The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Band in a Box 2017 Audiophile
Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 8:03 pm    

Does anyone know what the Audiophile version is or why the big bucks for it?

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 4:25 pm    

The standard version of Biab uses .wma files for the real tracks. Like mp3s information is removed to compress the file, which make the lower mids and above 11k indistinct.

The audio one is the .wav files, just as the tracks were recorded. As soon as you hear the acoustic strummed or a horn section or a snare drum and cymbal's you will know why it is more expensive, especially if you think the standard version sounds good.

It will be my next upgrade for sure, it is a day and night difference. 😎

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2017 5:12 pm    

Thanks for the info. I think that may be my next upgrade as well.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2017 12:13 pm    

I see the Midi Store has the 2017 Audiophile version on USB hard drive for $465. Is this a good street price or should I wait for a better deal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2017 5:38 pm    

Greg, BIAB comes out with an annual upgrade for both windows and Mac, and imho the prices, even upgrading from the previous version, are exorbitant.

I'm weaning myself from the upgrade merry-go-round with PG Music, I hardly use it, though it's pretty handy when I need to create a track.

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2017 5:39 pm    

If it is a First-time Purchase drive then it is a GREAT deal since a First-time Purchase is $669 + $15 S&H (tho you can save the $15 by downloading it all).

But if it is an UPGRADE version then that is in the ball park of PGMusic's price of $479-499 for an upgrade. And to legally purchase an upgrade you have to have a previous version of the Audiophile Edition.

Hope this helps! Cool

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2017 5:41 pm    

John, this is why I usually do an update every 2 years...it is worth it then IMHO... Cool

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2017 7:39 pm    

http://www.midi-store.com/PG-Music-Band-in-a-Box-Audiophile-Version-2017-PC-p/sku42519.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 6:52 am    

Excuse my ignorance but I haven't used BIAB for like 10 years. Back then it sounded cheesy. I've listened to a few hours worth of YouTube tutorials showing Real Band and the ability to mix Real and Midi tracks. Sounds really good and seems just as good as my current use of EZKeys and EZDrummer. I would pry port the BIAB tracks to Reaper and add my own live tracks for a final mix.

Still cheesy sounding? A good strategy or still with my existing tools?

Example of what I am hearing that seems very cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zQrdiWvq1A

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 8:21 am    

The way I use BiaB is to input the chord structure, then allow it to generate guitar, fiddle, and horn parts. I will have it generate 2 or 3 full solo / comp parts, then export them into Reaper to comp into parts I needed for the track.

BiaB has an Export feature that allows you to drag one part, or the full band, into a window that will convert them into .wav, mp3, wma, or midi files. Then you just drag that window into your DAW and the parts will lay out on individual tracks.

Real Tracks is what has kept me coming back every few years to update. Now, with the Super Midi parts & the ability to use a good player like Sampletank or Sforzando with the HiQ BIAB sounds mixing them up sounds pretty good....I have even used the full arrangement for some songs in 2016, one which won a few contests. Surprised

I feel that it is worth the investment. Being able to try out progression ideas in different styles has lead? / guided? me to new ideas for some songs that I would never had otherwise.

It IS a hefty outright investment, and like others have said a pretty high yearly update cost. This is why I do it every 2 years to soften the blow some. Cool

And Greg, I just went to the Midi Store from your link and see that it IS the full version....that is a great price for it! If I had not just bought a new lapsteel I would be all over that, great find!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 9:12 am    

I update every year.
If you have the previous year's version, it costs less that way.
I started on BIAB when it was still MS DOS! Whoa!

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 9:15 am    

Erv, same here!......I wonder how many folks remember 3 1/2 floppy disks? Or green monitors? Laughing

I still have a few drives sitting here & a box of disks I have not yet gone thru from years back.... Cool

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 9:32 am    

Jim,
My computer didn't have a DVD drive on it.
I received a BIAB update a few years ago and they were DVDs so I had to invest in a DVD drive in order to download them. Very Happy

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 9:57 am    

I believe the audiophile version comes on a USB hard drive. A few years back users indicated that the provided drive was slow and unusable. They had to load all the samples onto their main HD to get them to play. PG Music has upgraded the drive latency and speed and claims it will now work with a standard USB 2.0 port. Maybe I'll take a chance on this. Somewhere I read where the sales extends until 1/15/17.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 12:16 pm    

Also available on ebay, same seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331441325579?hash=item4d2b71460b&autorefresh=true

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 8:23 pm    

Yes Greg, the PG Music site has their sales going on thru the 15th of this month.

Tho I did not have the slow drive problem that others had with the older drives, mine failed after about 16 months. I had ran it from the drive for a few weeks, then loaded everything onto my system & put the drive up. I did a nuke & pave on the system, and when I pulled the drive out it was dead. PG Music sent another one out the same day to replace it.

The 2016 HDD I received works 100% fine on USB2 on both my Core2Quad 3.2Ghz with 16gb memory and my Core2Duo 2.8Ghz 4gb laptop, and transferred all files over no problem.

This new 2017 HDD also runs fine on the laptop, I have not had a chance to get it home & try it on the studio system....but in my experience PG Music is a stand up company that will make things right if there is a problem.

And no, I am NOT a salesman for them, I am just a happy user is all.....I don't even get a price cut! Laughing Cool

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 8:31 pm    

I have also just sent a message to support & posted on the forums about the great deal you found....is it legit, can it be registered & licensed, etc etc...

If it IS legit, I will be bummed because of lack of cash.....but will book mark that site for future reference! Laughing Cool

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2017 11:23 pm    

Great. Even money the supplier pulls it from that vendor.

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 3:01 am    

Let's hope not Ken, but if it is NOT legit then it is just a rip off waiting to happen. If it IS legit then they can sell it at that price.

A person who says he bought his version of BiaB from that site has posted and said it was legit, so lets see how it pans out...... Cool

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 6:08 am    

That site has a ton of positive reviews on Reverb.com and many other places. There's other legit sites selling it for $589. Will let you know when I receive it!

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 7:34 am    

I'll check and see what Micro Center is selling it for.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 11:52 am    

Got confirmation email that my order was shipped and will be here this Friday. Also called the midi-store and talked to a real person who answered all my questions! I'll register it when it arrives and let youse know how it turns out.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2017 9:58 am    

My copy of BIAB Audiophile 2017 arrived as scheduled yesterday and came in a factory sealed carton with all the materials shown including a warranty card.

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2017 1:28 pm    

Outstanding Greg Exclamation

Please let us know how easy it is to register & license please! Cool

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2017 1:56 pm    

Got it installed.

The serial number to activate it was on the hard drive. Got BIAB and RealBand activated and running with demo sound coming out of the speakers.

I registered on the PGMusic web site and it didn't ask any serial number specific questions. Running the ASIO driver and everything seems OK so far.

Installed BIAB on my computer's hard drive and left RealTracks and Real Drums on the PGMusic supplied drive. According to PGMusic I can also install The RealTracks and RealDrums on my computer's hard drive but they would first be converted to wma files before being placed on computer's hard drive. I left them outboard to keep them as .wav files.