The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The B9 Organ Pedal - 'Like it alot!
Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 6:34 am    

I see some good prices on the B9 on ebay..in the 100-110 dollar range..the C9 looks like it is running 50 dollars more on average.
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 6:41 am    

I got my B9 on local Craigslist for $100.
I would say if you're getting a B9 get it from somewhere you can easily return it if the Click feature drives you crazy.
The C9 doesn't have that annoying Click.
Setting #1 on the B9 is the best setting I think.
Setting #1 on the C9 is very close to that same sound.
The C9 also has that Shimmer effect (Orchestra string synth type of thing) which is cool on stuff like Desperado.
Overall I originally fell in love with the B9, but now I think the C9 is more versatile.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 8:53 am    

I doubt if a person would need to own both units.
I bought the B-9 and couldn't see the necessity of owning the C-9. Instead I bought the EHX Leslie pedal to use along with the B-9.
When I use my rack setup, though, I find it hard to beat the old Rotosphere. I run that in stereo and am real happy with the sound.

MIchael Bean

North Of Boston
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 11:57 am    

I used the B9 on gigs (until I broke it) with a Line 6 Roto Machine, ramping up and down with the Leslie effect. It really turns heads! I also ran it into a 7 band graphic EQ that is clamped to my steel leg, moving the sliders up & down like drawbars of a B3. That really adds to the effect.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 3:42 pm    

The C9 is a much better pedal.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 4:27 pm    

I've been using a C9 pedal that I bought from Larry Behm for about a year now. I only use it on 3 or 4 songs per night with a commercial country band. It is more than adequate for my purposes, but I've never tried anything else that is available.

I jury rigged a set up so that the pedal is mounted on the rear leg of my steel. I unplug the pedal when I'm not using it. It's easy to connect and disconnect it quickly, and it changes the tone of the steel even when it's turned off. Don't believe them when they say True Bypass.

I run a small Mooer compressor before the C9, which helps keep the organ effect going. It's the yellow thing in the photos attached. The mounting is a simple microphone stand extension. Pry off the mic clip part and drill a few holes for zip cables and you're all set.

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 6:48 pm    

[quote="MIchael Bean"]I used the B9 on gigs (until I broke it) with a Line 6 Roto Machine, ramping up and down with the Leslie effect. It really turns heads! I also ran it into a 7 band graphic EQ that is clamped to my steel leg, moving the sliders up & down like drawbars of a B3. That really adds to the effect.

That's an intersting idea, Michael. Did you put the graphic EQ before or after the B9 pedal?

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2016 7:46 am    

Do you guys know about "Chordify"?
It plays the chords along with YouTube vids.
I got the Key9, and am playing along with Mr. Sandman using the "Vibes" setting.
So fun.
Mr Sandman:
https://chordify.net/chords/mr-sandman-the-chordettes-riuldoamnei

Here's a good Organ song to play along with:
Midnight Train to Georgia:
A great version for Steel by Joan Osborn:
https://chordify.net/chords/joan-osborne-midnight-train-to-georgia-loujohnson1941

This one is great fun!
Whiter Shade of Pale:
https://chordify.net/chords/a-whiter-shade-of-pale-procol-harum-meowbay

The B9 setting #4 says it is modeled after Whiter Shade, but I Do Not hear that crappy B9 Click noise at the beginning of every organ note, on the original recording. Gah Devil
I actually LIKE the Click sound on the C9. It sounds, and feels, like you are pressing a key on a big Hammond Organ system when you pluck a note.

I think these Chordify moving-chord-charts are user generated, and sometimes have a few "extra" or wrong chords that are easiy to navigate around if you play along with the music a few times (Overall I find it very helpful). You can join Chordify and make your own tabs and submitt them to the Chordify library.
Cool.

Last edited by Pete Burak on 8 Dec 2016 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2016 8:50 am    

I wish there was a way to mod the B9 pedal to remove the click all the way. I wonder if the pot value for the click control is different in the C9 vrs the B9.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 9:36 am    

I played a gig with the C9 pedal yesterday.
It worked great!

Background chords with various Organ patches worked very well.
I increased the spin rate at times while the chord sustained, and used volume pedal swells and bar "english" to cop the B3 type feel as best I could.

I forgot my Black Box, so I ran Steel to C9, C9 to Telonics V-ped, V-ped to RV3, RV3 to Session 400.

The Session 400 has an original spider-web Black Widow with an aluminum dust cover, it is pretty treble-ee, which helped to reproduce the Organ draw-bar frequencies quite well.

Also I know there is some stigma about buffered-bypass pedals, but when I played normal Steel with the C9 off, I thought the tone was still totally acceptable.
I will have to try it with a True-Bypass pedal.

This was a Country-Rock/Americana band that does several originals, but they did the song "US Blues" and that one was really great for Organ Steel background chords.

When the C9 is ON I had the Clean volume knob at 0, and the Organ volume knob at about 11 o'clock, to match my pedal bypassed volume. I had the C9 pedal at arms reach for on the fly adjustments.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2017 3:41 pm    

Has anyone A/B'd the EH pedals vs Boss RT-20.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 8:04 am    

The Boss RT-20 is a good unit. Very Happy

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 10:47 am    

There is a good discussion going on in Herb's POG2 vs Vent thread about the B9/C9 and also rotary simulators.

Bill

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2017 11:10 am    

Bill Rowlett wrote:
There is a good discussion going on in Herb's POG2 vs Vent thread about the B9/C9 and also rotary simulators.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=307943