The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Sold - please close
Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2016 4:24 am    

Up for sale is a very rare Guild M-65 DP - the suffix standing for "double pickup". This is a factory-original 2-pickup variant, not a later modification. The guitar is all original except for the bridge saddle and in great condition, with just some scattered nicks around the edges. These tuners were not standard hardware on any Guild model, but they are correct for the period and there is no evidence that other tuners were ever installed. The serial dates to late 1960. Action is great, neck plays fine, the guitar is very playable right now. It comes with its original hard case.

Think of it as an Aristocrat light - with a much lighter price than an Aristocrat as well: I'm asking $ including Paypal fees and shipping within the US. I'll consider partial trades that come with at least $1K in cash; there's nothing in particular that I'm looking for, but let me know what you have.

Last edited by Noah Miller on 10 Dec 2016 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 6:02 am     Guild M65 freshman DP

This might be custom ordered, in which case the unusual second pup, metal saddle, and tuners could all be factory original.

$100 reward for info leading to the purchase of a fender D8 white, yellow, or butterscotch.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 6:04 am    

PS Folks, the 2-pup version is extremely rare. These are harder than hen's teeth to find. If you're tempted, strike while you have the chance. You might never see another one.

$100 reward for info leading to the purchase of a fender D8 white, yellow, or butterscotch.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 6:11 am    

There are a handful of these out there known to exist - but only a handful; it's not clear whether they were custom-ordered or just an attempt by Guild to create a new product.

I'm convinced that the tuners are original. I took off one side to check, and they had made a firm impression into the finish, but there was no mark from another set of tuners. I'm skeptical about the bridge saddle simply because it's a piece of Gibson hardware; Guild did use hardware from other manufacturers (particularly Hagstrom) but I've never seen them use Gibson components.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 6:16 am    

Absolutely.

Michael Devito

Montclair, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 1:02 pm    

Noah:

That's a beautiful instrument! Could you expand on the "Aristocrat light" idea? How do they differ? Thanks.
MD

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 1:08 pm    

The biggest differences are that this guitar has f-holes and a maple top, while the Artistocrat had no f-holes and a spruce top. This guitar also has dot markers and nickel/chrome hardware, while the Aristocrat had block markers and gold hardware. The Aristocrat also had a more ornate headstock veneer.

In terms of pickups, wiring, neck profile and sound, this guitar is identical to the Aristocrat.

Ray Gehringer

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 2:38 pm    

I currently own a M-65 and have had one other in the past. Both have the guild logo in gold script and a single P-90 type pickup at the neck with a white cover.

The original tuners on both were cheap row tuners (3 per strip/side)and had white plastic buttons.

The bridge on both was wood and had a wood base. The bridge in the picture is a replacement.

The routes for both pickups should be identical... rounded on all four corners to the same radius as the corners of the pickup covers and not square or close to square... would like to see a frontal close up of the bridge pickup and a frontal close up the neck pickup.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 2:56 pm    

Guild may have shipped the occasional M-65 with a wooden bridge base, but at least the vast majority of them shipped with the "cup" feet shown on this guitar. The saddle was noted to be a replacement in my original post.

Here are closeups of the pickup routs:

Ray Gehringer

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 4:08 pm    

Noah Miller wrote:
Guild may have shipped the occasional M-65 with a wooden bridge base, but at least the vast majority of them shipped with the "cup" feet shown on this guitar. The saddle was noted to be a replacement in my original post.

My current M-65 and the one that I previously owned have/had wood bases.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 4:16 pm    

I get that. My point is that they're probably not original.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 4:06 am    

As one who has been collecting Guilds for about 25 years, I agree with Noah.

Ray Gehringer

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 10:20 am    

I currently own 9 Guild Hollow Body guitars and have owned at least a half dozen more in the past. The woods bases on the M-65 I own/owned were original to the guitars. No offense.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 10:55 am    

No problem, Ray. No offense taken.

Wanna sell any of your Guilds?