The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Keeping picks on fingers
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 5:19 am    

David Mitchell wrote:
Thanks! I'm gonna try the heat shrink too. I got some of that in my electronic repair box. Never thought about that. I guess you need the bigger sizes to go over the pick.

Get 1/4 inch shrink. Stretch them with needle nose pliars to go over the wrap. apply heat and you are done.

Richard McVicker

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 1:20 pm    

Saddle picks work different from all other picks the thumb picks are infently adjustable and most comfortable pick out there.The finger picks stay on you finger just like and as comfortable as your wedding ring. they DO NOT clamp on your cubical like finger picks have for the last 50 years. www.saddlethumbpicks.com

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2017 1:14 am    

I bought some of that "Locktight Fun Tak"that Pete Burak mentioned and it works great,I could've saved myself a lot of embarrassment over the years if I had known about this....Right on Brother Pete!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2017 9:24 am    

This thread is one that resurfaces from time to time. In the last thread in this topic, I mentioned using heat shrink tubing, and it works better than anything I've ever tried. I didn't want to put gummy stuff on my fingers, so I looked for another solution. This in not my original idea, I found it in a thread a few years back. Guaranteed, your picks will not slip off. It only takes a small band of tubing too. In the picture, I used a wide band, but you could cut that amount in half.

Last edited by Tim Russell on 1 Oct 2017 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2017 10:55 am    

I played with a Dunlop and National thumb picks for years, and pretty much had to suck my thumb all night to keep it from twisting away from the string when I picked. I finally tried a Golden Gate pick. It has more surface against the thumb, and completely fixed the issue.

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2017 12:33 pm    

The heat shrink tubing is the ticket for me. I use a metal thumbpick with the tubing as well and they hold on without any discomfort.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2017 5:56 pm    

I still have the first set of picks a friend gave me. They were bent using the holes. (J F picks) like hinges and the picks look like a hex. because of an old injury my middle finger is crooked and the tip drags the side of my index finger on my right hand. Those little corners would catch on the other pick and pull one of the picks off. I found Smoothing the edges of ShowCase 1941 and with a small hammer peck them smooth around a 3/8" rod (Broken drill bit) held in a vice, And roll them smooth in an oval. These stay fit with a lick on the picks. I chew tobacco that may help to.

For thumb picks, Ace Hardware step safety strip.
Rub the sandy side with a piece of metal to take off the sharp points. Cut to size, peel cover paper and attach in pick so the meaty part of your thumb contacts it. Pick will not slide or turn on your thumb.