The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  FryPan-6 Lap Steel, Lighter Weight Design
W. Johnson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2016 10:37 am    

Here are some photos of a new lighter weight FryPan-6 guitar. It weighs around 8 pounds. (My frypan lap steels are usually around 14 pounds.) The scale is 22.5, and it has a Lace Alumitone pickup in it. Low end is strong, but, is losing nothing at the top end or middle either. I also put a high frequency bypass (treble bleed) on the volume pot, seems to help when volume is turned down. Tuned E6 (E-B-E-G#-C#-E), with very heavy gauge strings (.062 -- .017). I call it 'FryPan-6LW':

Wayne

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2016 1:20 pm    

Congratulations on a great design!

Ron

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2016 3:50 pm    

Quite nice indeed. I was wondering about those alumitone pickups, thanks for the quicky review.

W. Johnson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2016 4:44 pm    

David M Brown wrote:
Quite nice indeed. I was wondering about those alumitone pickups, thanks for the quicky review.
The Alumitone pickup has an exceedingly strong output. Usually a really hot pickup loses high end, but this does not, it has very strong highs and mids. I think it is very balanced, but, with an edge on the higher frequencies. Hard to describe. Just an awesome pickup.

Wayne

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2016 5:07 pm    

I really like it Cool

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2016 5:59 am    

W. Johnson wrote:
David M Brown wrote:
The Alumitone pickup has an exceedingly strong output. Usually a really hot pickup loses high end, but this does not, it has very strong highs and mids. I think it is very balanced, but, with an edge on the higher frequencies. Hard to describe. Just an awesome pickup.

Wayne

I may have to try one after reading your comments

Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 6:54 am    

Looks great Wayne...I love it. Here is mine, IGGY 6, a first generation build so folks can see the changes from one to the next.

Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 6:57 am    

I was wondering, I know the scale of the new one is 22.5, same as mine, but is the spacing of the strings the same?

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 8:26 am    

Another great feature of the Alumitone pickup is that it uses no pole pieces, thus eliminating any string spacing problems.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 9:31 am    

Ron Simpson wrote:
Another great feature of the Alumitone pickup is that it uses no pole pieces, thus eliminating any string spacing problems.

OK, that makes it even better, so that will be the next pickup I try.

W. Johnson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 11:13 pm    

Terry VunCannon wrote:
I was wondering, I know the scale of the new one is 22.5, same as mine, but is the spacing of the strings the same?
String spacing on this guitar is .375 at bridge, .320 at nut. I made the neck so narrow, 2" wide, that I had to go narrower at the nut. If/when I build another one, I can go a bit wider on the neck, like 2 1/4", and have wider nut spacing.

I did not chamber the neck on this guitar, but could have done so to reduce weight even more, and also I could remove more metal from the body. Could probably knock a few more pounds off it, but even so, it's about 6 pounds lighter than normal.

Wayne

W. Johnson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 11:18 pm    

David M Brown wrote:
Ron Simpson wrote:

OK, that makes it even better, so that will be the next pickup I try.

You will not be disappointed with this kind of pickup. Also, i put in a treble bleed circuit on the volume pot, you also might want to try doing this as well. A simple mod that dramatically changes high end tone when you cut the volume pot down.

Wayne