The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Picks catching on adjacent string
Alan Judson

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2016 7:10 am    

I'm learning to hold my hand like Jeff Newman (right hand alpha). I have the same picks he uses (JFs) and my hand looks like his when I play. The only problem is when I strike, say, the 4th string with my middle finger, the side of my pick sounds the 3rd string.

Any suggestions for avoiding hitting those strings?
Thanks,
Alan Judson

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2016 7:42 am    

You may be curling your fingers under too much. Jeff's courses are good, but there is no one technique that works for everyone. You have to find and try to perfect the one that works for you! If it's the side of the blade or "tongue" that's giving you trouble, you may be able to rotate the picks a little so you're striking the string more with the center of the pick. And if it's the wrap that hanging, you can bend (angle) that part up to get it away from the strings, or tighten the radius at the end of the wrap.
Smile

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2016 7:45 am    

The guy was a amazing player, but you may want to find a hand position thst works for your specific anatomy.

There are many schools of thought on hand position. Joe Wright... even a more amazing player has a right hand technique that is totally different.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2016 7:53 am    

If the wrap is striking, adjust the curve of the blade so your fingers aren't as close to the strings, or adjust the wrap.
If the blade is striking, it's a matter of technique and time.

Alan Judson

Post  Posted 5 Dec 2016 7:55 am     Wrap

Yeah - it's the wrap that's catching. I'll try moving the tip further away from my skin.
Thanks everyone!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2016 8:38 am    

I gave up on Pro-Piks because I could not control their wraps, the second wrap kept catching.
I find the Jim Dunlop picks, when properly bent, stay out of the way.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2016 9:32 am    

Another vote for doing what works. I was having a problem using my first finger - it was weak and just would not do what I wanted it to do.

I had been trying hard to copy exactly the position in Jeff's video instruction. I thought I was doing it right. During a 1 on 1 lesson, forumite Bob Carlucci suggested I rotate my right hand slightly counter-clockwise. Not far enough to be "flat", but more than what I thought Newman's plan showed. Magic - problem solved!

We are all built differently. Lessons from the experts are excellent as a starting point to get you close, but sometimes you have to tweak things just a tad to fit your individual circumstances.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2016 5:41 pm    

Try not digging in so much or if you do hot the strings more square.

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2016 7:24 pm    

I saw Jeff Newman's talking about picks after I had been playing for quite awhile. I took a look at my picks and realized that even though I wasn't having any real problems with them, they didn't fit very well. I got out about every kind and shape of pliers I had and went to work. When I was done they fit perfectly and felt way better when I played. It was time well spent.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2016 8:01 pm    

I like Pro-Piks too but had that problem when I used the split wraps- the single blade nickel silver #2's work fine for me.

Alan Judson

Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 6:15 am     Practing

Hey,
After a few hours of practice over a couple days the finger catching is mostly gone. I think it's a matter of me changing up my right hand, and learning to adjust. Also, the needle nose pliers helped.
Thanks.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 8:31 am    

Alan, I find that inexpensive (round-nose) jewelry pliers like this work well for shaping picks, as they allow you to make smoother bends in the metal.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 5:43 pm    

Lotta people swear by the Jeff Newman technique as taught in the Right Hand Alpha.
He talks at the beginning of the video saying stuff like, "the way you've been playing is wrong".
There is more than one way to skin a cat. Jeff's style is a good one. So are the right hands of JayDee, Paul Franklin and Greg Leisz. All different than The Alpha as taught by Jeff.
Watch your heroes and emulate their hands. It is a good starting point, but there is no "only one right way" when it comes to playing a musical instrument.
J

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 8:29 am    

Jeff could be doctrinaire with his students, because he didn't want them to be too confused by the many possible ways of cat-skinning. With experience and being based on the generally correct hand position for palm blocking, the student would eventually discover the most comfortable grip that fits best.

Jeff dragged me kicking and screaming into the course writing business, and supported me totally even though I was technically his competitor. He considered me his protege. I loved him and I miss him, he was one of the men that changed my life.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 6:30 pm    

Herb, he knew you are the real deal. I only spoke with him a few times, and he was so helpful to me. I dare say he altered my course, too.

+1 for the rotating of the picks. My best tone comes from my pick blades being flat against the strings. I learned my right hand posture from Jeff Newman.

Like others have said, start with Jeff and adjust to your own comfort. Not too fast, let yourself grow into having your own opinion of what is best. It takes time to work past the general discomfort of anything we do on these contraptions. Best of luck!
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35