinda big and thick which might feel weird on the strings.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2016 10:35 am    

I like the idea of a thumbpick that I can rake backward with, without it moving and ruining the attack. If it really works as advertised, I wouldn't mind the price, especially since you keep and use these things for years.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2016 10:40 am    

I bought one of these a few years ago. It is absolutely crucial that you size this pick correctly before you cut it. In my case, it was slightly off and the pick never really fit me right, so I never could use it.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2016 11:40 am    

My take on these!

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Saddle%20Thumb%20Picks/Saddle%20Thumb%20Picks.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2016 4:04 pm     Re: Tired of pressing your finger picks into your chest or p

Donny Hinson wrote:
Richard McVicker wrote:
I notice that players continue, even on stage , to press there finger picks into there chest. I am sure it is a habit...

Well, different people seem to concentrate on different things. As for myself, I probably don't notice things like that because I don't attribute very much to them. What I pay the most attention to are playing skills and musical approaches. I just don't feel that the personal habits, mannerisms, or equipment, are what got the famous players where they are.

But that's just me. Smile

But if the tip isn't in the same place as you expect it, it can drive you crazy! If I have to change picks, it bugs me to pieces until I get them bent right, or I get used to the new normal.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2016 7:24 pm     Re: Tired of pressing your finger picks into your chest or p

Donny Hinson wrote:
I just don't feel that the personal habits, mannerisms, or equipment, are what got the famous players where they are.

I don't think people remark on famous players pressing their picks on in the midst of playing because they imagine it has anything to do with "what got them where they are".

It's more a matter of personal reassurance: "Gee, I'm always having to fuss with my picks--but hey, even the greats have to, too." Wink

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 7:42 am     Re: Tired of pressing your finger picks into your chest or p

Brint Hannay wrote:

I don't think people remark on famous players pressing their picks on in the midst of playing because they imagine it has anything to do with "what got them where they are".

Brint, some players may. My comments were not meant as a critique, but more along the lines of my "opinion", because there are often some hasty generalizations made here on the forum. Experienced players know enough to dismiss them, but newbies may be inclined to just accept them.

When most players start out, finding comfortable picks can be an issue. But most soon settle on one brand or another, and then seldom give them another thought. Other players are constantly looking for something better or different. It's the same with guitars, where some players religiously stick with one brand, and others are constantly changing, looking for...something. Of course, neither view is right or wrong, necessary or unnecessary. Richard even started his post with "I notice that players continue, even on stage , to press there finger picks into there chest. I am sure it is a habit..." Well, it might be a habit, or it might not. Sometimes, we do things consciously, and sometimes we just do things without thinking about them. A player might fidget with his picks, just as Richard said, out of habit. It may or may not be because they are loose, or there is any problem with them.

Quote:

It's more a matter of personal reassurance: "Gee, I'm always having to fuss with my picks--but hey, even the greats have to, too." Wink

And because I'm not particularly fond of absolutes - I would add that some fuss, and some don't. Wink

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 8:20 am    

I have noticed with Lloyd Green, it appears that he is often fooling with his picks while playing, just watch him sometime.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 9:32 am    

There's several videos of me playing a set of standards on YouTube and on one, I unconsciously fiddle with the flap on the left breast pocket on my shirt while I'm introducing the next song or the band. Nervous habit or something, I was unaware I was doing it so frequently.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Gary Grider

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 11:14 am    

In office supplies, get fingertip moistener. It’s the stuff secretaries put on their fingers and thumb to sort papers. Just a little on fingers and thumb is plenty. Picks stay in place. Works Great.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 11:18 am    

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 12:52 pm    

At least you're not picking your nose, Herb.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 12:54 pm    

That's why some steelers don't wear picks, it hurts to pick your nose wearing picks! Whoa!

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 1:59 pm    

There are advantages to going pickless. Once calluses are established, there's a great tonal variety going from soft skin to hard nail. The trade-off is is that the attack is not as, should I say, crisp.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 11:09 pm    

Quote:
There's several videos of me playing a set of standards on YouTube and on one, I unconsciously fiddle with the flap on the left breast pocket on my shirt while I'm introducing the next song or the band. Nervous habit or something, I was unaware I was doing it so frequently.

Still searching for those cigarettes? Laughing

Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2016 3:43 pm    

1. What's wrong with pressing your picks into your chest if they are slipping?
2. If you take the time to fit Dunlop or National picks to your fingers you should have minimum slipping anyway.
3. To be on the safe side lick your finger tips and thumb first; should hold you for a set.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 7:31 am    

Well as a follow-up to my comments above I did order a set of the finger picks and I have to say I am disappointed with them. I am used to .025 gauge picks and these appear to be .018. They are un-coated and the material feels and looks inferior. They may work for some but I find them feel flimsy and I can't get good tone with them at all. Also not a fan of the blade shape with wide ladle form. As for them staying on better, they may do that but the overall contact with my finger makes them feel like they aren't snug enough to give good tone, regardless of how I shape the barrel.
Your experience may be different but for me the search goes on.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 8:42 am    

I tried fitting one of those thumb picks. I followed the instructions and it never fit right and finally gave up.

Neil Degraw

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 9:30 am    

My skin is dry, so I've had trouble keeping my picks tight and not slip. I have bought and tried everything. You do see quite a few people lick their fingers before they put their picks on. I tried this, and have not had a problem since and it doesn't cost a lot.

Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 11:48 am    

http://www.sticky-picks.com/bio.html
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!